Is Microsoft Listening?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Let's face it... there are not many of us left, comparably, to the global mobile community. We test, we send feedback, we deal with the highs and lows but we are faithful. I just got a replacement 1520 for my failed one... and I have an 830 and a 925... oh and a HTC 8x too.

I'm tired of the endless upgrades to get back to the OS version I want... and I can't imagine it would be very difficult for Microsoft to implement two improvements:

Running WDRT, provide a list of up to date base OS options common to that device so we can install that version directly.

Being able to create a manual backup which is not susceptible to being overwritten. Allow us to name it from the device and control it's characteristics (read only, baseline, etc) in Onedrive.

I know I'm not the only one who bemoans the these tasks when getting a new device or resetting because of an issue with a new build.

I also realize Microsoft is extremely interested in the upgrade process to ensure customers get the most reliable experience but I guarantee you there is no value in OUR endless upgrading a vanilla device from 8.1 --> 8.1.1 --> TH1 --> RS1 and soon --> RS2.

I have submitted these in the Feedback hub, lets hope they are still listening.
Now we know why they may have not been listening, or at least listening to the point of changing stuff from some of this feedback.

The only Lumia now supported from the WP8 upgrade path. going forward is the 640. Not many left now that they need to worry about.

For me, I'll keep sticking around driving until the wheels fall off.

jimh12345

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
What I've learned over the last few years is even if they don't abandon you today, they will abandon you sometime in the not-distant future. Like someone else said above, even if they released a Surface Phone today, I wouldn't buy it, it would just be a very expensive dead end. But there isn't going to be a Surface Phone - it's just trade-show hints and leaked concept art, to give the impression of a company with cool new projects under development.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
What I've learned over the last few years is even if they don't abandon you today, they will abandon you sometime in the not-distant future. Like someone else said above, even if they released a Surface Phone today, I wouldn't buy it, it would just be a very expensive dead end. But there isn't going to be a Surface Phone - it's just trade-show hints and leaked concept art, to give the impression of a company with cool new projects under development.

All phones (and electronics) are a dead-end. Every single one is abandoned at some point. In fact, this is true of every product manufactured, whether it's electronics, cars, appliances, etc.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
All phones (and electronics) are a dead-end. Every single one is abandoned at some point. In fact, this is true of every product manufactured, whether it's electronics, cars, appliances, etc.
Then the goal would be no matter what you build, build something that will leave a legacy.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

But that doesn't mean we should accept Microsoft's conduct with no issue. There was a time where manufacturer involvement besides hardware repair for a phone was largely done once they started shipping, save for a patch or two. That isn't acceptable today and arguing that everyone will be abandoned sooner or later won't defend that.

marcos7

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft is simply going to drop windows10 mobile OS because its a 32 bit system, and simply add mobile connectivity to win10- which is 64 bit.? But this can't happen till they complete the redstone3 update which allows for a complete GUI experience across any format screen or device.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft is simply going to drop windows10 mobile OS because its a 32 bit system, and simply add mobile connectivity to win10- which is 64 bit.? But this can't happen till they complete the redstone3 update which allows for a complete GUI experience across any format screen or device.
I like that theory.

jason hogan1

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

I'd be happy if they would just stop breaking stuff that works with each update. I would swear it was a conspiracy to get me to buy the new model except there is no new model, so I guess it's just reckless incompetence.

vacancy job

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
i think MS is working hard to survive in the mobile war.
But the truth is there's no advantage to focus on the W10M only, as it's basically no different.
To be success in the mobile war, Microsoft need something new, They have a lot of works to do.
The mobile OS might not be important, as they need something that is so new that able to change the rule of the mobile market.
let's keep supporting our beloved MS, i think they know what to do.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I'd be happy if they would just stop breaking stuff that works with each update. I would swear it was a conspiracy to get me to buy the new model except there is no new model, so I guess it's just reckless incompetence.

I know, right? It always seems like two steps forward and five steps back!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa