950XL not powering 'On'

Dr_Bob007

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
I received my new 950XL (North America version) cell phone last night. Initial start up configuration functioned fine. It updated files and configured (as a displayed option) per my previous HTC Windows 8.1x cell phone. I tried Skype. That worked well. Immediately following my 3 minute Skype call, a popup message occurred with something like "Goodbye" then my 950XL shut itself off. I presumed insufficient battery level or something like that. I plugged the phone into it's stock USB-C charger and went to bed.

In the morning I pressed the center Power button. I felt the phone vibrate. The screen displayed a white outline battery. Not the expected Windows Logo followed by the Windows Mobile Home Screen. A Hmmm moment.

I thought perhaps the white battery outline image might indicate full charge. Sounds reasonable and a good sign to me. My alternative thought would be a red battery outline if the battery power level was low. Consider of course I am totally unfamiliar with the phone as it is. Thinking it might be a status indicator of successful charge process or something like that. Just thinking here...

I tried pressing it's Power button both with and without the charger attached. Both resulted in the white outline battery image only. Compounding my Hmmm moment!

I attempted both of Microsoft's 950XL recommended Power On options.:
• 1-key restart method: Press and hold the power key for about 10 seconds. The phone restarts.
• 2-key restart method: Press and hold the volume down key and power key at the same time for about 10 seconds. The phone restarts.

Both restart methods result in only the white outline battery image displayed. The phone neither boots nor restarts. Head scratching now. Next step in the 'what-to-do' mindset...

I downloaded the user manual to understand what might be occurring (Curiously the North American version handset came with a German user pamphlet/manual... quite odd of course, yet another Hmmm moment):
http://download-support.webapps.microsoft.com/ncss/PUBLIC/en_US/smartwebpdf/GUID-8D2842BA-8EA5-49A6-A66E-36C87437D092/Lumia_with_Windows_10_UG_en_US.pdf .

Nothing helpful found, yet.

Resigning myself to the fact my phone would not 'soft restart', I pulled it's battery and reinserted it trying the Power options yet again. No change; still saw my 'friendly' white outline battery on the screen yet no 'friendlier' Windows logo.

I then decided I might as well try Microsoft's 950XL Hard Reset instructions via https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10666/windows-phone-reset-my-phone (should not be too much of a problem as the phone has had zero other files or documents added by me. Best time to do a hard reset to prove what's happening).

Following are Microsoft's instructions that I followed:
"To reset an unresponsive phone:

If your phone is unresponsive and you can't reach Settings*, you may be able to reset your phone using the hardware buttons. On Lumia phones (and some others), do the following to reset your phone:
- Press and hold the Volume down**and Power**buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).
- When you feel the vibration, release the buttons, and then immediately press and hold the Volume down**button until you see a large exclamation mark.
- Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: 1) Volume up,
2) Volume down,
3) Power,
4) Volume down.

Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)."

In essence, nothing occurred after Step# 2 holding the Volume Down key (for about a minute). No anticipated "Large Exclamation Mark" popped up on my black screen.

So, I will appreciate receiving a technically knowledgeable solution to my new Lumia 950XL enigma.

Thanks very much in advance to those who will point me in the correct direction!

Enjoy your day. Cheers!

Bob

Albert Metelsky

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
It almost sounds like a detective battery or unit. If you have a Microsoft store in your area you can take it there and if need be, get a replacement unit.

Originally posted by Dr_Bob007
I received my new 950XL (North America version) cell phone last night. Initial start up configuration functioned fine. It updated files and configured (as a displayed option) per my previous HTC Windows 8.1x cell phone. I tried Skype. That worked well. Immediately following my 3 minute Skype call, a popup message occurred with something like "Goodbye" then my 950XL shut itself off. I presumed insufficient battery level or something like that. I plugged the phone into it's stock USB-C charger and went to bed.

In the morning I pressed the center Power button. I felt the phone vibrate. The screen displayed a white outline battery. Not the expected Windows Logo followed by the Windows Mobile Home Screen. A Hmmm moment.

I thought perhaps the white battery outline image might indicate full charge. Sounds reasonable and a good sign to me. My alternative thought would be a red battery outline if the battery power level was low. Consider of course I am totally unfamiliar with the phone as it is. Thinking it might be a status indicator of successful charge process or something like that. Just thinking here...

I tried pressing it's Power button both with and without the charger attached. Both resulted in the white outline battery image only. Compounding my Hmmm moment!

I attempted both of Microsoft's 950XL recommended Power On options.:
• 1-key restart method: Press and hold the power key for about 10 seconds. The phone restarts.
• 2-key restart method: Press and hold the volume down key and power key at the same time for about 10 seconds. The phone restarts.

Both restart methods result in only the white outline battery image displayed. The phone neither boots nor restarts. Head scratching now. Next step in the 'what-to-do' mindset...

I downloaded the user manual to understand what might be occurring (Curiously the North American version handset came with a German user pamphlet/manual... quite odd of course, yet another Hmmm moment):
http://download-support.webapps.mic...C87437D092/Lumia_with_Windows_10_UG_en_US.pdf .

Nothing helpful found, yet.

Resigning myself to the fact my phone would not 'soft restart', I pulled it's battery and reinserted it trying the Power options yet again. No change; still saw my 'friendly' white outline battery on the screen yet no 'friendlier' Windows logo.

I then decided I might as well try Microsoft's 950XL Hard Reset instructions via https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10666/windows-phone-reset-my-phone (should not be too much of a problem as the phone has had zero other files or documents added by me. Best time to do a hard reset to prove what's happening).

Following are Microsoft's instructions that I followed:
"To reset an unresponsive phone:

If your phone is unresponsive and you can't reach Settings*, you may be able to reset your phone using the hardware buttons. On Lumia phones (and some others), do the following to reset your phone:
- Press and hold the Volume down**and Power**buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).
- When you feel the vibration, release the buttons, and then immediately press and hold the Volume down**button until you see a large exclamation mark.
- Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: 1) Volume up,
2) Volume down,
3) Power,
4) Volume down.

Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)."

In essence, nothing occurred after Step# 2 holding the Volume Down key (for about a minute). No anticipated "Large Exclamation Mark" popped up on my black screen.

So, I will appreciate receiving a technically knowledgeable solution to my new Lumia 950XL enigma.

Thanks very much in advance to those who will point me in the correct direction!

Enjoy your day. Cheers!

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos