One heck of a week for W10 Mobile. What's everyone feeling?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I feel sad about Windows Phones. Last year i gave Android another chance. What a waste of money and time. Now when i'm about to get Windows Phone i hear that it will be killed off. OMG why... :crying: I wish to see Surface Phone this year as it's MS last chance to shine on Mobile market.
Unfortunately, in times of Android domination it's very hard to get good phone, unless you buy flagships.

Nothing is going to save the mobile market for MS, except what they are doing - replacing win 10 mobile, with full win 10 on arm. Scrapping the windows 10 mobile OS, and stripping it for parts.

Win 10 mobile is a "me too" product trying to do all the same things as ios and android. Windows 10 by contrast is a standout hybrid OS people in the marketplace love (biggest growth in tablets, uptake with early tech adopters, fastest windows OS uptake), that for at least some people (business, gaming, creative), on mobile will make android and ios look like toys. It already does on tablets.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Seems like a lot of news got dumped this week on the W10 Mobile front. Most of it ambiguous, some of it a let down.

How is everyone feeling about this? We've got the Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition, an announcment that most Windows Phones have been axed from future updates (normally this is routine news but with it's 2-year update cycle that is a lot of now axed models), and even Windows Central seems to be a bit on edge with the UWP article (which was extremely well written IMO).

Do you think this is a sign of things to come? Is MS just wiping the slate clean before they take their next mobile step? What the heck has this week made you feel in regards to W10 Mobile and how MS is handling it?

How I feel about W10M? Frustrated. Deeply regretting buying Lumia 950XL last summer... :/

tharrin20

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Got a Microsoft Lumia 950XL Dual Sim phone last year and basically some of the features are exceptional, but the MS Office suite (Excel, Word, etc.) that came with it is an absolute joke !!! Excel works for about 6 months then wants you to subscribe to MS Office 365 at a cost of £60+ a year but worse than that it locks your files in Read Only mode, although you can still work on them on a computer !!!!! This is a complete rip-off by MS who sold me this phone saying that everything works the same on the mobile as on your main computer, and when I asked if there were additional costs no mention was made of paying extra on top of a very expensive product !! Also I don't want to work with the Cloud only with the SD card, as internet connections where I work are non existent, and some of my work is confidential.
I am continuing to use my old HTC HD2 phone which still works 100% better with MS Office than the MS Lumia Win10 phone.
There are so many issues with this phone including the calendar / diary that you can't set accurately to give you an alarm prior to an appointment, and loads of other issues that makes me suspect that this software was designed by people who never had to use it seriously.
MS have missed an opportunity to run rings round the opposition all they have done is upset their loyal customers, I for one am thinking of ditching this product very shortly.......

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you; i'm in it for the long haul...i use Windows 10 on all my other devices; love how they all compliment each other and work together seamlessly now! (i really like how when i get a text while i'm on my computer, the notification just pops up to the right, and i can answer without touching my phone!)

Me too.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Nothing is going to save the mobile market for MS, except what they are doing - replacing win 10 mobile, with full win 10 on arm. Scrapping the windows 10 mobile OS, and stripping it for parts.

The way I see it being able to run full WIndows 10 on an ARM chipset makes sense only with Continuum. When you have your smartphone (correction: device) connected to a monitor and a keyboard and a mouse yes it makes a huge advantage to be able to run Win32 app on that device. But running Win32 apps on a 5 or 6 inches display?... I don't think anybody will want to do that. And lets not forget the fact that Continuum dock didn't sell well. I, for one, I'm not attracted by the idea of buying myself a monitor just to be able to use my new device at its full power. I already have a laptop. So without UWP applications, this device that requires a dock and a monitor to unleash its full power I don't think will appeal many of the laptop/desktop owners.
Would a person who doesn't own a computer buy a device that can make phone calls and also act as a computer if you buy additionally a dock, a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse? I wouldn't bet on that. Maybe that person would simply buy a powerful laptop and some medium-range Android.

Phil Green1

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I have used windows phone from early days. I loved my Lumia 520 – its compact size was just so simplistically elegant, and it even had double tap to wake. Yes it did – really.

I now own a Lumia 550 with W10M – had it for 2 years approx. I admit it has not been a smooth ride, but for some weird reason I just can’t let go. I did try – honestly. An Android 6 phone came my way recently so I thought I would see if I could live away from W10M. Short answer is no I can’t. The exercise was interesting because it told me why I like the MS OS so much.

It does not have the bling factor of Android, which suits my temperament more – I am not one for shiny things. I did find the Android very slick and visually a beautiful thing but my needs are straightforward and the W10M suits me I guess. I found menu navigation more intuitive on the MS system. I love the live tiles, and found Android widgets are not a comparable substitute. If I was to change anything about the live tiles it would be to give them very tiny rounded-off corners to soften them.

I do admit that I use the Microsoft-sphere for my daily needs - I have an MS account and it all ties in wonderfully. The apps I want are available, so no problem there. I use the W10 desktop and W10M as they are supposed to be used, and they are seamless together. I like very much.

In short, for me, the W10M has a more “grown-up” system and I have this feeling it will get some traction in the future because as the new generations come along they don’t like to follow the “old” crowd and they will drift to something different. Remember you heard it here first. I actually see the odd manufacturer having a poke around with it, so something is afoot – and trust me if Android or Apple lose traction to MS, manufacturers will pick up MS in a heart beat.

So that's what I reckon for what it is worth.

Regards.

sarcaron

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I feel great about Windows Phones. The feature that I hear Android and Iphone users gripe about is no problem in WP.
STORAGE STORAGE STORAGE!
Also, removable replaceable battery. Why doesn't Microsoft play up these points? I will be a Windows Phone user as long as WP's can still make a call!

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Can't wait for the Build conference. They just got to announce something....

They might but without app/developer support, not sure what they can do to save Windows Phone. I really thought some kind of Android emulator to run Android apps was the key but they dropped that a year or so ago.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The way I see it being able to run full WIndows 10 on an ARM chipset makes sense only with Continuum. When you have your smartphone (correction: device) connected to a monitor and a keyboard and a mouse yes it makes a huge advantage to be able to run Win32 app on that device. But running Win32 apps on a 5 or 6 inches display?... I don't think anybody will want to do that. And lets not forget the fact that Continuum dock didn't sell well. I, for one, I'm not attracted by the idea of buying myself a monitor just to be able to use my new device at its full power. I already have a laptop. So without UWP applications, this device that requires a dock and a monitor to unleash its full power I don't think will appeal many of the laptop/desktop owners.
Would a person who doesn't own a computer buy a device that can make phone calls and also act as a computer if you buy additionally a dock, a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse? I wouldn't bet on that. Maybe that person would simply buy a powerful laptop and some medium-range Android.

Fair comment, and for many win32 apps this is an issue. I use my windows 10 tablet all the time, and not everything works. This will be moreso on a small screen.

These are all totally fair points!

But not all win32 apps.

Some win32 apps are scalable, and touch optimised. Two immediate examples for tablets are fruity loops, and trine 2. Both win32, both work great touch only on a tablet (and scale). Trine 2, I'm pretty sure would run on a phone fine too, and beat the heck out of any android games. Fruity loops might need a tweak to run that small though.

Being able to run them on a phone, incentivises developers more to create full scalability (especially when added to the fast growing windows tablet market). Already tablets which are only a small market (but growing) have incentivised at least a few devs to make win32 apps for tablets.

Some win32 apps are simple enough that they run okay on small screens anyway. For example the scaling legacy terminal programs that many businesses still run, may well run fine on a small screen. Basic office apps etc. In some cases this will add real value.

Then there's full browsers, which beat scaled down ones by quite a margin.

And then there's chrome extensions. Which is pretty much an add-on app store, which stuff like WhatsApp, tinder and loads more. You can run these like an app, fully detached from the browser, with a desktop link.

There are things MS could do to help win32 compatibility. IDK if they will. Virtual xbox gamepad would be literally huge for windows 10 on phones and tablets (bringing all those amazing legacy games to the platform - making the phone the number 1 phone gaming device).

Different scaling methods would help a lot too (bb10 uses this for android apps, different styles of zoom, and you pick one that displays best).

Stats don't show that mobiles have displaced PCs really. More that people have both.

Some people also have tablets. Myself I have a tablet, a phone and a desktop. I'd be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't have at least two devices, let alone 3+, especially families who seem to have dozens. And then there's laptops! (In my house, of two people, there are two desktops, two tablets, two phones and a laptop for example)

I'd really appreciate spending less money on devices, and having less cloud use and syncing. For me, I'd at least rather have two not three.

Hybrid hardware solutions haven't been very good so far, so it sort of depends on implementation. For example, if I could get a tablet, with thunderbolt, and dock that to an external HDD and GPU, for gaming - I'd probably ditch my desktop. I'd kind of love to, I'm one for form, function and simplicity.

Or equally, something like that in a phone. I'd probably still have two, so I can second screen.

People don't really want to be spending loads of money on multiple devices, all of which they have to constantly upgrade, there's a great deal of overlap and redundancy ATM. Its messy.

There are other benefits to windows 10 on arm too, not just win32. For example, multi-tasking on windows 10 mobile is primitive. even next to other mobile OSs.

And yes, for those people attracted to continuum (enterprise, travellers etc), full win32 will make it a lot more attractive.

Perhaps like UWP, its more planting a seed, than a fully finished product (to make it work really well, you'll also need developers to get on board with making more scalable touch friendly versions of big name apps) BUT there is without doubt things you can do on such a platform, that no other phone can do.

Windows is sort of becoming cool again, so the right kind of release and demo hardware, the right implementation in software, and I can see windows on phone making a buzz again.

The good news is there, big name windows app developers (like adobe) have real development cash. They can afford to spend the time on such things
(like scaling) for their cash willing consumers. Unlike mobile apps, who's margins are much tighter and rely on freemium and advertising models more. They can't be bothered with smaller markets. Big contrast in profit models, and consumer care. For someone like adobe, it could be quite attractive to offer their customers the power to sketch on their phones while away from the desk.

ATM, windows 10 mobile offers nothing truly unique. At mimimum, windows 10 on arm brings a little wow by being able to do impressive things other phones can't. How well that implements, and grows, how consumers respond IDK.

But it is MS vision to have an OS that runs on any hardware platform anyway. Small screen, big screen, small device, big device, no screen. Even if that's a long term vision, its a future proof one. Because nothing is more certain than tech markets change.

Last edited:

CARL BUSSE

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a lot of news got dumped this week on the W10 Mobile front. Most of it ambiguous, some of it a let down.

How is everyone feeling about this? We've got the Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition, an announcment that most Windows Phones have been axed from future updates (normally this is routine news but with it's 2-year update cycle that is a lot of now axed models), and even Windows Central seems to be a bit on edge with the UWP article (which was extremely well written IMO).

Do you think this is a sign of things to come? Is MS just wiping the slate clean before they take their next mobile step? What the heck has this week made you feel in regards to W10 Mobile and how MS is handling it?

Colin B3

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
I have had a Lumia 930 for 3 years and I WANTED to remain a WP user. But now I see a general apparent lack on interest from MS in really improving the WP platform, I think it is time to bite the bullet and go for an Android phone. I am disappointed to see that the 930 is not included in the latest update, but apart from that I see very little indication that MS are really serious about the mobile platform and I could have another disappointing 3 years were I to buy a newer handset.

CARL BUSSE

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
The let down part is what is a problem for my Icon and me, looks like MS is sending us off into the sunset...
No new consumer based windows phones and nothing on the verizon network which is the "only" service in my area of the country (USA). MS is writing customers like us off, by the indications I am seeing...

Victor Harshman

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok Windows 10 mobile isn't perfect it's been buggy on my icon since it first came out but with the builds in the last few months it's getting pretty dam good.
Yes the app gap is a huge problem but I blame that on Microsoft because they don't know how to market something that is not a huge hit like there Surface line. If they would have marketed Windows phone back during Win 8 they might have had a bigger market share and had more apps now.
Now for the platform It's awesome. I was showing my coworker last week UWP apps on my Asus T100 tablet and my Icon and he was blown away by the similarity between the phone and tablet of the UI. He is a huge Android fan but uses Windows 10.
This is exactly what Microsoft should be marketing "Seamless Design".
I challenge anybody to grab their phone and get on their desktop or laptop and go open a bunch of UWP apps and use the task view and you will see a seamless experience you can't get on any other platform.
I'm a huge fan and am still hanging in there but I have to admit it's getting harder and harder to stick up for 10 Mobile.

BillyColt

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Fall... Rethink competition. Two year phone life for ultra expensive smart phones? Enable user swappable battery... Then I may think about an expensive phone with low maintenance cost. No hassle down time. Step out of Best Buy with new battery... Rip open new battery, install, and replace removable back cover on phone. Life is so so much easier. Wow. A new battery!
Winter... Offer competition to Samsung low cost smart phones with user replaceable batteries and use developers to make user interface brilliant through Apps.
Spring...Android now has competition.. IPhone remains a snobbish caterer to very high end users with high maintainable costs only they can afford. Not to mention the awful waste of perfectly good phones.
Spring... Do it.

Lloyd Kuhnle

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site

Microsoft dropped the ball. That's the same ball that they picked up 3 years too late.

My Samsung Galaxy S8 is on pre-order as we speak. It's good bye to Windows phone for me. May my unsupported Lumia 1520 RIP.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
But, update after update, even simple things like the camera went from great quality and speed to so-so and sometimes crashed (huh? Just how much re-coding is going on behind the scenes of a simple camera app to make it crash??).

Heck, you think that's bad? They can't even keep from screwing up the flashlight from one release to the next! It still only works sporadically.

Turning on an LED was the kind of thing we did with a breadboard, a couple of transistors and some jumper wires back in college.

hedrek

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I went all in on Windows back with my Trophy and RT. I got tired of being caught in the Windows vs. Google fights on my devices, especially since we have Exchange and Word at work. I bought an 8" Android tablet the other day. Love it, the fake Windows tile interface is great, and the apps are there. My desktop would not start last night. If I need to replace it it will be with a Chromebook, and my next phone probably and Android once my Lumia 928 bites the dust. The only way MS fixes this is to take whatever they spent on Nokia ($8 billion) and use that to pay developers of the best apps to 1. stay on Windows (those folks deserve some love) and 2. get on Windows. Oh yeah, I paid $500 for my RT and $100 for my Asus Zentab 8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers