Are you satisfied with Microsoft's "retrenchment" mobile strategy?

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Are you satisfied with Microsoft's "retrenchment" mobile strategy?

I don't believe MS, at this time, is focused on the consumer market and I think that's smart.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

As far as windows mobile is concerned, they arent focused on any market. Its foolish to think they will win enterprise with continuum. Windows on Arm might save them but it will be a PC with cellular capabilities which is ok, but if fans are expecting a phone replacement, its not gonna happen not even with surface phone.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Are you satisfied with Microsoft's "retrenchment" mobile strategy?

As far as windows mobile is concerned, they arent focused on any market. Its foolish to think they will win enterprise with continuum.

I agree. They conned HP into believing the Continuum thing, then let it sit with basically no updates for 2 years. HP is now burned, and probably won't bring the rumored consumer phone to market because of the sketchy support from MS.

Yeah, my phone gets updated regularly. The bugs I have don't change though. They really need to remove the feature that adds a bug/freezes/reboots anytime W10M hears 'let me show you on my windows phone'.

ssgklu

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the 'reentrenchment' or whatever it was and is currently has been strong enough from a Mobile perspective.
Microsoft squandered Nokia, lost Windows Phone 8.1 momentum. Microsoft still hasn't really changed much on the Mobile front, other than making Mobile bland, removing features that set Windows Phone apart.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I am satisfied with the strategy. Realistically, what can Microsoft do? There is no money in the world to pay all companies that work applications, most of the develppers won't work on app for a small market.
Therefore pushing Lumia without success, doesn't make much sense.

Honestly I love windows phone and mobile but I do not see them a place in the future because people are afraid of change of OS, even if OS is ok, inovative, people are closed to changes, specialy OS.
Microsoft lost a lot of money on Lumia, not worth it to them to invest a lot. Lumia are entering a magical circle that never ends and no solutions in sight.

So they do what they can, and do what is smart to do.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I am satisfied with the strategy. Realistically, what can Microsoft do? There is no money in the world to pay all companies that work applications, most of the develppers won't work on app for a small market.
Therefore pushing Lumia without success, doesn't make much sense.

Honestly I love windows phone and mobile but I do not see them a place in the future because people are afraid of change of OS, even if OS is ok, inovative, people are closed to changes, specialy OS.
Microsoft lost a lot of money on Lumia, not worth it to them to invest a lot. Lumia are entering a magical circle that never ends and no solutions in sight.

So they do what they can, and do what is smart to do.

After buying Nokia, they shd still have kept it as a separate division headquartered in EU or Asia, shd have retrenched out of US where Lumia was always struggling. Nokia was gaining marketshare in EU and Asia, it could have let W10M stay relevant and given it a fighting chance.

MS mobile story is like the story of the boiling frog.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Satisfied? No! And not because of hardware. It's because of focus.

Microsoft fosters a 'What's next' attitude for developers, especially in-house. (At least as far as I can tell.) They like to develop something new, and put it out there, waiting for others to pick it up and run with it.
What that means is a host of basic default apps that have little/no support.

On my 950, running the current production OS, the Messaging, and Podcast apps have major bugs/flaws. I don't always receive texts. Group chats blow up with certain contacts using the wrong type of phone, and the Podcast app just has some really weird crashes that require a phone reboot. I've tried Skype Preview on the phone, but had some messages that just weren't visible. I'd receive notification that I got the message, but the message thread was empty.

The MS account situation is terrible. In the People App I have random contacts merging and/or unlinking and that's with an @outlook email address. Outlook.com itself is nice, but features are not consistent across devices/platforms. I can do some things in the web client I can't do with Windows Mail.
I tried 365 a year ago, but that felt like less than Beta, and yet they want to charge me?! Features I signed up for weren't working.

All-in-all I think MS is focusing on Cloud, that is, Azure, and 365. Windows, weather mobile or desktop is simply becoming a tool to push their services. Like the cheap sale item to get you in the store, advertised but not supported.

I'm a .Net developer, and MS is pushing .Net Core. It's the latest and greatest but it's not done yet. They keep pushing stuff out the door half-baked.

TL;DR;
I hate to say it, but MS needs to do a few things well, not everything half-baked. I've used MS phones since Mobile 5. But I'm tired of trying the latest/greatest, yet it still breaks down as much as it does. Don't sell me what you can't deliver. Once I pay off my 950, I may just look at Android.

Oh, and don't get me started on OneDrive!

Last edited:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm perfectly OK with all the 'pain and suffering' as long as there is an end goal. If it's all for nothing, and this isn't a plan but actually a lack of one, then screw that.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Honestly I love windows phone and mobile but I do not see them a place in the future because people are afraid of change of OS, even if OS is ok, innovative, people are closed to changes, especially OS.
Funny, that statement reminded me of what I used to say about Linux on the desktop about fifteen years ago. You are absolutely correct.

Sent from mTalk

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't like it but I understand why it's necessary. There's no point in them continuing to put out new devices that don't sell. Even their budget models aren't doing well. Just look at the Lumia 640. There's was a ton of hype over that phone in the WP community. I know I waited very impatiently for it for close to a year, if not more. Then it was only available on T-Mobile's website and virtually none of their employees even knew what it was. Then it was at a few Walmart stores, but in both cases they were only sold for a handful of weeks. Less than two months I'd assume.

The best we can do is to continue waiting and hope that things turn around with the ARM devices. AND hope that this devices come soon.

nt40lanman

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
I understand Microsoft has a goal in mind, but.... first, I don't like the steady decline on the soul of Windows phone. I got in with 8 at the recommendation of someone that started with 7. He liked the "hubs" like "People" where facebook was far more integrated and ALL messaging could come into one box, color coded for the type of message; Text, FB, e-mail, etc. He is on 10 now and things like Local Scout are gone. Many of the things he loved are gone. I tried 10 and came back to 8.1, not seeing what I wanted (still no printing) and seeing things disappear (can't swipe between multiple pics in an e-mail) just to name a few. As far as business, sure MS can have a master plan but keeping WP alive until then would be a good idea. A good part of the market doesn't want to hear "Sure we left WP users high and dry last time but THIS time will be different!!". The drop in market share and decline and dropping of support of apps is directly related to the non-presence of affordable phones in the marketplace. Who is going to buy a WP when there is maybe one to choose from? Who is going to develop for them when there is no market share?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It sucks we even have to have this conversation but outside of going iOS or Android, we can always go back to flip phones and these:

ddf48fbe472ddc6aba3d544112f397c2.jpg

jason hogan1

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I feel completely.ripped off at this point. I was all in on the whole Microsoft ecosystem. Not anymore. There is no advantage to holding on to my 950xl at this point other than to just be stubborn and tell people I'm not using android or an iDevice. I'm at a stage where I want stuff to work right more than I want bragging rights that I'm using a fringe device with an ever increasing apo gap, a camera that freezes periodically, a gps that sucks worse than my old tomtom from the mid 2000s, a phone that regularly reboots itself when I need it, sms software that just closes at will, a pop up keyboard that frequently doesn't pop up and a whole list of other cool "features" brought by the updates in this ever so active OS.

Forget it, ms screwed us by selling a flagship phone and trashing it. They don't care about it, why should I?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel completely.ripped off at this point. I was all in on the whole Microsoft ecosystem. Not anymore. There is no advantage to holding on to my 950xl at this point other than to just be stubborn and tell people I'm not using android or an iDevice. I'm at a stage where I want stuff to work right more than I want bragging rights that I'm using a fringe device with an ever increasing apo gap, a camera that freezes periodically, a gps that sucks worse than my old tomtom from the mid 2000s, a phone that regularly reboots itself when I need it, sms software that just closes at will, a pop up keyboard that frequently doesn't pop up and a whole list of other cool "features" brought by the updates in this ever so active OS.

Forget it, ms screwed us by selling a flagship phone and trashing it. They don't care about it, why should I?
Sucks you had such a miserable experience with your phone. That's not exactly an accurate representation of Windows Mobile in general though. Not every Pinto exploded.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Not every Pinto exploded.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

No, but every Pinto was a potential death trap. Simple common since engineering would have saved many lives. For knew that even in the design phase.

I am not sure how to compare this to Win 10 mobile other than MS knew the OS was not ready when they launched the OS. I have been involved in enough OS launches to know when a product is ready and not ready. Microsoft knows this as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No, but every Pinto was a potential death trap. Simple common since engineering would have saved many lives. For knew that even in the design phase.

I am not sure how to compare this to Win 10 mobile other than MS knew the OS was not ready when they launched the OS. I have been involved in enough OS launches to know when a product is ready and not ready. Microsoft knows this as well.

The poster basically trashed all 950s because he has issues with his. That's what my Pinto reference was about. Speaking of, Ford did not know at the design stage. It was discovered after the first incidents. That they figured it was cheaper to settle cases than do a recall is something else altogether. BTW, the bumper brackets were redesigned after the '75 model.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6