Windows 10 Mobile Devices and Shutting Down

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me why it takes longer to shut down a Windows 10 Mobile Phone (950 XL, etc) than it does to shut a nuclear reactor down? I've tested multiple devices and even with hard resets, it takes forever for the devices to shut down. Does anyone know the reason behind this?

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Just tried it and it took about 13 seconds on a Lumia 950XL. Benchmark time!
It's possible that W10M tries to close background apps, just like a PC shutdown, but that's a guess.

Maybe we're using different builds. Let me power it up and see what I got on mine.

(41 seconds of powering up later...)
Ok, so I see build 14393. Apparently not very recent. What do you have?

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone tell me why it takes longer to shut down a Windows 10 Mobile Phone (950 XL, etc) than it does to shut a nuclear reactor down?

That made me LOL 😂.

I have a 950 on Build 15063.0 and, on those rare occasions I do a power down, mine takes an eternity to turn off too. Can't answer your query as to why, but rest assured it's not just you.

Sent from mTalk

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Try a BlackBerry. They take forever to start too! They're technically supposed to be doing security checks and whatnot through the boot process.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I always thought it must be a "program X is not responding" while shutting down hence the ridiculously long delay, but no info other than "goodbye"

thats why I just use a soft reset when in a hurry

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I preferred the time to load WFW 3.11 myself. Yes, on my 950xl and Elite X3 the shut down process is painful. I've sent in feedback.

I'm guessing the devices are clearing cache, garbage, and putting everything in a clean state. I noticed these devices are similar to my Android ones with terrible memory leaks and garbage cleanup, which require a reboot frequently.

Sent from mTalk

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
It took my Lumia 640XL on Windows 10 mobile to shut down in 25 second and turn back on in 44 seconds.
On public release.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It is pretty slow in my experience, in fact, it's probably the slowest I own. I usually turn it on and then start something else while it's booting up. For shut down, I do that and walk away or start something so I don't have to watch it.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Funny I should see this thread today. I have a 950XL DS and it has always taken a long time to shut down. Today, I was having a problem with CloudMuzik (I'm on the latest Fast Ring build and CM doesn't work that well on it), so I decided to soft reset. Still no joy with CM, so I decided to just power down and restart. The goodbye screen only showed for a few (less than 5) seconds and that was it. The fastest power-down cycle I can remember for this phone. I wonder if it was so fast because I had just soft reset minutes before?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Funny I should see this thread today. I have a 950XL DS and it has always taken a long time to shut down. Today, I was having a problem with CloudMuzik (I'm on the latest Fast Ring build and CM doesn't work that well on it), so I decided to soft reset. Still no joy with CM, so I decided to just power down and restart. The goodbye screen only showed for a few (less than 5) seconds and that was it. The fastest power-down cycle I can remember for this phone. I wonder if it was so fast because I had just soft reset minutes before?

That's an interesting observation. If that's the case, it stands to reason that Windows 10 Mobile takes a while to shut down because of processes it needs to complete beforehand that must've been completed prior with the soft reset. It's probably shutting down apps, dumping garbage, clearing things out. I mean, there's a reason our phones tend to run better after we shut them down and restart them.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Try a BlackBerry. They take forever to start too! They're technically supposed to be doing security checks and whatnot through the boot process."

Agreed X 1000! Booting up a BlackBerry feels like trying to wake up a 3000-year old man to put him on the track and get him running at 120 KM/H! I know I sound like an impatient drama queen right now, but seriously though: they take painstakingly long to load!

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Usually my phone shuts down in around 30 seconds, but there are occasions where it does hang on 'Goodbye' seemingly endlessly, usually when Bluetooth bugs out and refuses to turn off/on. That system setting switch hangs, and on attempting to shut down the phone, that hangs too.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 1520; 17 seconds shut-down, 33 seconds turn-on.
I have no idea, but I guess it's just some "optimisation and whatnot".

EJ6612

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Zachary Boddy
Originally Posted by Kerry2112

That's an interesting observation. If that's the case, it stands to reason that Windows 10 Mobile takes a while to shut down because of processes it needs to complete beforehand that must've been completed prior with the soft reset. It's probably shutting down apps, dumping garbage, clearing things out. I mean, there's a reason our phones tend to run better after we shut them down and restart them.

I did that on my ML950- 50 second shutdown, 50 second boot first time. Then I logged in, and shut down right after. Shutdown time was cut in half to 25 seconds- but boot time was still 50 seconds.

atlan1504

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I have observed the same. My 950 sometimes takes ages to shutdown, to the point where I hard restart it. I didn't reset the phone for a longer time; I am planning to do that in the next weeks. Maybe that helps.

Philippe DE MOLINER

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me why it takes longer to shut down a Windows 10 Mobile Phone (950 XL, etc) than it does to shut a nuclear reactor down? I've tested multiple devices and even with hard resets, it takes forever for the devices to shut down. Does anyone know the reason behind this?

My HP Elite x3 has the same issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3