Is Microsoft Listening?

ITmanagerNC

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Let's face it... there are not many of us left, comparably, to the global mobile community. We test, we send feedback, we deal with the highs and lows but we are faithful. I just got a replacement 1520 for my failed one... and I have an 830 and a 925... oh and a HTC 8x too.

I'm tired of the endless upgrades to get back to the OS version I want... and I can't imagine it would be very difficult for Microsoft to implement two improvements:

Running WDRT, provide a list of up to date base OS options common to that device so we can install that version directly.

Being able to create a manual backup which is not susceptible to being overwritten. Allow us to name it from the device and control it's characteristics (read only, baseline, etc) in Onedrive.

I know I'm not the only one who bemoans the these tasks when getting a new device or resetting because of an issue with a new build.

I also realize Microsoft is extremely interested in the upgrade process to ensure customers get the most reliable experience but I guarantee you there is no value in OUR endless upgrading a vanilla device from 8.1 --> 8.1.1 --> TH1 --> RS1 and soon --> RS2.

I have submitted these in the Feedback hub, lets hope they are still listening.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure they're listening, but whether they will act meaningfully beyond cosmetic and minor under-the-hood improvements is something else entirely.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Money talks.
There isn't any profit for Microsoft in maintaining the platform aggressively so in my opinion WM has been moved to "hobby" status by MS.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
even in their free time the guys at ms can manage to improve w10m it seems, so far its been getting better, slow but getting there

its better than nothing, and honestly a phone for me is just a small computer, an accessory, so its getting the attention it deserves at least for my use case

but yea I wish mobiles where as flexible as computers, thats how I thought they were before getting into "smartphones" I thought I would buy one, install wm6 on it and make it my own, a happy life, lol I still dont get it, but at least we could have a tool, like WDRT that would allow us to manage it more flexibly, like making a full rom backup of the phone, so if anything happen we just flash it back in, and if we could get whatever build we want on the phone and then after flashing it in, the phone can get its drivers and so on, life would be so much enjoyable around here

but nah instead of that we get the current way of doing things, which honestly feels idiotic, overly complicated and frustrating to say the least, with no apparent technical reason, yeah you will see the usual dude claiming mobile devices are special snowflakes and they cant be serviced as easily as x86 computers, of course not, we absolutely need to flash wp8.1 and then get 10586 and then 14393 and then 15051 and then 15063, for fabricated "reasons" really

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Let's face it... there are not many of us left, comparably, to the global mobile community. We test, we send feedback, we deal with the highs and lows but we are faithful. I just got a replacement 1520 for my failed one... and I have an 830 and a 925... oh and a HTC 8x too.

I'm tired of the endless upgrades to get back to the OS version I want... and I can't imagine it would be very difficult for Microsoft to implement two improvements:

Running WDRT, provide a list of up to date base OS options common to that device so we can install that version directly.

Being able to create a manual backup which is not susceptible to being overwritten. Allow us to name it from the device and control it's characteristics (read only, baseline, etc) in Onedrive.

I know I'm not the only one who bemoans the these tasks when getting a new device or resetting because of an issue with a new build.

I also realize Microsoft is extremely interested in the upgrade process to ensure customers get the most reliable experience but I guarantee you there is no value in OUR endless upgrading a vanilla device from 8.1 --> 8.1.1 --> TH1 --> RS1 and soon --> RS2.

I have submitted these in the Feedback hub, lets hope they are still listening.

They don't care. There's not many phones available and they aren't even promoting the OS. The creators update didn't even update much of anything on Mobile. We've been asking for landscape home screen for years and still nothing...doubt if they even care much anymore now they are selling android galaxy phones in their stores

sniperboywc

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
They quit listening a long time ago. When they stopped production of the the Lumia line, they cut off their ears and plucked out their eyes.

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I am upset, undoubtedly. The only thing I want right now I want from MS is to just come to public and say something. Own up to whatever has been going on and tell us that they are done with Windows Phone/Mobile. That would be much better compared to what we are going through. Just be a man or a woman (in case of Dona Sarkar, lol) and tell us to **** off.

Wayne Dupree

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I think this says it all:Samsung Galaxy S8 'Microsoft Edition' will be available in Microsoft Stores | Windows Central

I was a WP fan since Mango and kept using it through October of last year when my 1520 finally needed a second battery. My wife had already made the jump to Android - we were getting ready to head to Disney later that month and I had to make the jump myself. I've been using a "WinDroid" (much like I suspect they will sell in-stores above) since. I suspect Microsoft is listening - just not in the way we think they should.

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they're listening. I mean, you just have to look at all the upvoted feedback that goes ignored. Of course, they can't implement every little suggestion, but there's still a fair few suggestions that are highly in-demand yet completely ignored.

And yeah, all suggestions can't be implemented, but all bugs should be fixed, and there's bugs that have been around for a while now that haven't been addressed. Overall, the W10M experience is better than it was at 10586, but there's still little things that need to be fixed, but haven't been.

So, are they listening? We have no definitive answer. We can only guess from their attitudes towards W10M. And my guess is no, they simply aren't listening.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Using windows 10 mobile on both Lumia 1520 and 950xl. Quite happy with the upgrades and updates. Phone and software do get better.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I'd agree in that while there aren't any new devices directly from then they are consistently updating the software. That's a plus I'm itself. It at least allows your older hardware to still run some newer programs.

Hopefully things will clear up over the next while with their full plans.

Tunde Fajimi

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Money talks.
There isn't any profit for Microsoft in maintaining the platform aggressively so in my opinion WM has been moved to "hobby" status by MS.

As long as Microsoft cannot get (or mandate) its staff - especially the developers - to use its mobile platform (even as work-only phones), they'll never be invested enough to resolve the problems with the platform.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Thing is MS is operating at a level that they promise features and app features for the next level of OS upgrade and not update and right before its release, take out some features that opened our eyes to say they're actually doing something then for us to get the upgrade and wait for the next iteration of the OS to be released with more promises and broken right before.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes I think they NEVER listened.
Example: There was a big request about having a Week View in the calendar since day one. A WEEK VIEW. Something WM6 had.

In Uservoice the wish was supported by thousends and thousend of votes.
They needed YEARS to accomplish it.

It even seems they listen more now than 5 years ago.

I love the system, but those working on it did not. Apart that, they not even used the WP Phones themselves as a daliy driver, not WP7, not WP8, nor 8.1 and W10M.
Why? Simple, the calendar was so abysmal to use, not searchable, etc., I can't believe they would have let this edure for years if they would have USED it, LOVED it.

anon(9645112)

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Is Microsoft Listening? I don't think so..........

Last year Microsoft said that they will focus on Mobile in future and they didn't focus on Mobile that time. But they still continued this till Creators Update where it was supposed to be focused for Mobile. Also apps like Paint 3D, Windows Inking and other features that are available for Desktop and not for Mobile simply shows that they are not interested in Windows 10 Mobile.

And Microsoft using the Samsung Galaxy S8 to for their services shows that they will slowly....very slowly.....and steadily kill Windows 10 Mobile. And we, Windows Phone users will be left behind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster