Here we go again....

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft clearly owes people new phones or a direct explanation why their 2+ yr old phone that can't support software/hardware features isn't getting an update that adds features to the software/hardware not supported by the phone.

Do this many people really, i mean REALLY, not get why their device isn't getting updated? The Acer Jade.... seriously? The manufacturer doesn't even support the device anymore, why the hell should MS?! MS has very few devices that support the mobile features they care about going forward, that's what they care about. Not a device abandoned by Acer, I'm sure the Idol won't get RS3 as they have yet to address any issues with new firmware. It's clear that's probably the last W10m device from Alcatel for a while. Get an HP or 950/XL. Enjoy the features.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, the Acer Jade Primo not getting the Anniversary update was an Acer thing, not MS. I believe like how BLU ditched their Windows Phones on the first W10M version.

As you can see, all those older Lumia's like the 830 though, they clearly can't support the revamped Share UI. Can't say I didn't see it coming.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not bitter about my Lumia 930 not officially getting the Creators Update, I knew the time would come when support would be dropped. I'm just frustrated that the upgrade path is either lower end devices, high end devices dogged by reliability issues or the device is so damn expensive that I can't justify getting one. I'll continue using my 930 until the 25th and then I'll be using my Nexus 5X full time, not something I want to do but I'm out of options for W10M.

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
IPhone 5s was launched in 2013
It will still get iOS 11

This means 4 YEARS of SUPPORT!

Talk about "here we go again"...?
Damn right we're going again!! MS kicking their (very few) customers backsides......AGAIN!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand why they have to actually specify and lock it down. My Lenovo Thinkpad x200t installs window 10 fine :)

Phones are like little computers now, why can't we just install it if we want to? Especially since my 930 seems to be really enjoying RS2.

No support, understood, actively blocked from obtaining, having trouble understanding.

Like I think it's not clear yet whether it's still possible to get via insider ring including RS3 as an insider... or is it just won't be included in production build?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand why they have to actually specify and lock it down. My Lenovo Thinkpad x200t installs window 10 fine :)

Phones are like little computers now, why can't we just install it if we want to? Especially since my 930 seems to be really enjoying RS2.

No support, understood, actively blocked from obtaining, having trouble understanding.

Like I think it's not clear yet whether it's still possible to get via insider ring including RS3 as an insider... or is it just won't be included in production build?

this^

they just keep shooting at their foot, it just means people will mask all those old devices as a 950 XL going forward and they will have a hard time filtering out the feedback they want(supported devices)

legalizing things is the way to go, let people do what they want at their own risk, I dont see microsoft banning 10 year old computers from w10, just the contrary, and by doing that they can simply ignore all that feedback from things they no longer care to support

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
It will still get iOS 11

Damn right we're going again!! MS kicking their (very few) customers backsides......AGAIN!

I don't know where to begin with this.....

iOS hasn't introduced a feature, outside of the fingerprint reader, for just about the entire time the OS has existed that can't run on their older phones, outside super old ones. MS has introduced features that literally can't be run on older hardware. The difference between the two OS's is Apple controls the hardware. MS would have to account for testing dozens of devices that, many, were sub par hardware upon release. It's not in their best interest to support a 2yr old phone with 3+yr old internals. Some of yalls arguments are based on bitterness, not logic. Buy a newer phone. And please, for Cripes sake, stop saying Windows phone, mobile, or whatever else, is dead. IT IS... MS said so already. It's now just windows 10, using OneCore. If it can't run Hello or Continuum, it's old.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's all about the support from the OEM.

Microsoft must take a pulse and ask what is still being supported. So those "cuts" are really opt out by the OEM. In the case of Lumia, I mean c'mon who didn't see this?

Alcatel is still supporting the Fierce XL, that is a good sign for the Idol 4S and RS3. It doesn't cost them anything. It's passive, "Sure, support exists for x, y, z." Heck, Mouse Computer supports the Madosma Q601. How many of those can there possibly be? Even NuAns claimed support for the Neo and we all know what happened with NuAns.

It's the OEMs. We chase them away as best we can. Now we are reaping the rewards of that. Yay us!

Have a peek here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...r-phone-world-just-shrank-again-new-post.html

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It will still get iOS 11

It's pretty infamously known that successive updates run worse and worse on iOS hardware until you have to buy into a new device. And not all features carry to the older models. Add in that their spec for $ is probably the poorest in the business. I've never been able to justify buying an iPhone to myself because they are so very costly for what you get. Not only the phone, but every single thing you want to add to the experience simply because it is "made for iPhone."

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's pretty infamously known that successive updates run worse and worse on iOS hardware until you have to buy into a new device. And not all features carry to the older models. Add in that their spec for $ is probably the poorest in the business. I've never been able to justify buying an iPhone to myself because they are so very costly for what you get. Not only the phone, but every single thing you want to add to the experience simply because it is "made for iPhone."

That's why they do so well, they squeeze every penny out of their users.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I'll slightly disagree with you on the Apple Stance. Yes, some of the updates aren't made for the older devices and can actually cause them to run worse but that's as additional features and other things are introduced. I use my wife's old IPhone 5S occasionally just to see what's new and whatnot and it still runs pretty fine for an old device on the latest beta software. It's still what? 4 years old? That's not terrible support regardless.

I will absolutely agree that I've always had a hard time justifying purchasing an Apple device due to cost and what you receive. Plus I've always found the phone just boring. Where's the workarounds?? Ha ha.

I also don't think Windows Mobile 10 is dead. Yes, new devices are few and far between but I'm still seeing fairly frequent updates to things. I think there's definitely a plan in place for the next phase and hopefully we'll all be introduced to that fairly soon.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I also don't think Windows Mobile 10 is dead. Yes, new devices are few and far between but I'm still seeing fairly frequent updates to things. I think there's definitely a plan in place for the next phase and hopefully we'll all be introduced to that fairly soon.

From the consumer perspective it's pretty hard. But if this Gregory Murphy guy, @mistagreg, :wink: is willing to put his name, company, on the line he must have more inside info than just blind faith right? lol

anyhow no matter, windows 10 is pretty sweet in all it's current forms and correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like there's one more major thing, Cshell, whatever means, that truly gives a one windows baseline?

Then we can finally get a next level of interactivity? If I remember well, it's RS3 where mobile stuff will ramp up, though a bit worried about the items from RS2 that were pushed back and how it affects the targets of RS3.

I'm interested in seamlessly moving from one device to another with an uninterrupted workflow. My fav example these days is typing up notes during a meeting on my laptop/tablet, oh I need to focus on what's projected on a wall? Grab my phone, pay attention, maybe insert some key images into my notes I've been writing, audio clip...

Viewing stuff on the web taking a long time? Pick up phone, walk somewhere, stretch out, have a snack standing somewhere else while continuing to read where I had left off from my computer.

Like we can sorta do a bit of that now, but that one video where a guy put the phone on his screen to essentially transfer the app from desktop to mobile has me dreaming still :)

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
From the consumer perspective it's pretty hard. But if this Gregory Murphy guy, @mistagreg, :wink: is willing to put his name, company, on the line he must have more inside info than just blind faith right? lol

anyhow no matter, windows 10 is pretty sweet in all it's current forms and correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like there's one more major thing, Cshell, whatever means, that truly gives a one windows baseline?

Then we can finally get a next level of interactivity? If I remember well, it's RS3 where mobile stuff will ramp up, though a bit worried about the items from RS2 that were pushed back and how it affects the targets of RS3.

I'm interested in seamlessly moving from one device to another with an uninterrupted workflow. My fav example these days is typing up notes during a meeting on my laptop/tablet, oh I need to focus on what's projected on a wall? Grab my phone, pay attention, maybe insert some key images into my notes I've been writing, audio clip...

Viewing stuff on the web taking a long time? Pick up phone, walk somewhere, stretch out, have a snack standing somewhere else while continuing to read where I had left off from my computer.

Like we can sorta do a bit of that now, but that one video where a guy put the phone on his screen to essentially transfer the app from desktop to mobile has me dreaming still :)

Yeah I absolutely agree with all of that. Would be fantastic to have that ability to seamlessly transition from device to device without missing a beat.

I also agree with the fact that he's supposedly going to be working with Microsoft doing some PR work for him. You'd have to think they would give him a bit of reassurance towards the future of mobile.

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

You clearly DO NOT know what you're talking about.
5s runs very well with 10.3.1

Try it sometime and get your head out of the sand
Perfect? No.....Apple is not perfect num still way better than MS as we easily saw today

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
There's devices that get updates to newer versions of software even if they can't support all the bells and whistles. The underlying core features still work just fine on older devices. Think of it like this, Android and iOS latest iterations support finger print readers, yet not ALL devices on Android have the required hardware to utilize the features. However at the core, they're still able to run the OS with stability. Latest versions of iOS runs well on iPhone 5s which was launched back in 2013, despite it not being able to take advantage of newer hardware specific features of the OS.

So all in all, MS cutting off devices like 1520/930/Icon which runs circles around the likes of L640/XL, and 80% of the supported devices, holds no water technically.

On the apps front, users will be left behind also. There are apps in the Store that won't run on anything older than Anniversary Update. Thus cutting users off with devices that didn't get that update. The same will apply now going forward. MS is alienating the very core base that helped keep their efforts alive this long. Again they're shooting themselves in the foot out the gate.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Try it sometime and get your head out of the sand
Perfect? No.....Apple is not perfect num still way better than MS as we easily saw today

He's not wrong, it's just that it was a legitimate problem up until the iPhone 5. There was a lot of issues back then where iOS 4 wrecked performance on the 3GS (it was improved though since), iOS 7 doing the same to the iPhone 4 (7.1 kind of patched it up?), and iOS 8 and 9 doing the same to the 4S. It was a sort of reputation that has stuck to the iPhone over time, like how people like to throw around that Android lags like Crysis on a Pentium 4 and that Windows Phone has literally no apps. (although they wouldn't be wrong now either)

But of course, the iPhone 5 and up are performing quite well on iOS 10 and that's certainly something, especially since Microsoft didn't want to put in the effort making W10M work better with the 920 and the Galaxy S III is stuck on 4.3 Jelly Bean, or 4.4 Kit Kat in the case of one variant.
(not counting custom ROMs, which have the S II on Nougat and stuff to varying degrees of functionality)

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Honestly the android device manufacturers are probably some of the worst for providing updates to their phones. There's really no guarantees with any though. I like to figure if I can get through two years with updates then I'm fairly happy. I'll have likely switched devices by then. Is that ideal for everyone? Not really. I'm sure a lot of people would love to stay on the same device for 5 years or more but that's unfortunately not really possible with the way technology is changing.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm basing it on a lot of comments I read from iOS users and my one highly regretted foray into AppleLand.

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I do know that after a version upgrade I had to whip my iPhone and yell mush at it because it was such a dog.

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by RumoredNow
Originally Posted by BrunoMG

I'm basing it on a lot of comments I read from iOS users and my one highly regretted foray into AppleLand.

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I do know that after a version upgrade I had to whip my iPhone and yell mush at it because it was such a dog.

Same thing for my Windows Phone!!!
Every update means a new hard reset or even a WDRT for things to get working! How is that different from iOS?

Come on ...... now you guys are just being fanatic!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't know...I gave my 920 to my girlfriend when I got my 950XL. The 920 is still working great for what she needs, yes it is running 8.1 - but it runs it very dependable. The 920 phone is what, 5-years old? I got sick of it after 2-years, but with 5-years of service I definitely got my monies worth, and it is STILL running great on the software for which it was designed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte