10 was a big mistake for me.

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I will do a hard reset tonight. I thought I had done so already but I don't actually remember doing it. On a related note, I'm old. I'm also on vacation in NYC, which is a bad place to have a dead phone by late afternoon.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yeah the hard reset tends to help, but my best advise is to get used to it, and learn to work around things

your phone is no longer a -windows phone- it is now a -windows 10 mobile- and that name change is for a reason, everything that wp stood for is now dead(hubs, buttery smooth UI, easy to use UX, innovative software and so on) and it takes a while to take that in for most people

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
If I could go back to 8.1 I would do it in a heartbeat. Battery drain is killing me on my 830. And it charges soooooo sloooowly....

I upgraded my wife's 830 and it's running perfect. It takes a day or so to sync all your pics/music/OneDrive files etc. and reinstall all your apps. It will run hot and drain battery at first, but once it settles down, it should be fine.

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
So I'm down off the ledge for now - did a hard reset, battery was much improved today. But the app gap is getting to me. Everyone says the big ones are either available or there is a third party that's just as good. But it's the little things that make the difference. For instance, I used to have a great NY subway app a couple of years ago, which has apparently been abandoned. That's something I wouldn't have to put up with on either of the other platforms. Sigh...

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I had issues early on but nowadays I get similar if not better battery life on Windows 10 Mobile. The Anniversary Update is more stable and gets great standby for me. I don't use my 830 anymore but my 640 has fantastic stamina and I rarely have issues making it through a day (or even two) with my Lumia 950 XL. Although I will say gaming is a killer. I still don't think many games in the Windows Store are optimized for the 810 or 808, seeing as how they're so uncommon in the Windows world.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So I'm down off the ledge for now - did a hard reset, battery was much improved today. But the app gap is getting to me. Everyone says the big ones are either available or there is a third party that's just as good. But it's the little things that make the difference. For instance, I used to have a great NY subway app a couple of years ago, which has apparently been abandoned. That's something I wouldn't have to put up with on either of the other platforms. Sigh...

I'm picking up what your putting down. Edge is an excellent browser. Why not just pin the mobile site to Start?

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've always preferred bookmarks over apps. But the subway app, for instance, was ***** proof. The website not so much. I'll stick it out for a while longer. I think I might have been the last human to own a Palm Pre, may as well see if I can hold that title with 2 platforms 😞

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
So now not only is my phone charging at a snail's pace, I'm actually getting the notification that it's charging slowly. This despite using the Nokia adapter plugged into an AC outlet. It just gets awesomer.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
So now not only is my phone charging at a snail's pace, I'm actually getting the notification that it's charging slowly. This despite using the Nokia adapter plugged into an AC outlet. It just gets awesomer.

I had that problem with the Lumia 830 even on Windows Phone 8.1. My solution was using the wireless charging. I'm like 99% positive it's just the microUSB port becoming stripped. It's a pretty common issue. I see it a lot.

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've used wireless since day one with this phone. Only when I'm out of town (like this week) do I plug in. The USB port has barely been used, so that seems an unlikely culprit bit I guess anything is possible.

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It appears that 85% is the best I can hope for charge-wise. Maybe I'll look for a new battery. If nothing else I can keep it on me while traveling. I used to do that with my Palm Pre back in the day.

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't heard of WDRT until this thread started. Honestly, I'm coming around on 10. I saw I had about 40 apps with background permission, shut down all but the essential, ditched the FB app, tweaked a few other settings, and battery life is almost back to what it was before, which was outstanding. In no small part to the expertise on this forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo