One heck of a week for W10 Mobile. What's everyone feeling?

Trey Bennett

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Exactly what just changed? I find it hard to believe most all of us aren't insiders and have had these updated for weeks and some parts months. Many already have the new update that is even called windows 10 for phones...

Windows mobile is better in every way than the other phones OSs. If you want to play games, get an Xbox. Web portals are better, faster, and faster growing than apps. Everything else windows phone wins.

And I am.sorry if your 5 year old phone won't get the update. A 950 is $300. Get one.

OFMarz

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
As a long time Windows Phone user, I am concerned. Messenger is no longer being usable, I'm wondering what's next. I have doubts that Windows​ Phone will be a viable device in the future. Prove me wrong, please.

mpou

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Seems like a lot of news got dumped this week on the W10 Mobile front. Most of it ambiguous, some of it a let down.

How is everyone feeling about this? We've got the Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition, an announcment that most Windows Phones have been axed from future updates (normally this is routine news but with it's 2-year update cycle that is a lot of now axed models), and even Windows Central seems to be a bit on edge with the UWP article (which was extremely well written IMO).

Do you think this is a sign of things to come? Is MS just wiping the slate clean before they take their next mobile step? What the heck has this week made you feel in regards to W10 Mobile and how MS is handling it?

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty tired of the whole thing and pretty sure I'll be leaving for Android this year. I don't even like the other OS's, so it's pretty sad that MS's has managed to drop the ball so much that I'm looking to leave.
Further than that, I've lost confidence that MS will commit to anything in the consumer space in a way that'll bring success. Whether true or not, that's the perception that I've taken on from all of MS's actions in consumer products and has been stated before, perception is reality.
I know I'm likely suffering from confirmation bias, but I now see the same management mistakes starting to land on MS's established consumer portfolio which I think MS are looking to manage a steady decline of as they pivot to Cloud.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, FWIW... It's national beer day in the US, So drink if you got 'em!

Thought I'd try to lighten the mood here ??????

Conspiracy theory IPA ??????
http://i.imgur.com/NFNtJY7.jpg

Sent from mTalk

EWWWWWWWWWWWW frickin grapefruit disguised as beer.....good god man...please drink a Belgium double or quad at least. :wink:

I left W10m long ago.....i loved my lumia 929 but with out apps...its useless as a device for me. I dont need any MS apps...just great general use ones:

Music player (where is power amp?)
Good call blocking apps....ms has one but its not that great
My thermostat app
I tried a band...but they suck for build quality though very good otherwise.
I could list many apps I use almost daily that MS W10m does not have or any workable ones for my needs.

Yea I would love to be using a W10m device again....but until they have app support that is at least on par with ios and android.....I wont be leaving android anytime soon. Though I depend on my Win10 PC's to pull the major work load I have.

normal music player......good call blocking apps, my thermostat app..

Last edited:

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Despite the continued fake news the Windows phone is not dead

Yep. Correct.

The nuisance I experience from apps that don't work perfectly is vastly less annoying that the nuisance of having to read every single day some random person proclaiming that it's "dead", "unworkable" etc.

But hey, it drives traffic to websites and I'm guilty of reading all the moaning, so it's really my own fault. Nobody's perfect.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
EWWWWWWWWWWWW frickin grapefruit disguised as beer.....good god man...please drink a Belgium double or quad at least. :wink:

I left W10m long ago.....i loved my lumia 929 but with out apps...its useless as a device for me. I dont need any MS apps...just great general use ones:

Music player (where is power amp?)
Good call blocking apps....ms has one but its not that great
My thermostat app
I tried a band...but they suck for build quality though very good otherwise.
I could list many apps I use almost daily that MS W10m does not have or any workable ones for my needs.

Yea I would love to be using a W10m device again....but until they have app support that is at least on par with ios and android.....I wont be leaving android anytime soon. Though I depend on my Win10 PC's to pull the major work load I have.

normal music player......good call blocking apps, my thermostat app..

Well your in luck on the music player. With win32 apps incoming, you'll be spoilt for choice.

Akram Eleyan

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
As a Microsoft FTE, I can see it this way.
The platform will stick around for now, is there plans for Windows Mobile? I would say yes. But the focus and dedication here is shifting.
I am not sure and I am not speaking on behalf of MS here, in all cases, the focus will not be to compete against iOS and Android, as these are in a different league altogether from consumers perspective.
I said that many times and will still saying it, what is killing the platform is APPS. Yes, consumers want to have Snapchat, usable Instagram and Facebook, Twitter with full feature-set. I know someone will argue that by saying "There are third-party apps out there can do the job", true in many cases, but average consumer looks for the apps by name, not by function. It is the reality, a teenager want to Snapchat after all! They want to play Angry Birds Transformers!!

The apps gap has been addressed entirely wrong, the universal apps proven to be a good strategy, but it is lacking the foundation of covering the basic ground of apps.

I have never came across a user who tried the platform and decided not to adopt it, gave me any reason apart from "This App is not there, this app is sucks, this app doesn't work like it works on iPhone"

In fact, I knew some users who decided to switch from Android to iPhone just because Snapchat is working better on iPhone!! See!! These little "might be stupid" details make the difference, but they are valid. Customers say what they want and what they like.

I would say, the platform focus will be the Enterprise now, and we saw some moves like the HP Elite X3, which is a good device, but it is not for consumers, HP building it is a proof with it's feature set that suites Enterprise and loyal audience only. Even with the rumored Surface Phone, which in my understanding might never see the light.

The mistake made was the release of Lumia 950 and 950 XL. Premium price for a clucky and cheap feeling handsets, they are running half-backed OS at the release time, on top of that, the Apps Gaps. That was a magical disaster recipe for failure.

Windows 10 Mobile is here to live, till when, who knows, but I am not expecting any dramatic change any time soon.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
As a Microsoft FTE, I can see it this way.
The platform will stick around for now, is there plans for Windows Mobile? I would say yes. But the focus and dedication here is shifting.
I am not sure and I am not speaking on behalf of MS here, in all cases, the focus will not be to compete against iOS and Android, as these are in a different league altogether from consumers perspective.
I said that many times and will still saying it, what is killing the platform is APPS. Yes, consumers want to have Snapchat, usable Instagram and Facebook, Twitter with full feature-set. I know someone will argue that by saying "There are third-party apps out there can do the job", true in many cases, but average consumer looks for the apps by name, not by function. It is the reality, a teenager want to Snapchat after all! They want to play Angry Birds Transformers!!

The apps gap has been addressed entirely wrong, the universal apps proven to be a good strategy, but it is lacking the foundation of covering the basic ground of apps.

I have never came across a user who tried the platform and decided not to adopt it, gave me any reason apart from "This App is not there, this app is sucks, this app doesn't work like it works on iPhone"

In fact, I knew some users who decided to switch from Android to iPhone just because Snapchat is working better on iPhone!! See!! These little "might be stupid" details make the difference, but they are valid. Customers say what they want and what they like.

I would say, the platform focus will be the Enterprise now, and we saw some moves like the HP Elite X3, which is a good device, but it is not for consumers, HP building it is a proof with it's feature set that suites Enterprise and loyal audience only. Even with the rumored Surface Phone, which in my understanding might never see the light.

The mistake made was the release of Lumia 950 and 950 XL. Premium price for a clucky and cheap feeling handsets, they are running half-backed OS at the release time, on top of that, the Apps Gaps. That was a magical disaster recipe for failure.

Windows 10 Mobile is here to live, till when, who knows, but I am not expecting any dramatic change any time soon.

As long as Microsoft keeps focusing like it has been on creatives, businessfolk and gamers they can carve out a market in any computing area. For those people the issue isn't so much apps, as high quality, desktop grade software. Power you don't get on the other platforms as much. You bring those people over, the apps will follow.

I'd do it this way -

1) create a deal to bring 10 major third party pieces of win32 software, fully scalable and touch friendly, and into the windows store, at the time of the win10 on ARM release.

2) Add a virtual touch xbox game controller (Which would draw pocker gamers pretty hard), to draw in the massive back catalogue of games that can run fine on phones and tablets but are simply missing the controls. There are already people working on these, you could buy one out, and job would be 70-90% done.

My list would be something like this:

Fruity Loops (already scales for tablet, lots of people use this)
Adobe Illustrator (sketching on a phone with a stylus is a perfect example of the use of power on a smaller FF)
Adobe premiere effects? (I know people do make youtube videos while travelling quite a bit)
Firefox or Opera, full desktop (partly for the chrome extensions, which help fill the app gap. Doubt google would do it though)
Oracle Database?
Slack
Some form of coding editor
Some kind of small business accounting software
Perhaps one or two more core enterprise applications. Not my speciality
And a few games - Trine 2, is already touch, would just need scaling.
If you had the xbox virtual controller, you could have a few classics, like half-life 2, or any Microsoft licensed games they thought would make a nice demo of the platform. You'd want maybe 3-4 of these on release to say "this is the real mobile phone gaming experience".

If they could simply show windows 10 on arm, running on a phone, capable of more software depth and power, even ordinary people sitting on the bus might think...why can't I play that? Why can't my phone do those things?

And dedicated professionals and creatives will see the workflow benefit of continuum, being able to continue to work and be inspired away from the desk.

I also know gigging musicians are often looking for smaller FF's to take on the road.

For these crowds, yes, snapchat might be useful. But its not their be all and end all, and they are perfectly capable of going third party.

Trying to play apple at the iPhone game makes no sense. That's not even how apple got there. Follow the history - they carved a creative niche in desktop. Marketed themselves as innovators, and used "values branding", THEN they created the iPhone which sold like hotcakes even though it had no app store. Then we worked up to where we are today.

MS currently has some of that same "air of cool". Some people are saying "is MS the new apple?". The surface line is popular with the same age of young early adopters that took up smartphones. All they really need to do is extend that with innovation - and back up their vision with some money to encourage investment.

Not "me too" economics. There's no room for a third type of iPhone clone. What they want is a phone that does more, and appeals more to another group of people. If they can find that, makes something 'that does more", the other apps will come. As will "the cool".

And then, when flexible graphene OLED inevitably comes (and also voice activated smaller FFs), with some hopefully larger tablet marketshare, and a broad selection of more complex, powerful software - they will be perfectly positioned for the larger screen real estate, as well as via Cortana + bots, smaller FFs like watches, jewelry and scrolling phones.

There's not really a world in which apps, as currently formulated are "the future", so much as a player amongst many. They are too simple and feature poor for larger screens, incapable of any real fuinctionality with no screen.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
The current news have not made me feel any different than how I feel now.
My biggest concerns is that W10 has not been able to replicate the speed and stability of W7/8/8.1.

Photos: to me is are a nightmare (not sure I'm allowed to share a rambling I posted on medium about how I feel regarding other people's perception (and mine) Title: Why Windows Mobile keeps failing to stand out. The summary is basically that even though Microsoft optimized, standby to > burst shooting load times, the adding finishing touches or PHOTOS app not loading the photos right away breaks the entire optimization they did in the forefront.

Messaging: Sometimes when typing multiple messages, this app hangs for several seconds before I can start typing a new text.

People: Sometimes this app crashes for no known reasons (stable or insider versions)

Auto Restarts: I am not sure how they have not gotten to the bottom of what keeps forcing my phone to restart from just being on standby in the pocket (stable or insider versions) the frequency has dropped dramatically but it still happens from time to time.

Store: I have better results searching for apps on BING than I do on the store. This experience has improved but the app still isn't super great.

Battery Life: This I have never been able to pin point. I have days of same use where I can go till 6PM and I have around 25% and others where the battery is 70%. Inconsistent.

Edge: Sometimes filling out forms is annoying. Values won't show up to select from a list. When they do, they display on the screen similar to a desktop. I'd prefer to have the entire screen show me the carrousel of options so that I don't have to worry about precision tapping. Full screen videos - sometimes the image will just freeze while there is sound playing after going to full screen (not always) or worst the screen stays black. Other times the browser makes websites think it's an Android and i'm taken to a page to try and launch android app store to install an app I can't use.

Outlook: It's really interesting how fast Outlook used to be on 7/8/8.1. Now the email takes several minutes to load or check for new emails. Then opening an email takes several minutes to download the pictures where before was also almost immediate. This does not matter if it is Exchange or Outlook.com.

APP GAP: This is not something I fault MS, since they can't control which products get built for their application. It would be interesting however to see Microsoft do something similar to how they did with YouTube and build apps that hook to popular services out there. We know google was resistant to partner with Microsoft, but we know other companies wouldn't mind having Microsoft make their best version of the app. Rudy Hyun (sp) should have definitely been recruited by Microsoft and put to work on Microsoft 3rd party solutions given his knowledge, design and speed in delivery.

I probably have a lot to say but I have also been using Windows Phone since pre Windows 7.
I've also used android and iOS and I won't pretend to say I don't enjoy some of their seamless experiences (some inspired by Windows Phone or Nokia)

-END-

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Despite the continued fake news the Windows phone is not dead

I'm a bit weirded out by this statement. What exactly is fake news? The percentage of marketshare isn't fake. The silence from MS isn't fake. The fact they're adding a Galaxy phone to their stores can calling it "The Microsoft Edition" isn't fake. The strange two year hardware cycle isn't fake. etc.

I get where you're coming from in the sense that there's been no official word that Windows Phone is dead. It's entirely possible the rumors that W10M will put to pasture with Redstone 3 are just that: rumors. But none of the points other people have made are invalid or fake.

If anything it's a serious lack of communication on Microsoft's part that's the problem. Not some perceived, but truthfully non-existent, fake news campaign. When people make the proclamation that Windows Phone is dead it's hyperbole, sure... But it's also a well, and statistically, educated guess so far as the future of the platform is concerned.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
APP GAP: This is not something I fault MS, since they can't control which products get built for their application. It would be interesting however to see Microsoft do something similar to how they did with YouTube and build apps that hook to popular services out there. We know google was resistant to partner with Microsoft, but we know other companies wouldn't mind having Microsoft make their best version of the app. Rudy Hyun (sp) should have definitely been recruited by Microsoft and put to work on Microsoft 3rd party solutions given his knowledge, design and speed in delivery.

While I agree Microsoft should spend money on third party applications, I think a me too approach to apps is the last thing they should do. Spend money on adobe, on image-line, on EA/games makers, on oracle etc. Bring those power apps over to UWP and the store. Make a product that stands out for power users.

Adding snapchat or similar will do nothing to bring users over from ios and android. There is no room for a third copycat. MS should instead try and make their tablets and phones as capable as their desktops, by bringing that high quality, high development money, pro software to the smaller screens.

And they should add a touch xbox controller. Because that adds a back catalogue of games that will sell consumer gamers on the OS. Just as it does with desktop.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm a bit weirded out by this statement. What exactly is fake news? The percentage of marketshare isn't fake. The silence from MS isn't fake. The fact they're adding a Galaxy phone to their stores can calling it "The Microsoft Edition" isn't fake. The strange two year hardware cycle isn't fake. etc.

I get where you're coming from in the sense that there's been no official word that Windows Phone is dead. It's entirely possible the rumors that W10M will put to pasture with Redstone 3 are just that: rumors. But none of the points other people have made are invalid or fake.

Apple has a habit of doing the exactly the same thing for all its major releases (being silent until the day).

I think windows 10 mobile is being put out to pasture. If you look at the CU on home/pro, you'll see they are porting all the phone features over to windows 10 proper.

Samsung and Windows have a long history of co-operation, and they both sell each others products, and have for ages.

The market share of win 10 mobile is because it doesn't off any consumers anything. Hence why it needs to be scrapped. No new hardware is because they don't have anything competitive to run it on.

MS has been re-grouping and re-strategizing their angles. Still remains to be seen how well thought out that plan is, but there is no suggestion MS is abandoning mobile, and in fact the opposite is true - its central to the vision of win 10 that it will be able to be hardware independent, run on everything from wearables to desktops - and we can see the start of that merger in the CU.

Again, implementation remains to be seen, but windows mobile is a long way from abandoned. Windows 10 mobile users on the other hand - they've been pretty much given regular updates in the hope they will stick around for the reincarnation.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Again, implementation remains to be seen, but windows mobile is a long way from abandoned. Windows 10 mobile users on the other hand - they've been pretty much given regular updates in the hope they will stick around for the reincarnation.

I'm iffy on the "hope they will stick" part. There's obviously a niche for the most die hard of Windows fans or those people who just don't want Android or iOS. But I have a feeling they're going to lose some of the faithful the way they've been dragging W10M users through the mud that has been the past three years, only to say "Hey, thanks for being our Beta testers but we're done with this and we're sorry we didn't tell you earlier... Even though we had no hardware to provide, virtually zero third party vendors, and overall really no reason not to give people a heads up."

I'm in agreement with most others that MS has other mobile ambitions in mind. Why else invest in getting Windows 10 on ARM? But whatever those ambitions are will likely be more enterprise based and less consumer based. There's a good chance they'll end up shunning the consumers they did have. I really doubt we'll see much from MS by way of a 5-7" screen size form factor any time soon anyways. Even if they did I'm dubious about the future prospects of the UWP. Without UWP revenue it almost doesn't make sense.

I guess we'll wait and see. Build is literally 1 month away. As much as the recent W10M news has my hackles up I bet we'll have clear answers in a month... Not the worst wait since we've already waited as long as we have.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
In her yesterday interview for Windows Central, Dona Sarkar kind of hinted Microsoft's view of Mobile. She hinted that Microsoft doesn't believe the smartphones will continue to live for much longer. She said that staring at a screen that you took out from your pocket is unnatural. She said that at Microsoft they think that swiping, pinching, touching a screen aren't natural, human gestures. So they want to invent new mobile devices categories. Probably the next mobile device that will come from Microsoft will be able to make and receive phone calls but won't be a phone.
So Windows 10 Mobile as an operating system probably will continue to live but not on phones as we know them today.
This kind of ambiguous message is exactly the one that you guys from Windows Central said that Microsoft should stop sending. And I agree. It is a confusing message. Microsoft should come out and say in a cristal clear message what exactly they are planning to do with Windows 10 Mobile.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
In her yesterday interview for Windows Central, Dona Sarkar kind of hinted Microsoft's view of Mobile. She hinted that Microsoft doesn't believe the smartphones will continue to live for much longer. She said that staring at a screen that you took out from your pocket is unnatural. She said that at Microsoft they think that swiping, pinching, touching a screen aren't natural, human gestures. So they want to invent new mobile devices categories. Probably the next mobile device that will come from Microsoft will be able to make and receive phone calls but won't be a phone.
So Windows 10 Mobile as an operating system probably will continue to live but not on phones as we know them today.
This kind of ambiguous message is exactly the one that you guys from Windows Central said that Microsoft should stop sending. And I agree. It is a confusing message. Microsoft should come out and say in a cristal clear message what exactly they are planning to do with Windows 10 Mobile.

I can see their point. Conversation, when it gets up to scratch is more natural. Augmented reality and 3d hand gestures are more natural. Smartphones ARE small too. Everyone squinting at them is kind of weird. Empirically pretty bad for the eyes. A folding screen would be better. A watch you can talk to would be better (not like those crappy smart home devices, but a real interface). Glasses with augmented reality and virtual screens would be better (although the HoloLens is way too big for casual use)

So yeah, I kind of agree. But some of those are awhile off. Even in MS pours a lot of money into developing them. So the immediate "new form factors" will need to be pragmatic evolutions, not merely just long term moonshots. Then again if they think "not for much longer", maybe they already have something in proto.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I guess we'll wait and see. Build is literally 1 month away. As much as the recent W10M news has my hackles up I bet we'll have clear answers in a month... Not the worst wait since we've already waited as long as we have.

Yeah, we are too close to the windows on arm merger we see in CU, for their NOT to be something announced at build. So we'll see soon.

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Dona said that???????
Smartphones won't live much longer??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo