Why not android instead?

FNajada17

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Why wouldn't microsoft use android with a unique windows skin that makes it stand out while not having to worry about the e empty app store? Cortana can work the same way bixby does and continuum can still work

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
It's already such a competitive market with very few making money at it. They would have to commit a lot more resources to doing their skin on Android etc.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
meattray is correct.

Too many choices in the Android market already.
Windows Mobile should stay Windows Mobile.
All or nothing.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I could see this happening if the retrenchment fails. They still run the risk of app developers not supporting live tiles, even on Android.

ssgklu

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Why wouldn't microsoft use android with a unique windows skin that makes it stand out while not having to worry about the e empty app store? Cortana can work the same way bixby does and continuum can still work

They already have a start on creating an Android 'skin', granted it's just a launcher, but I LOVE Arrow Launcher even more than stock Android. I don't think it would take a lot of resources, just refocus groups who are working on Windows 10 Mobile towards Android. Too bad they didn't do it while still running a large part of Nokia.

ssgklu

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Would you buy a 'Surface' phone if it ran Android, but had the look and feel of the Surface Pro 4? And throw in some Windows Hello features for unlocking your PC, like some Samsung phones do. I would!
I don't like Samsung UI/UX, not a fan of LG build quality, or lack of. I would much rather by a Microsoft Android phone over two of the largest Android OEMs.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Another problem is the Android Alliance.

This is how google maintains control over what the manufacturers do, to ensure that google isn't shut out from android. The onerous licensing requirements force manufacturers to do things in order to gain access to androids strongest assets, such as the play store. Just because it's android, doesn't mean it's allowed to get the play store.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
meattray is correct.

Too many choices in the Android market already.
Windows Mobile should stay Windows Mobile.
All or nothing.

This. BlackBerry tried to use an Android runtime to help "patch" the app gap, but it only caused many developers to be less motivated to build quality apps for BlackBerry 10. Worse now, the runtime is stuck at 4.3, so you either have to buy an Android-powered BlackBerry, or accept the fact that many Android apps won't work or will become worse over time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss