05-03-2017 05:09 AM
323 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Verizon users have already progressed through the 5 Stages of Grief. Y'All are behind and need to catch up.....
    libra89 likes this.
    04-12-2017 12:43 PM
    I've been a Windows Phone user for the last 5 or so years but am officially giving up on it today. Not enough apps available for it to really meet my needs. Plus the lack of new devices from Microsoft has turned me off. Yesterday Windows 10 Mobile has somehow filled up the 8 GB of storage on my 640XL. It says that I have updates available but no matter what I remove from my phone, nothing seems to clear the storage. So I'm going today to buy a Motorola Moto G Plus 5. Maybe I'll come back to Windows Phone if they start bringing out devices more often than every two years.
    bing722 likes this.
    04-12-2017 12:45 PM
    Tried really hard to use a Galaxy S7 Edge after all the noise of MS dropping WP10. As another user said, the Android UI seems really backwards when compared to the Microsoft one.
    So many issues with Android:
    No live SMS text to speech - its a huge deal for those who drive a lot. Neither iPhone nor Android or Google Assistant support it as elegantly as WP.
    No real-time live tiles. in my 950XL, I can just look and know the weather, for example
    All kinds of usability elements that Android does not seem to get. (apple does, but dumb UI).
    Great integration across onedrive and my laptop - take a photo, it pops up moments later in onedrive.
    Gotta tell you, MS marketing needs a lot of help. They blew the phone because they never pitched it right. I hope MS does not give up on the phone, and gets in some smart marketing people.
    If only the marketers at MS get their act together
    04-12-2017 12:52 PM
    Im on board until MS forces me to change...
    mattiasnyc, editguy and Kevin Rush like this.
    04-12-2017 12:56 PM
    Well as long as it is working and still have some apps that works than it´s ok. My Nokia N8 Symbian still works so I´m optimistic about all of this!
    1020 Work ok without any update so I am feeling good! ;)
    editguy and aximtreo like this.
    04-12-2017 12:58 PM
    I've been fully invested in Microsoft’s ecosystem at home and professionally for a long time. All the negative articles last week pushed me to take off my rose-coloured glasses and seriously consider what I would buy if I couldn't get a decent mobile device running Windows. That lead to some window shopping which lead to me bringing home a new Android device. I like it. I plan to keep it. Now I’m wondering what part of Microsoft’s ecosystem I might replace next. If I’m done being loyal to Microsoft, it will definitely affect more than just the products they choose to give up on.
    04-12-2017 01:10 PM
    Well like someone has stated in this forum before, being a WinPhan does not make sense.
    We've been through its ups and downs before and I guess will just roll with this one.

Though admittedly this could be the hardest time being a WinPhan ever what with apps dropping support left and right.

It seems to be these app developers are just following Facebook's lead as a lot of these bad news came after Facebook's announcement of dropping Messenger support for 8.1

Take note though that most of these apps being dropped are WP8.1 apps.
    Could be signal that it's time to move on from WP8.1 and move to W10M
    Well, Most phones like 1520, 930, 830 aren't even gonna get the Creator's Update even though the phone is capable of the update. Sucks to be a Windows Mobile user. I will switch to Android come December. What Nadella's doing to the mobile scene is whack it's like they even have no idea what they're doing.
    04-12-2017 01:12 PM
    I left. I bought a ZTE Axon 7. I'm getting used to it, but me missing Skype calls from my daughter.... Not happening. If I don't like this phone, I've been using it only for 2 weeks, I'm going to try the Asus AR coming out later this year. It's been quite a long time using Windows Mobile/Phone. I've probably had about 8-10 models or so total ranging from the Cingular 8125 -> 950XL.
    04-12-2017 01:14 PM
    Currently, I am disappointed. My first smartphone was Windows Phone 8. I've used it, I enjoy it and I believe in the Live Tiles. Since that time, I have seen great things, but I believe they lost a lot of momentum they had when Nokia was flooding the market with hardware. The Great Purchase immediately lost that momentum and it has been a downhill slide since. Every year, I fall victim to the new promise of what many have come to know Microsoft for...Coming Soon.

Whatever happened to the retrenching and only building three devices per year? Upper, mid, and lower tier devices. Whatever happened to putting Microsoft first, Mobile first? Whatever happened to Microsoft building high-end devices to showcase Win 10 on Mobile that the people will "love" to use? Whatever happened to concentrating on Win 10 desktop for the Anniversary Update, but then "next year" concentrating on mobile? So many times I have listened with hope and found myself saying "wow, this is it", or "It is going to be BIG". Only it isn't.

I am a middle-aged man that wants to use these apps and options now. I don't have time to wait 10 years for Microsoft to retrench over and over and have the Devs start over again. I am also on Verizon, and can ONLY get Verizon in my area. While newer and more choices are out there, I cannot use them. So for this, I am even more hurt by the turn of events.

To Microsoft, this is Marketing 101. Get the people to believe in what is coming and string them along for years while keeping customers 'satisfied' just enough. Us "fans" are the reason nothing is moving forward. We wait, we hope, we yearn for what 'might' be. The silence from Microsoft is painful. No more promises. No more "Coming Soon".
    cheetahwig1 and anon(9603734) like this.
    04-12-2017 01:27 PM
    Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition on Android, now that's just funny! Android...LOL ROTFL LMAO.
    Now that's showing support for your own platform.

Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition on W10M, non existent....Why?
    Make it so...Microsoft!
    04-12-2017 01:28 PM
    Nothing wrong with Axon 7 have it as my second phone to Lumia 950 :)
    04-12-2017 01:28 PM
    I've been fully invested in Microsoft’s ecosystem at home and professionally for a long time. All the negative articles last week pushed me to take off my rose-coloured glasses and seriously consider what I would buy if I couldn't get a decent mobile device running Windows. That lead to some window shopping which lead to me bringing home a new Android device.
    @Zac Bowden/windowscentral, #helpingsellAndroids

?
    04-12-2017 01:49 PM
    what the heck has this week made you feel in regards to w10 mobile and how ms is handling it?
    sad.
    04-12-2017 01:55 PM
    Proud owner of 3 Lumia phones. I'm past due for a new phone now. I keep toying with the idea of a 950 XL or an Idol 4S, but it's a tough decision with no concrete future plan for W10 Mobile. Over the past week, my Edge browser started continually reloading pages after about 15 seconds. My Accuweather app would try to open for 10 seconds, then it crashed. I uninstalled Accuweather and tried to reinstall it, but the Store keeps saying that it's already installed on my device. My Instagram app tries to open for 10 seconds and crashes - it opens on the 2nd attempt after 10 seconds. Instagram doesn't let me delete direct messages. I got Minecraft for free and decided to try it out, but it always crashes after a minute. When I take pictures, sometimes the camera app flashes and the shutter sound plays, but no picture gets saved. I tried to move a few pictures around in my OneDrive app, and it crashed three times in a row. My MSN sports app doesn't show game scores while they're in progress - just the upcoming game and the final score. Waze is extremely outdated, and the directions and hazard warnings never play. Microsoft Maps is hit or miss with street names and audible directions. My Twitter app sometimes reloads and goes back to the top while I'm trying to scroll through my feed. I had a bunch of app updates yesterday, and it took several attempts just to get them to download. The progress bars would spin and spin, and nothing would happen (and they downloaded and installed very slowly). This is all on the regular production updates since I'm not an Insider. Two apps that I use a lot, Runtastic and Spotify, have stopped updating their apps. eBay and PayPal are gone. Amazon is now a web-wrapper. There's just too many compromises.

I used an LG phone for about a year, and I'm starting to miss what I had. I see people saying "Who needs apps? There's always 3rd-party apps and Edge." Yes and no. Amazon sent me notifications when my packages shipped and arrived, eBay made listing easy and sent notifications when my items sold, PayPal notified me when I received payments, I refilled prescriptions through the CVS app, Drudge sent me important news updates, Google Maps worked flawlessly, Waze was fun to use and actually read directions and looked polished, I deposited checks via my bank app, I pre-ordered my Chick-Fil-A food and got loyalty rewards, I responded to people quickly on my OkCupid app, Feedly nicely remembered and organized my chosen blogs and website feeds, I could quickly scroll through my YouTube feed and multitask while videos are playing, I chose my browser from 5 great options, and social media apps (even Xbox) loaded in a couple seconds rather than 10+ seconds. I earned a free pastry at Panera. I downloaded the app while I was out to scan the code and claim it. I paid at Dunkin Donuts with money preloaded in my rewards app by scanning my phone. I got on a flight by scanning a code on the airline app.

One thing that really upset me was losing the free 30 GB I had built up in OneDrive for using the Camera Roll back up on my Lumia. MS stripped my storage down to 5 GB so I had to find other options. I went to Google where I get unlimited picture storage and 15 GB of storage for other documents for free. On my Lumia 640, I can't even back up photos to Google using Edge. I feel like a sucker for being so loyal to a company that offers such a subpar product. You could argue that all of this stuff isn't "necessary," but it sure makes life easier.

MS won't even talk about the future of their phone business anymore. I can't see why I should invest hundreds of dollars in something that is severely lacking and shows no signs of a resurrection. I'm not a hater. I really like live tiles, the Glance screen, the color schemes, the fonts, the messaging, the file explorer, the syncing of my messages to my laptop, and the "cachet" of having something different than everyone else. Without any specific commitment from MS, I'm about to jump ship again.
    anon(9603734) and Felix Wong like this.
    04-12-2017 02:04 PM
    Verizon users have already progressed through the 5 Stages of Grief. Y'All are behind and need to catch up.....
    Believe me...I did go through this in 2015 when it was confirmed Verizon would not get the 950xl and I had to move to Android. It was agonizing...
    04-12-2017 02:12 PM
    How do I feel? Sad. I've spent years of my life waiting for this platform to take off and yet here we sit.
    How do I feel? Frustrated with MS for allowing us loyal followers to go this long with nary a word said about what their plan is for supporting our favorite platform.
    How do I feel? Discouraged that even if there is a plan, that MS will not market it well, that no developers will write any apps for it, and that the whole bridge-from-android, bridge-from-iOS, & bridge-from-win32 went nowhere.
    How do I feel? A bit foolish to have held on this long - despite my bank not offering an app, my Directv not offering me an app, and with my Band 2 non-replaceable (they gave me a refund) that there're no decent smart watches that support WM10.
    How do I feel? Super skeptical that BUILD will offer us anything resembling realistic hope in this platform.
    How do I feel? A bit excited to try the Sony phone coming out in June that resembles the L900 in shape, has a dedicated camera button, and houses the 835 snapdragon that I've heard so much about that will "someday" power the (vaporware) Surface Phone. I hear bad stuff about the Android OS from others here on this forum, but if it works for like 82% of the world using smartphones it can't be too bad, right?
    Now, how do you feel about how I feel?
    bing722 and anon(9603734) like this.
    04-12-2017 02:55 PM
    Seems like a lot of news got dumped this week on the W10 Mobile front. Most of it ambiguous, some of it a let down.

How is everyone feeling about this? We've got the Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition, an announcment that most Windows Phones have been axed from future updates (normally this is routine news but with it's 2-year update cycle that is a lot of now axed models), and even Windows Central seems to be a bit on edge with the UWP article (which was extremely well written IMO).

Do you think this is a sign of things to come? Is MS just wiping the slate clean before they take their next mobile step? What the heck has this week made you feel in regards to W10 Mobile and how MS is handling it?

It sucks, cause I really loved the live tiles and how it worked in general. There are so few apps for Windows mobile now. I was shocked that more apps are leaving versus being made. I believe that micro soft needs to do something drastic. I believe if they really can put win 10 on arm processors and make a surface phone, that will shake things up for the phone world and be a huge plus for windows.
    04-12-2017 03:22 PM
    Happy with my phone, disappointed with how Microsoft is unwilling to engage with those of us who invested in the platform.
    04-12-2017 03:47 PM
    I've already moved to Android and a OnePlus 3 as my daily driver. I still have my Lumia 650 set to fast ring to see the updates, but honestly, it's pretty much just gathering dust right now as even the updates bring few compelling features.

I still hold firm that Windows Phone has the best UI. I miss my live tiles and, while widgets don't totally suck, they just aren't the same. The move to Android has actually made me even more pissed off at MS and they're handling of their phone business.

So many baked-in features work so well on WP that either don't work well or require additional apps or setup on Android. Example: Cortana would automatically ask to read text messages when connected to Bluetooth. No setup required. It just worked. On Android? No such built-in functionality. Many apps perform that task, but they are substandard compared to Cortana. Also true with GPS voice directions. They would automatically come through my car speakers via Bluetooth. On Android? Nope.

WP also had excellent social media integration. Sure, the decimation of the People Hub was a bummer, but out-of-the-box social media integration is still better on WP.

The fact that MS never truly committed to advertising these awesome features or to advertising WP in general is frustrating.

With the future of the platform so cloudy, I just can't commit any more $ to it, at least not until MS shows they are sticking with it. I feel terrible for folks at Cerulean who are trying to promote quality hardware at this time. But a platform that is hemorrhaging developers and apps can't be saved by hardware. MS needs to clearly state its commitment to the platform before I'll consider coming back.
    bing722, libra89 and anon(9603734) like this.
    04-12-2017 04:24 PM
    I don't really plan on going anywhere. I would love the new stuff and I REALLY miss my Band 2 (which basically can't last longer than a year without the armband cracking). If my 950xl breaks I'll get something else but I don't know what. I hate both other operating systems for so many reason but if MS won't replace my 950xl with a 950xl I'll probably get one of the others. Whichever has the best watch I guess...
    04-12-2017 04:43 PM
    Here's what I am feeling. Buying a Windows 10 Mobile device today would be like buying the Lumia 900 in April of 2012, only to find out later the next OS won't be compatible with your hardware. Windows on ARM could very well be a leap comparable to Windows Phone 7.5 to Windows Phone 8, which would reset things a bit.

I'd be very tempted to by the Alcatel Idol S4 Pro, if I had assurances it could run the new Windows 10 on ARM. Just not sure that is in the cards.

But overall, I don't think Microsoft's mobile OS story is dead; not by a long shot. I'm just not sure what the consumer footprint will look like.
    Last edited by napkatz; 04-12-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    04-12-2017 04:45 PM
    Here is my take:

- I have been on WP8.1 with L930, I just loved the interface;
    - month ago I decided I need Dual SIM, so I grabbed very last L650 available in my country;
    - it's not laggy, it's just slow, GPS fixation is awful, "Resuming" screen even after unlocking phone, but other than this, it's fine (no app gap for me apart from some specific scenarios), and maybe battery could be bigger, but hell - I missed 950 train long ago, and even if Amazon still has them, I didn't want to blow so much money;

This year it will be 3 years since I am sticking with Windows in smartphones, and mostly ignoring comments of friends/colleagues about how I am stupid and should move to Android/iOS. That says something about my own commitment to Microsoft universum. Hell, I even created Outlook account so I can have a fresh start with L650.

And few days ago, I found myself lurking around Android Central, snooping around Nokia phones, because they are nice.

I am giving Microsoft time till MWC 2018. If they (or OEMs) don't come up with something that will once again juice my attention, then I am switching platforms - even if it will be against my inner will...
    04-12-2017 04:46 PM
    I started out with Nokia feature phones, went to Symbian, and then HTC Windows Mobile 5 and 6 devices. I felt Windows Phone 7 was a bit of downgraded being so limited but Windows Phone 7.5 started to resolve that and I've generally been happy with Windows Phone 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 Mobile as an operating system. I still prefer Windows 10 Mobile over Android or iOS and still prefer Microsoft over Apple or Google. However, unfortunately, the loss of major apps, especially last year, the lack of app updates, and Microsoft's unclear strategy on mobile made me finally decide to get an Android phone this past December. I still have my Lumia 950 too and I play around with the latest fast ring builds, but it's unfortunate that developers have not, thus far, embraced Windows 10 Mobile.

I'm a long-time computer guy and I really hope an ultramobile PC comes to fruition as I will gladly purchase it. I'd love to have a full PC that I could put in my pocket, especially if it has a foldable screen. I've already accepted the fact that Windows as a smartphone OS is dead and that the app situation will not improve anytime in the near future, if ever. However, if an ultramobile PC is adequate for my needs, I would no longer need the Android phone.
    04-12-2017 04:49 PM
    The WP app attrition has been getting to me, so I actually tried to set up a Nexus 5 that I have at home and switch over to it. The 4x4 (or 4x5) app matrix was nowhere near enough to be serviceable, so I loaded Arrow launcher with their 5x6 matrix & thought it would be good. Next was getting the damn blinky light turned off, easy enough...but even after a week of web searching and optimizing, I still found myself spending way too much time opening and closing apps to find out what the current status of things was - the WP live tiles are just so much better for giving me everything I need to know at a glance. With Android, it's having to scroll to different home screens and/or open apps to find out which email account actually had a new message and which didn't. Speaking of email - I also couldn't find a good way to manage multiple email accounts (1 work, 1 outlook.com personal, and 2 gmail) and have homescreen icons with new message badges for each without loading several apps - on WP I just add another mail icon for each account, and my two primary personal accounts get combined under one. Short of gmailifying my outlook (which it turns out doesn't work like IMAP backwards to Outlook.com, and is thus pointless), I couldn't find a way to make this work well. And my junk email that I like to ignore and only check a few times a day gave me notifications the same as my primary gmail until I moved it to yet another app with a different UI. Gmail tags didn't help either - no way to combine two accounts under one tag, and use a separate tag for my junk gmail account.

Overall, not impressed with Android (6.0.1). It's way too much work for someone who needs to minimize distractions and just be able to get stuff done. I may try again at some point, but for now I'll be sticking with WP.
    vhl71 likes this.
    04-12-2017 04:56 PM
    As usual; Microsoft releases something cool, everyone spreads FUD about Microsoft.
    As usual; A "competitor" releases a new device, everyone spreads FUD about Microsoft.
    As usual; Either of the above happens, everyone runs to [insert website here] to speak recklessly about a bunch of **** they have no clues about.

Nothing new to see here, move along.
    04-12-2017 05:19 PM
323 ... 45678 ...