04-25-2017 07:42 AM
209 ... 56789
tools
    I am a long time WP user, have used many lumias.
    But due to 'app gap' and some other issues, i changed ships.
    As of now, i have an Iphone 6 from work, a One plus 3 as personal daily driver AND a 640 XL which i use occasionally when i get all nostalgic about WP

To tell you guys the truth
    # Iphone is good when it comes to stability, apps, restoring from backups etc - but i always feel it is an overpriced phone with less user controls. It feels like a toy :P
    # One plus 3- very good camera, real fast charging but what puts me off is occasional heating up issues, battery drains real fast, hangs/freezes and occasional unexplained reboots. Is short, i cannot count on this device. Battery may drain unexpectedly, etc..
    # Lumia 640XL - love the UI, the plastic feel :P ( i hate metallic feel of the phones), very good camera, OS fluidity.. Occasional lags, app crashes are common but not show stoppers. I feel its real value for money **If you don't have issues with App gap**

To Sum up, i love WP, have always loved it. BUT MS screwed it up :(
    App gap can get frustrating sometimes.
    I am not a big fan of apps. I mostly use twitter, mails, whatsapp, maps etc. All these seem to work well. BUT some apps like uber, banking apps ( Indian banks) and MS office seems to suck real bad !!!

** If MS "could" close the app gap for critical apps, spend some bucks on marketing, i believe WP can bring IOS and Android to their knees**

Is it just me or you folks too get the same feeling or dumping IOS/android and moving back to "home" ;)
    What do you guys think? Please share views and opinions..
    03-23-2017 05:28 AM
    As of now, i have an Iphone 6 from work, a One plus 3 as personal daily driver AND a 640 XL which i use occasionally when i get all nostalgic about WP

# Iphone is good when it comes to stability, apps, restoring from backups etc - but i always feel it is an overpriced phone with less user controls. It feels like a toy :P
    # One plus 3- very good camera, real fast charging but what puts me off is occasional heating up issues, battery drains real fast, hangs/freezes and occasional unexplained reboots. Is short, i cannot count on this device. Battery may drain unexpectedly, etc..
    # Lumia 640XL - love the UI, the plastic feel :P ( i hate metallic feel of the phones), very good camera, OS fluidity.. Occasional lags, app crashes are common but not show stoppers. I feel its real value for money **If you don't have issues with App gap**

I am not a big fan of apps. I mostly use twitter, mails, whatsapp, maps etc. All these seem to work well. BUT some apps like uber, banking apps ( Indian banks) and MS office seems to suck real bad !!!

** If MS "could" close the app gap for critical apps, spend some bucks on marketing, i believe WP can bring IOS and Android to their knees**

Is it just me or you folks too get the same feeling or dumping IOS/android and moving back to "home" ;)
    If and when at any point wm mobile can compete neck and beck with either android or iOS in all categories not just a couple then I and millions may consider. I left 2 years ago and as for wm10 apps have not only left but lost support. Not what I'm looking for. So when the time come that wm10 can equally compete or beat iOS or androids then sure I'll fire up my 1520 and check it out but not until then and consumers are leaving wm10 way more than returning.
    John Wolf1 and ak_r7 like this.
    03-23-2017 05:45 AM
    I love windows phone. Better than android and iPhone in my opinion. Sometimes it feels like google is paying some developers for dropping their support on their apps for this platform. One case is of IMDb. They won't create and won't let anyone create their app. A developer asked to create a free app for indb for free. But IMDb refused for no reason and without providing any reason. So it is not just Microsoft's poor marketing to blame.

I owned 520 from 2014 and bought 640xl in November, 2016. No regrets. I have also used Android and iPhone but i don't like those platform. IPhone is basically hey-look-I-have-an-iPhone and nothing more than that. Android is good only in terms of the apps, nothing else. I am not exaggerating or biased but I really believe the W10 phone is the best platform. The interface is beautiful and, people might not agree, but more customizable than Android and iOS. Android's UI gives me headache.
    Last edited by abhiFT; 03-23-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    ak_r7 likes this.
    03-23-2017 06:48 AM
    I especially miss the WP interface. I moved to Apple because Microsoft didn't support my Lumia 1020 under Windows 10 mobile. I didn't go to Android because I work with Android and far too many hangs etc. I'd move back to Microsoft if they have a really good device (better than anything out there) at an iPhone price.
    03-23-2017 08:04 AM
    I would definitely considering returning to Windows Mobile, as I would in fact still be using my Lumia 950 as my daily driver had it not started suffering battery issues; even after replacing the battery. As I could not rely on it for work, I purchased an Unlocked Android phone(Nextbit Robin: has the exact same specs as the Lumia 950, + Fingerprint reader) for $150 and intend to wait and see how the Windows Mobile landscape looks moving into end of 2017/2018.

I still use my Lumia 950 occasionally, keeping it updated and use Continuum to play Minecraft with my son. :-D I am thinking I will probably start trying insider builds again on it as well. Continuum is also something I find fascinating, and think it could really be useful in the future.

As for Android, it's been nice experiencing no shortage in apps, but I am using a lot of Microsoft services still. I also use the MS Arrow Launcher, which I love, and it can show the most used apps, which are almost all on Windows Mobile in some form, so the app gap was never really that big of an issue for me.

Trying to stay hopeful and patient as we wait for any word from Redmond.
    ak_r7 likes this.
    03-23-2017 08:50 AM
    The Microsoft support for Android is in many ways better than for Windows Mobile. I think the OneDrive app is slicker on Android, and although the Office apps are about a push between the platforms. I'm still bouncing around between just sticking with Android or giving my x3 a legit chance. It's a great piece of hardware but I usually hang on to devices for a year or so and I'm not sure what support will be like over that time frame.
    ak_r7 likes this.
    03-23-2017 09:03 AM
    I recently (as of 1 month) traded in my Lumia 950 for a Galaxy S7 Edge... It was sad, but glorious! The new screen! The apps! What have I been missing?! But when all is said and done, I still gaze out onto the horizon and give a sigh... Sometimes I'll need to do something on my new Edge and I'll attempt to use the Cortana app, but she's not the same. (queue the slow sad music in the bg) I still have an old Lumia 1520 to play around with, but I'm content with my Edge. For now, I'll keep using my Edge and play around with the 1520 hoping for the day that WP redeems itself.
    03-23-2017 09:06 AM
    On WP since 7 and the bugs and apps finally get to me. Like every long term WP user I use very few apps and Amazon/ebay/paypal all disco. Other apps I wish I have are bank, parking, action cam app that work and myvolt(I planning to get one and that's the point I leave), I gave up hopes they're coming. And the bugs, especially camera and SD card related are killing me(950/xl). Not to mention continuum is a disappointment to me, you know if I have access to a monitor/kb/ms they always attached to a PC. I might as well just use the PC. Not to mention no new phones coming with good camera and camera button.
    03-23-2017 09:11 AM

Offtopic. I have some problems whit camera flash and photos lumia 640 lte, windows 10. 14393.953 How to reset camera and photos app to default. Thanks, and sorry for jump for another theme.
    03-23-2017 09:30 AM
    I started out on Android back when it was first introduced. I switched to WP7 the day it was released. I prefer Windows ecosystem to both Apple and Google. There are many personal reasons, but one of the most important reasons is because of the man behind MS, Bill Gates. He has done, and continues doing, great things for this world, including his wife. The UI in W10M is far superior to anything Android and Apple has. I like how busy it can look or how simple and plain you can make it. The App gap can be frustrating for the one or two apps that I would like to use, aka SnapChat... But someday that should change. For now, I bought a $20 Android phone to use snapchat.
    03-23-2017 09:45 AM
    I started with a Samsung Focus 7 and paid full price $299 for a Lumia 1020 right after it was released. That was my favorite phone to date. I left because my employer had a mandatory app for paging engineers after hours that wasn't on WM. I would go back if apps that I must have were available. I would give up more than a few of my "optional" apps just to have the live tiles back but some apps I am simply required to use and using two phones is not a realistic option.
    03-23-2017 10:40 AM
    To follow up in agreement (and because I dunno how to make a new post),

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy J3. I hate Samsung phones, so why am I doing this?

I've always been a Zune fan, which is why I still foam at the mouth over WP7. It just has the hub experience, focus on typography, and stinking awesome animations that make me love the platform. It's customizable, more so than iPhone, but it's also indestructible and almost never crashes. Sure, it was lacking features, but it was a brick inside and out, never crashing for no reason. I loved it.

Then my Lumia 920 came in, which I loved too, but not in quite the same way. A few features that I loved were slowly going away, but I enjoyed everything the new platform brought. It was still the best phone for me, and I used it every day until I accidentally fried it (long story for another day).

Next was my 635, running 8.1. Don't get me wrong, tiles with background and Cortana were both features I showed off to my friends, but... I could tell something was missing.

Then I got a 640 and updated to Windows 10, and I discovered what I was missing. Sure, it was nice. The bigger app store, the shared app case and experience... It was nice. But after Microsoft stopped fixing big bugs in a timely fashion and stopped adding important features, it felt like a gimmick. Plus, I was sick and tired of not being able to use many apps that I wanted to (I even wrote emails to several companies, begging for WP apps. They were all answered... but they said no).

So what did I do? I bought a Blackberry Passport.

Yes.

I became a Blackberry user.

And I still would be if it wasn't for me accidentally breaking the battery and voiding my warranty.

I have a thing for voiding warranties.

Anyway, so I needed a new phone and fast, and I decided to do something crazy. I bought the same phone as two of my friends, the Samsung Galaxy J3. And yes, I felt like a traitor. And yes, it was hideous and I've changed every aspect of the design to fit my needs.

Here's the point of this article: the discovered something on Android. There was a Zune theme, and my heart (and the rest of me) did a happy dance. Plus, I hate to admit it, but Google Now on tap was... better than Cortana. Better search results aside, it was fast, stable, responsive, and context sensitive to my page, something that Microsoft hasn't got around to doing yet and won't for a while.

Oh, and Microsoft's apps are over here. Unfortunately, the good versions, too.

Currently, Android is more like WP7 than Windows 10 Mobile is. Microsoft has a bad habit of making good ideas, letting other companies do them first (and better), and when they finally get around to doing them, they're underpowered, buggy, and have no user base, so they move on and Google makes the victory.

As of right now, there's no reason to go back. Don't get me wrong, I love Windows Mobile, but unless they can get themselves together and make Continuum happen realistically... and maybe add a physical keyboard... I'm not coming back any time soon.

Oh, and then there's the app gap.
    03-23-2017 10:40 AM
    I switched to an iPhone 7 for work and an iPhone 7 Plus for personal this year. I would consider switching back to Windows 10 Mobile in a year, but only if certain conditions were met.

First, the thing that made leave urgently was my 950 XL stopped working as a dual-SIM phone because AT&T shut down their 2G network this year, making my 2nd SIM slot useless. Having a dual-SIM phone that both support LTE is required.

Secondly, I drive a huge amount for work, sometimes spending 8-9 hours a day on the road. The lack of functionality for using Windows 10 Mobile in the car is extremely frustrating. Microsoft should have supported MirrorLink, especially given their push for all things Continuum. Even Microsoft apps on iOS refuse to support CarPlay. This has led me to not renew my Groove Music subscription, etc. Microsoft seems to be hell-bent on doing everything they can to frustrate those of us who drive cars.

If Microsoft were to resolve the two issues above, I would absolutely consider coming back, but not until then. Unfortunately, I don't see them ever doing either.
    ak_r7 and Joe920 like this.
    03-23-2017 10:44 AM
    I left Window Phone over 3 years ago. The HTC 8x was the last time I used a WP. I use to rotate between WP, Android,, and iOS. But I dropped iOS and eventually dropped WP. Now I'm 100% Android. I'd gladly comeback to WP, if they gave me a compelling reason to comeback.

That app gap is real and is a killer. But if they can bring their x86 plans to fruition, that would be a start.
    03-23-2017 11:07 AM
    Love my 950 XL, no plans to leave.
    ak_r7 likes this.
    03-23-2017 11:30 AM
    Can't leave. Grid of icons too boring.
    ak_r7 likes this.
    03-23-2017 12:30 PM
    I tried very hard not to leave. And yet each day there is less and less compiling reason to stay.
    03-23-2017 01:24 PM
    I love the idea of Windows Phone, I really do. Still have a 640 in my bag. And if all you need is a phone, with texting, email and light browsing, then Windows Phone would be perfect. I need VPN, helpdesk apps, Active Directory apps, solid dropbox support, and a smattering of financial and fun apps.

I can't do most of that with Windows Phone. With a working VPN, I could do some of those things in the browser, but not very easily.

For whatever it's worth, Microsoft never intrigued the developers enough to support the platform, and now it is mostly dead. I wish it was viable, I love to use it, but I think we all know it is too late for Windows Phone 10 to succeed.
    03-23-2017 01:46 PM
    Not likely, ever! 1) Microsoft would have to start supporting their product FIRST over iOS and Android. I'm not saying they shouldn't support iOS and Android, I'm saying they need to make darn sure their apps work at least as well on their own platform as they do on iOS and Android. Why in the world would I want a second rate experience with Microsoft apps on their own platform when I can get first rate with iOS and Android? You can thank Nadella for that. 2) Win over developer support. With no apps, NO ONE, and mean NO ONE wants the product, not even ENTERPRISE users. Microsoft lives in this fantasy world that they can win over Enterprise users. What they fail to realize is that Enterprise devices are a thing of the past and that was 5 years ago. Everything is BYOD and guess what, people aren't bringing Windows Phones because you can't do anything with them except make calls.
    03-23-2017 02:17 PM
    We were a three WP family at one point. I had a Nokia Lumia Icon, my wife had a Samsung ATIV SE, and my daughter had an HTC Trophy. I loved WP and would love to have been able to keep using it but over time, the things that made WP special began to disappear. I loved the old WP7 ability that tied your contacts and the social media together so tightly. Family Rooms and the like. There weren't many apps but because I never had the access to them, I didn't feel the app gap.

As WP became less supported by MS, I saw the writing on the wall. I switched to Android with a Nexus 6P and my wife and daughter are both on the iPhone SE. We have now become accustomed to the large variety of apps and I can't imagine going back to WP unless one thing happens -

A REAL SURFACE PHONE RUNNING FULL W10 WITH ALL THE APPS THAT W10 SUPPORTS

I would be back in a heartbeat.
    thekonger likes this.
    03-23-2017 03:01 PM
    I'm saying they need to make darn sure their apps work at least as well on their own platform as they do on iOS and Android.
    If Microsoft would get the OS taken care of, and I bet you'd find that the apps "magically" work quite well.
    03-23-2017 03:18 PM
    Support and use what you like, or be part of the problem.
    Huh? This type of misguided belief isn't helping Window's Phone. You shouldn't have to quit your mobile carrier or pretend you don't want more apps to help WP.

MS needs to get phones in all brick and mortar stores on ALL carriers so people can buy them. Having to buy them off-contract through MS's site and only being able to work on certain carriers is a silly business model and it's one of the MAJOR reasons MS is losing so badly.

Accusing the consumer of being part of the problem isn't going to help anyone.
    John Wolf1 likes this.
    03-23-2017 03:31 PM
    My position also.
    03-23-2017 03:31 PM
    Help us beg for a Band 3?

In a lot of ways I never left... yes I did but I never stopped thinking about my Windows Mobile from back in the day. It had it all. Then Windows Phone happened and features fell away. I've always had a Windows Mobile/Windows Phone in a drawer and have bought a new AT&T GoPhone each year to keep up with the platform but instability, the lost features, the app gap always kept me from staying long. Windows Phone was /the/ fastest way to take a picture and then post it to Facebook or Twitter back around 2010 and then, just overnight, it wasn't. My original motivation to have Windows Mobile was to have Outlook on my phone. I felt like I just had to have my calendar and task list with me at all times. Now I can get Outlook on any mobile device but the task list doesn't follow. Wunderlist is good but I have found that I actually like iCal and Reminders on my iPhone much better. This should have never happened, but it did. Google probably has a better calendar but has always left those who want a good task list wanting. So, as an ecosystem, I feel better with iCal and Reminders but have an Outlook.com address no matter which device is in my hand. I'm more than ready to have a Windows 10 Mobile device in my pocket as a daily driver but there are a few things I struggle with that keeps me from doing that. One of those most obscure things is the lack of a wearable. Microsoft should have had a watch all along instead of the Band but I pre-ordered the very first Microsoft Band before there was a single review on it and I loved it. I wore the paint off of that thing. It is /ugly/ now but I upgraded to the Band 2 without any reviews to go off or any advertisements to tell me what may have been updated or changed. I was pleasantly surprised that the screen was bigger, wrapped around my wrist better and had a twist of the wrist to wake function that I loved. I wore it out too and actually felt remorse when I heard that Microsoft would not be releasing the Band 3. So, since I was in the Apple ecosystem too, I purchased an Apple Watch. It's not bad looking, it's very comfortable and it has some really cool gimmicky stuff. However, it doesn't come close to the accuracy and availability of valuable data like sleep, the explorer function and other stuff that made me praise the Band so much. Now it's gone and so is my desire to lay down coin on the Microsoft ecosystem. I keep watching though, waiting, wanting... Microsoft is home and I'm ready to return.
    03-23-2017 04:05 PM
    I really hope to be back using Windows Mobile at some point in the future. I never thought I would ever move to a different OS, but the buggy builds following the anniversary update made for a disappointing experience. I still have my 950 and have no plans to get rid of it.
    libra89 and TgeekB like this.
    03-23-2017 07:06 PM
209 ... 56789