A solution to the app gap?

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I had an idea but I don't know how possible or even feasible it might be:

Could Microsoft assign a team (or hire a company) to create apps for. W10M? They could make deals with other app developers/content providers/etc to let them make their apps for Windows with the agreement that they (Microsoft) get a cut of the profits​. With the goal being that these companies when take over development if and when the platform takes off. So basically these would be official unofficial apps.

What do you all think?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Microsoft has tried doing this before and it's never gone very well. The problem with this plan is that developers are expensive to hire and it's not feasible to have dedicated teams for every app that Microsoft thinks is important enough to develop themselves. And just having one group doing it all poses an entirely different problem. Very slow updates and progress, and an app that would take ages to be released and be incomplete on release anyways. Remember the old Facebook app for Windows 8.1?
There's also the problem with developers not wanting to pass responsibility on to Microsoft. There are developers who aren't developing for Windows 10 because they simply do not want to worry about it, or just don't like Windows 10 (Snapchat) and there are also developers who don't trust Microsoft to develop their app proficiently enough to uphold a developers reputation. There's a lot of factors here.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
How about just annoy the crap out of the existing developers (like snapchat) via email, twitter, etc until they finally make an app just to stop the bombardment of messages?

HA HA! It might be mean to some degree but it could work. :)

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
How about just annoy the crap out of the existing developers (like snapchat) via email, twitter, etc until they finally make an app just to stop the bombardment of messages?

HA HA! It might be mean to some degree but it could work. :)

I've been trying this with SiriusXM for well over a year. The vast majority of their customer service reps don't seem to understand the difference between Windows Phone and a PC.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The vast majority of their customer service reps don't seem to understand the difference between Windows Phone and a PC.

To be fair, we are trying to say that they are the same. It would take a technical person to understand the difference, as explained by the fans. "OneCore, One OS, One App, One Name (Windows 10)..."

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, we are trying to say that they are the same. It would take a technical person to understand the difference, as explained by the fans. "OneCore, One OS, One App, One Name (Windows 10)..."

Yeah you're right. For a while I was asking if they were going to release a Windows 10 Mobile app and I figured they might be confusing them so I started referring to it as Windows Phone. I've gotten the same answer almost every time. One rep did say that it was going to be a UWP app but that was months ago and no one else I've spoken to send to know what that is. So who knows?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99