I keep coming back to Windows Phone

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am a long time WP user, have used many lumias.
But due to 'app gap' and some other issues, i changed ships.
As of now, i have an Iphone 6 from work, a One plus 3 as personal daily driver AND a 640 XL which i use occasionally when i get all nostalgic about WP :grin:

To tell you guys the truth
# Iphone is good when it comes to stability, apps, restoring from backups etc - but i always feel it is an overpriced phone with less user controls. It feels like a toy :p
# One plus 3- very good camera, real fast charging but what puts me off is occasional heating up issues, battery drains real fast, hangs/freezes and occasional unexplained reboots. Is short, i cannot count on this device. Battery may drain unexpectedly, etc..
# Lumia 640XL - love the UI, the plastic feel :p ( i hate metallic feel of the phones), very good camera, OS fluidity.. Occasional lags, app crashes are common but not show stoppers. I feel its real value for money **If you don't have issues with App gap**

To Sum up, i love WP, have always loved it. BUT MS screwed it up :(
App gap can get frustrating sometimes.
I am not a big fan of apps. I mostly use twitter, mails, whatsapp, maps etc. All these seem to work well. BUT some apps like uber, banking apps ( Indian banks) and MS office seems to suck real bad !!!

** If MS "could" close the app gap for critical apps, spend some bucks on marketing, i believe WP can bring IOS and Android to their knees**

Is it just me or you folks too get the same feeling or dumping IOS/android and moving back to "home" ;)
What do you guys think? Please share views and opinions..

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: I Keep coming back to WP

That's exactly what I did. I have used many devices on many platforms. I feel like WM works best overall for me.
Is there an app gap? Yes there is, but I don't find it a problem in my everyday life. I prefer the OS of Windows.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Last edited:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

I know myself too well. I know if I change I will eventually come back so . . . might as well stay put.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Interesting thread.

For me, I find that I just don't want to let go and I see myself possibly using the other platforms mainly for a while. Most of the apps I use have similar (or close enough) abilities on this platform. I am lacking two apps that are very important to me. One has an another app that I can use for the same thing and the other has a workaround that isn't too bad.

I see this being the case for a while because of the lack of smaller phones with good battery life and nice cameras together. The 521 and 925 might be very old but they both have my ideal phone size in mind. The 925 has that combined with cameras. That is seriously lacking here.

If/When one of the OEMs or Microsoft (doubt it) decide to make a nice, smaller phone with very good battery life, I wouldn't mind trying out this platform full time.

tl;dr: Open to coming back fully if there's hardware that meets my personal needs. Right now, there isn't anything that does so part-time it is for me.

John Wolf1

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site

I felt the same way. I went to Android last year. I'm hear to stay. The app gap is too large. I travel all the time for work and I actually need the apps that aren't on WP. One more huge reason is I am on Verizon, there are no choices for WP. I didn't leave WP, it left me.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I felt the same way. I went to Android last year. I'm hear to stay. The app gap is too large. I travel all the time for work and I actually need the apps that aren't on WP. One more huge reason is I am on Verizon, there are no choices for WP. I didn't leave WP, it left me.

We quit Verizon and are better for it. We have lower prices and better service on both T-Mobile and ATT. The so called app gap is non-existent for us. We are focused on our work and producing projects. Others must just be wasting time with unimportant apps.

Windows mobile phone is the solution we like and is the only business solution for us. Plus it is modern and doesn't look like a 1995 chicklet icon solution from apple or google.

Support and use what you like, or be part of the problem.

Best Wishes

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Probably not fair for me to comment as I'm not rocking a Windows Phone at the moment, but I do run a Windows laptop and PC... to be completely transparent though, for me through the years it has always been whatever worked best at the time. I've used Mac/iOS, Android/Chromebook, Windows Phone/Windows 3.1, 95, XP, Vista, 8, 10, etc.... tried them all.

For me, I kind of get into a flow, get comfortable with the mobile and desktop OS, and go from there.

Long story short is... 'go with your gut' I suppose :)

Not sure if this helps, just my 2 cents on the matter!

sreekumarssk

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Edge can bridge app gap

Yes there is some app gap for WP users. I'm using Lumia 950xl. Edge best replacement for missing app. I've flipkart app but I usually take it in edge, the response time is better than app. Edge can bridge the app gap for some app.

Still, we need to compromise for some app. Otherwise nobody can convince WP lovers to any other platform.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Probably not fair for me to comment as I'm not rocking a Windows Phone at the moment, but I do run a Windows laptop and PC... to be completely transparent though, for me through the years it has always been whatever worked best at the time. I've used Mac/iOS, Android/Chromebook, Windows Phone/Windows 3.1, 95, XP, Vista, 8, 10, etc.... tried them all.

For me, I kind of get into a flow, get comfortable with the mobile and desktop OS, and go from there.

Long story short is... 'go with your gut' I suppose :)

Not sure if this helps, just my 2 cents on the matter!

I do exactly the same thing. I have absolutely no brand loyalty and I am the furthest thing from a "******" you'll ever find. I use what works best, today! If tomorrow I felt something else would work better, I'd drop what I have and switch in a heartbeat.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I do exactly the same thing. I have absolutely no brand loyalty and I am the furthest thing from a "******" you'll ever find. I use what works best, today! If tomorrow I felt something else would work better, I'd drop what I have and switch in a heartbeat.

I'm so with you. Whatever works best - use it!! :)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Edge can bridge app gap

Yes there is some app gap for WP users. I'm using Lumia 950xl. Edge best replacement for missing app. I've flipkart app but I usually take it in edge, the response time is better than app. Edge can bridge the app gap for some app.

Still, we need to compromise for some app. Otherwise nobody can convince WP lovers to any other platform.
@sreekumarssk - on app gap - which premier apps are you missing that make things most inconvenient for you? Or have you found other 3rd party replacements to fill the gap?

sreekumarssk

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: Edge can bridge app gap

@sreekumarssk - on app gap - which premier apps are you missing that make things most inconvenient for you? Or have you found other 3rd party replacements to fill the gap?

1. Walnut finance app is not available for WP and iOS
2. IRCTC is available in windows store but not available for my Lumia 950xl
3. Angry birds stella - earlier it was available but it is not showing in store
4. Mint finance app
Few more I'm not remembering

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I've used a device from almost every brand and os as I have a pretty big interest in technology.

They all have their perks and they all have their downfalls.

Honestly I just use whichever one works best for me and that I'm enjoying the most. There's no real one size fits all os or phone for anyone. We all have different tastes and needs and I respect that.

I've only recently dove into using a Windows phone lately and it's interesting. Ive enjoyed the little bit I've tried. At some point I hope to get a little higher end Windows phone so I can give continuum and other things a go, but it does seem like an interesting device.

Do what makes you happy!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

@tgp - still, always fun to try new/different stuff.

Ha, you should see my lineup! Let's see:

1. Windows laptop triple booting Windows 8.1, Windows 7, and Linux Mint
  2. Macbook with Windows 10 on Bootcamp
  3. Mac Mini
  4. Linux desktop
  5. Two Chromebooks
  6. iPad Mini 4 LTE
  7. Nexus 7 2013
  8. Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (my primary phone)
  9. Samsung Galaxy S7 (my wife's phone)
  10. Lumia 650
  11. A few other miscellaneous devices mostly used by the children
With all these devices, I do have my go to's: for desktop it's my Windows laptop or Macbook on Windows 10, for tablet it's the iPad Mini 4, and for phone it's my S7 Edge. My favorites for each form factor are each a different company's OS.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

@meattray - agreed! In the end it has to work for you. I trust your Surface Pro 4 does you right, being a Champion here and all on WC!

Absolutely. It's the best convertible I've ever used and just a fantastic product. Works extremely well for my day to day use and I highly recommend to anyone.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I'd be so lost without it! If that weren't the case then I absolutely would, but I'd miss her so much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb