Commute live tile in Win 10 Mobile?

sylwiuszp

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Hello.
I'm new on this forum albeit not so "new" in terms of Windows Phone/Mobile practice :) I have plans to return to using Windows 10 Mobile Phone but I can't check one thing, that was available on version 8.x. I'm writing about Commute live tile. It was directly connected with Here Drive app, you could just set your work or home location, set live tile for that and see estimate travel time. Street traffic was considered by this app so it was quite accurate and very usable for everyday work and back home drive. Now I have similar thing with Google app (in Google Now launcher) on Android. Is it possible to have it with Windows 10 mobile too? I know that Maps got a live tile about one year ago but I can't find any good description of its full functionality in practice...
This is in fact the last thing that I need to make switch all other considerations are already cleared ;-)

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
One thing I know: When an appointment has a location included, the system will pop up with a reminder when it's "time to leave." That's different than what you asking, but in the same domain. As for giving commute drive time to work every day (without putting in your calender), which Waze had? I just don't know. It could be under Cortana. 1½¢ (not enough for 2¢).

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I remember getting notifications about my commute time in the past, and I cannot remember if it was on the home screen or on the lock screen, but I am not seeing that as a selectable setting in MAPS now or in notifications or apps in settings.

sylwiuszp

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
One thing I know: When an appointment has a location included, the system will pop up with a reminder when it's "time to leave." That's different than what you asking, but in the same domain. As for giving commute drive time to work every day (without putting in your calender), which Waze had? I just don't know. It could be under Cortana. 1½¢ (not enough for 2¢).
Thanks! That's good to know, this feature is present in Android too, but I've never used it so far, perhaps I would with W10M ;-)

sylwiuszp

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I remember getting notifications about my commute time in the past, and I cannot remember if it was on the home screen or on the lock screen, but I am not seeing that as a selectable setting in MAPS now or in notifications or apps in settings.
Well, I'm not sure how UWP Maps app from PC version of Windows 10 should behave on mobile, but when I tried it on home computer it allowed me to create route to my work and pin it in start menu. And while this live tile is not "live" at all but it should be sufficient then to have possibility to quickly open Maps app with my route already calculated with traffic in mind. Could somebody check it please? :)

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure how UWP Maps app from PC version of Windows 10 should behave on mobile, but when I tried it on home computer it allowed me to create route to my work and pin it in start menu. And while this live tile is not "live" at all but it should be sufficient then to have possibility to quickly open Maps app with my route already calculated with traffic in mind. Could somebody check it please? :)

I did that on my phone, but it creates a voice guided navigation with map icon that will launch when you select it. I will try it out and let you know. I live very close to work so I would not really be able to determine if traffic is taken into account on the estimated time it displays.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
It shows travel time when in guided navigation mode. If you are stopped in traffic I would think it would adjust drive time, but I can't see where it would calculate with traffic load considerations.

sylwiuszp

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Many, many thanks. I think it should be OK. As in regards to traffic consideration I believe it should use it as it is "visible" by maps. The only option to check it would be to calculate the same route in maps itself. Thanks again :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@sylwiuszp Cortana does tell you stuff like you better leave now if you want to get home and it will consider driving or transit. I turned it on my wife's 950 and she started complaining to me about it cause she takes transit and she already knows what bus/train she needs to take lol.

Presing cortana will show a tile that asks "get traffic updates for your commute" You have to turn this on in cortana settings. I work from home so no commute lol.

Finally, traffic is considered in maps but it's not clear how or how frequent the update is. I was in Toronto for a business trip and going back to the hotel, one day was by highway, next day it was by regular roads. It was due to heavy traffic on the highway, Maps figured it would be quicker by local road.

I would like it to give more insight about this before just taking off though! Maybe I just pressed directions and go really quickly without checking out their suggestions.

sylwiuszp

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Oh, thanks, that could be a solution too! I will try it as soon as I have Lumia 650 which I expect to receive tomorrow (they are dirt cheap now). I hope Cortana works on 650 (without "hey cortana" as I read here and there). Damn it, I'm glad to return to WM after years ;-)

sylwiuszp

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I believe it could be of use on desktop Windows 10 too. Imagine that you could just take a peek in menu start to see if drive time to home is about normal or some traffic jams are in the city... IS there any way to suggest that to MS? :)

sylwiuszp

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
OK, small update. It seem MS reads our forum! In the newest Maps we have now new menu position - Traffic (not "Traffic" layer!). When you select it and you have Home and Work addresses defined you will get info about distance, traffic situation (with appropriately coloured dot) and direct links to see proposed routes on maps or to go directly to navigation. What's more, you can pin that to start menu! Roght now live tile is not "live" at all but at least it allows you to go directly to this menu and have situation at hand!!! Great job :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077