Here we go again....

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Honestly the android device manufacturers are probably some of the worst for providing updates to their phones. There's really no guarantees with any though. I like to figure if I can get through two years with updates then I'm fairly happy. I'll have likely switched devices by then. Is that ideal for everyone? Not really. I'm sure a lot of people would love to stay on the same device for 5 years or more but that's unfortunately not really possible with the way technology is changing.

Depends on what your needs are. My L925 with 8.1 is going on four years old and I regularly use it along with my Idol4s. I'm not a big app user, though, so I don't require the latest and greatest.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Same thing for my Windows Phone!!!
Every update means a new hard reset or even a WDRT for things to get working! How is that different from iOS?

Come on ...... now you guys are just being fanatic!

I'm on slow ring. Was with my 950 and now my Idol4s.
I've never had to do any type of reset after an update. Would have never put up with that.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Depends on what your needs are. My L925 with 8.1 is going on four years old and I regularly use it along with my Idol4s. I'm not a big app user, though, so I don't require the latest and greatest.

That's absolutely the truth. Everyone uses their devices differently which means we'll all have different needs and update patterns.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Maybe I'm totally worng about this, but wouldn't be nice if MS released a Mobile OS like the PC OS?, I mean, imagine you have one compatible device from any brand and with any compatible OS intalled (Android or Win10m), so you want to install the new version of the W10m-OS-forEverybody to name it somehow, and you buy it, download the software and install it using the necessary tools.

I think maybe it will take a lot of work to being able to create the Drivers database for all the devices around, but for sure will be easier than convincing the majority of people already with Android to switch to Win10m, imagine you buy the phone you want and you install the OS, you try it and if you like it you keep it, if not you recover your old OS.

Right now I saw a lot of laptops sold with Chrome OS and there installed Win10 desktop and everything works perfectly, with some hard work to find some compatible drivers, but in the end it's a job done by users not developers, imagine if developers were able to do that.

Maybe I'm crazy and the main problem is how to monetize it or maybe it's simply too silly from me, but for sure some will like this feature.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm on slow ring. Was with my 950 and now my Idol4s.
I've never had to do any type of reset after an update. Would have never put up with that.

I did my first hard reset last week, and man-o-man, what a difference:)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't hard reset my 950xl since th1... Though I'll probably do one after creators, or maybe just before it, haven't decided. Gmessenger is so slow might be related, cause my 930 on insider fast was fine

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I did my first hard reset last week, and man-o-man, what a difference:)

I haven't seen a need to do that but I'm sure it cleans up all phones on all platforms. I just don't have the patience to go through all that if my device is running well (fingers crossed).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same thing for my Windows Phone!!!
Every update means a new hard reset or even a WDRT for things to get working! How is that different from iOS?

Come on ...... now you guys are just being fanatic!

I've ever only found that reset necessary when upgrading an 8.0 device to 8.1 or an 8.1 device to W10M and that just for the upgrade, updates work fine. All of my made for W10M have done just fine after updates.

Layering 8.0 updates on top of 8.0 is fine.
Layering 8.1 updates on top of 8.1 is fine.
Layering W10M updates on top of W10M is fine.
These are all version changes 8.0 > 8.1 > W10M and users would be advised to reset after upgrade.

Upgrading versions requires a fresh start for best performance. This I know. It is the same for any device or OS. Who says I didn't do a reset on my iPhone after a version upgrade? I did. I always do so for my devices when upgrading versions: phones, tablets, PC... The iPhone just could not be considered smooth after. This happens with previous gen hardware. To pretend it doesn't is to ignore realities. Would I choose to run a Lumia 520 on W10M? Not with an expectation that it would be optimal. L520 is a made for 8.0 device, it went to 8.1 just fine.

I had tried iOS on an iPhone 3GS that was built for iOS 3. When I got it it was on iOS 4 and had been reset. 5 was out and I soon upgraded to that and reset it. Hardware performance was just OK. 6 came out shortly after and I upgraded to that and reset it. It became sluggish. But at least I got to test some of the feature set through three progressions to decide if iOS might interest me. It didn't and the poor performance of the hardware on iOS 6 was pretty evident to me. I tested 3 OS versions in fairly short order so the comparison was not through a long lens of remembering back. I got to test the three versions over a course of less than 2 months.

Maybe this was atypical, but it was still my experience. Just because Apple will push it does not mean it is optimal on older gen hardware.

Realism is not fanaticism.

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
How long haven't you touched an IPhone or an Android phone?
Say iOS 10 or Android 6.....
Your latest experience is iOS 6? Really?

Dude we're in 2017.......and your example is iOS 6?
When iOS 6 showed up there was still windows phone 7........that's almost mobile phones stone age!

Needless to say that appart from all WP problems (can anybody tell me why 2 MS 640's can have such different bugs and behaviours?)......then there is the app gap......
But we've been that that road before.....and that road ended in a cliff.

The bottom line is MS f*cked up.
It's totally BS not providing the CU to 535 or 532 or 735.
It's inadmissible. It's a cheap shot by MS

They could never keep up with Google and Apple....and trust me, acting like they have and like they still do......they will never catch up.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I tried Android again in December of 2016. Couldn't hang for long.

Mind you I was deep into 'Droid-land at one time and flashed the snot out of my phone and provided all the customization needed to make it comfy.

When I tried iOS I was also using webOS and Android at the same time... I'd also picked up my first Windows phone just about then. And making forays into Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS and Sailfish. I was looking for the thing to carry me forward from a bad webOS addiction that unfortunately had to end. I'd also used Android prior to webOS.

Please don't try and believe I'm inexperienced across Mobile Operating Systems. That is far from the case. If my rejection of iPhone upsets you personally, I guess that can't be helped from my side. I find it stultifying. And I read a lot about it along with other Mobile OS versions as they release. I do keep up on tech news. I've never seen any major feature to entice me back to trying iPhone and the only hardware I've ever seen them produce which seems remotely worth the cost to me is the iPhone SE. If that had OIS I probably would have bit. And probably would have been bored with it again.

I've said before a couple different ways... It's about the OEM support. Microsoft cleared off all the Nokia built WP and the last couple of Nokia designs in the pipeline. There is no support for them so they won't go to Creators and beyond. I accept this and understand it clearly. I'm not railing about it and Windows on Mobile is my tech of choice.

If you don't know me and my history, Dude, don't just assume I'm a bumpkin. I don't like iOS software or hardware, oh well. Different strokes for different folks. They do just fine without my money and my abstinence doesn't hurt them.

Meantime I try what I get interested in and stick with what works best for how I use a device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb