03-31-2017 03:41 PM
30 12
tools
    Hello, I have a brand new out of the box Lumia 650 and it takes 10 seconds to load the messenger...It sounds pretty slow for a new phone, is this normal? Can someone help?

Additionally, is it safe to use a gmail client that is unofficial and give them my email details?
    02-24-2017 02:26 PM
    Totally normal for some its over 15 seconds, that is if you are referring to the FB messenger App, the service runs slow even on more powerful devices.
    libra89, MARTY1774, Elky64 and 1 others like this.
    02-24-2017 02:30 PM
    It's been months(if not a year) since all FB apps got an update and if you're expecting other apps will be smoother then you're dead wrong brother some(kidding, most) apps didn't even get an update for years if at all . Sooo, I think you've made a big mistake picking a Windows Phone IMHO if you're expecting fluidly fast and buttery smooth apps. Just get a decent Android Phone instead if you want your apps up to date because that's not gonna happened here any time soon(if at all).
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-24-2017 03:09 PM
    If you mean Facebook Messenger, I can't say as I don't use it. If you are talking about Microsoft Messenger, it take about 3 seconds on my 650.
    02-25-2017 08:36 AM
    Hello, I have a brand new out of the box Lumia 650 and it takes 10 seconds to load the messenger...It sounds pretty slow for a new phone, is this normal? Can someone help?

Additionally, is it safe to use a gmail client that is unofficial and give them my email details?
    The app itself is ported from iOS because Facebook doesn't seem to care enough to make a native app for Windows. In other words, the app is crap. There are missing features, sometimes crashes, you can't view all photos in a chat etc. It's usable but in a huge need for an update. My friends won't stop blaming the entire OS for the poor performance of the app, which is wrong and I have to prove them wrong every time.

About Gmail, why don't you link it with Outlook?

Sent from mTalk
    Elky64 likes this.
    02-25-2017 09:01 AM
    Don't use messenger much but yes it does take a while to open. Below are the approximate numbers I got for 650/950 with third being from background.

1st open 650 = 25 sec/950 = 21 sec (first launch of day w/app closed)
    2nd open 650 = 8 sec/950 = 5 sec (subsequent launches after first, w/app closed)
    3rd open 650 = 1.5 sec/950 = 1 sec (from background)

As you can see the extra horsepower of the 950 isn't making a huge difference.
    Vasil Dechkov likes this.
    02-25-2017 01:15 PM
    Just consider to use Edge browser (m.facebook.com), just pin it on your start. It is clearly faster by that way.
    02-25-2017 02:36 PM
    Facebook in windows phone is bretty slow. Also facebook desktop app have same problem. No idea why they dont make it good. Example twitter works great in desktop and windows phone. Sometimes my facebook wont open at all but usually it will open. It's true that facebook dont update their app in windows store. Maybe because they dont see reason for it
    02-25-2017 02:50 PM
    try this http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...-new-post.html

yes that's pretty much the only solution we have
    Rosebank likes this.
    02-25-2017 03:23 PM
    Same here on my Lumia 540 ! It takes 15 sec to open messenger! It's Facebook who is responsible for this! Facebook developers developed an buggy & slow apps for w10m
    juanitoriv likes this.
    02-26-2017 12:33 AM
    let facebook developers know using feedback from within messenger app, so they can develop a better messenger app
    02-26-2017 03:21 AM
    Totally normal for some its over 15 seconds, that is if you are referring to the FB messenger App, the service runs slow even on more powerful devices.
    As mentioned, this is normal. Consider this an embodiment of Microsoft's unofficial 'coming soon' slogan, in the sense that you have to wait.
    Rosebank likes this.
    02-26-2017 04:58 AM
    It takes 18 seconds to start Messenger on my 950 after I've started the phone, and about 22 for FB. Even cutting the time in half would make me happy at this point.
    02-26-2017 08:03 AM
    It's because of the poor development it's not optimized for the Windows os and 1gb devices. Lazy development by lazy developers

Sent from Idol 4s
    02-26-2017 08:43 AM
    It's because of the poor development it's not optimized for the Windows os and 1gb devices. Lazy development by lazy developers

Sent from Idol 4s
    I personally wouldn't be so quick to label it as lazy especially considering the state of WM and MS's indecisiveness with the platform. Another change-of-direction would mean any effort devs put into an app now would just result in another reboot, where's the enticement in that?
    xandros9 and EspHack like this.
    02-26-2017 11:28 AM
    I personally wouldn't be so quick to label it as lazy especially considering the state of WM and MS's indecisiveness with the platform. Another change-of-direction would mean any effort devs put into an app now would just result in another reboot, where's the enticement in that?
    How is a messaging app requiring 2GB of RAM not lazy development?
    02-27-2017 07:53 AM
    Which app are you talking about?

Edit: I don't think 64 GB would make this app snappier.
    Last edited by SL2; 02-27-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    02-27-2017 10:45 AM
    Many apps (all platforms) came out of the gate far from being shining stars and required constant updates to improve. I see Messenger for WM being no different except that MSFT's indecisiveness in where their platform is headed has caused devs to lose interest, lose interest in bringing forward those updates that would or could improve the present anomalies within Messenger.

Just look at all the apps that have vanished or haven't been updated in years. If one looks at the big picture you'll soon realize laziness is far from the reasoning for such.
    02-27-2017 08:14 PM
    Many apps (all platforms) came out of the gate far from being shining stars and required constant updates to improve. I see Messenger for WM being no different except that MSFT's indecisiveness in where their platform is headed has caused devs to lose interest, lose interest in bringing forward those updates that would or could improve the present anomalies within Messenger.

Just look at all the apps that have vanished or haven't been updated in years. If one looks at the big picture you'll soon realize laziness is far from the reasoning for such.
    Both Facebook and FB Messenger have pretty terrible performance, missing features and require at least 2 GB of RAM, while Instagram, which is also owned by Facebook, works just fine and gets frequent updates.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-28-2017 02:56 PM
    Both Facebook and FB Messenger have pretty terrible performance, missing features and require at least 2 GB of RAM..
    Do you mean 2 GB RAM in total, or available for apps?

My 950 have 1,5 GB available for apps, and those (FB) apps takes about 20 seconds to start.
    02-28-2017 04:29 PM
    I hate FB, but ya know, it's one of those things. And as far as updates go, I'm using WPCentral app for 8.1.. I do not like the new one.
    02-28-2017 05:59 PM
    I hate FB, but ya know, it's one of those things. And as far as updates go, I'm using WPCentral app for 8.1.. I do not like the new one.
    yea I also gave up and started using the old 8.1 app again, it just works

maybe I'm wrong but if this app is practically the same even on pc, its clear as water its a horrendous software in regards to performance, since it runs the same on my laptop and a gaming desk pc which is absolute overkill for any kind of messaging platform

as a result, I use slimsocial and old 8.1 messenger on phone, and messengerfordesktop app on pc, for some reason I never want to browse facebook on pc so I just use that 3rd party messenger app which is awesome
    libra89 likes this.
    02-28-2017 10:59 PM
    Do you mean 2 GB RAM in total, or available for apps?

My 950 have 1,5 GB available for apps, and those (FB) apps takes about 20 seconds to start.
    Not sure, probably total. In the Store under system requierements it says, that it needs 2 GB of RAM
    03-04-2017 01:38 AM
    Your 950 has 3gig of ram, not 1.5gig. Any suspended apps will drop out of ram if the running app needs it, so there is no concept of ram 'available to apps'. Certainly no way to measure this, so I'm not sure what figure you're reading but it is not relevant.
    03-06-2017 06:52 AM
    Certainly no way to measure this, so I'm not sure what figure you're reading but it is not relevant.
    This is where I got it from.
    wp_ss_20170307_0001.jpg
    03-06-2017 05:49 PM
30 12