What exactly is the "Creators Update" and what will it do for Windows mobile?

David Jewers

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty adept with windows phone; I've hade a 635 that I de-branded, a T-Mobile 640 (plus 5 more AT&T 640's that I unlocked and flashed to TMO when they were $29 at Best Buy),a 435, a 1520, 2 Lumia Icons, and currently using a Samsung ATIV SE running Windows 10 Mobile 10.0.14393.953 (thats 12 Windows phones if u were counting).... But I have no idea what the "Creators Update" is. Is it just a fancy name for Win10 update for some well needed hype, or am I really out of the loop?

Nathan-NL

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Some call it the Reader's Update for Mobile.

Edit: But the fact is that the Creators Update does not bring many new features to Windows 10 Mobile. It's mostly a refined experience.

Last edited:

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
what will it do for mobile? well, I hear it will make them seem faster

That's one of the goals, but right now are some minor updates, as libra89 said when this will be released it will have a lot of updates and it will be a step to make that big jump to the unifying OS for Desktop and Mobile devices.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It's the next major update for Windows 10, including the Mobile and Xbox platforms, although it is a more minor update than the previous Anniversary Update. It brings Windows 10 one step closer to being a completely unified operating system. Most of the improvements you'll see on Mobile are underlying performance enhancements, especially on older phones.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
It's the next major update for Windows 10, including the Mobile and Xbox platforms, although it is a more minor update than the previous Anniversary Update. It brings Windows 10 one step closer to being a completely unified operating system. Most of the improvements you'll see on Mobile are underlying performance enhancements, especially on older phones.

how come.. they just dropped support for those, lol microsoft truly loves to play games, I guess...

jimh12345

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
how come.. they just dropped support for those, lol microsoft truly loves to play games, I guess...

I just found out that my phone won't get the update. In fact, only a few models will. And the vaporous Surface Phone is where it's always been - at an infinite distance in the future. So that's it for me, I'm now shopping for an Android "Microsoft Edition" phone.

What this update will "do for Windows Mobile" is reduce MS's market share from .3% to .03%, quite an achievement. Eventually they'll get down to exactly 1 customer with an active phone - and maybe Nadella will take him to lunch, and show him concept art for a Surface Phone to be released when Mars is colonized.

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I think MS in moving you forward to harmonize your MS account with all your devices, via Cloud, and make the flow of your interests and data able follow you around like a devoted puppy:)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
it used to be like that on 8.1

@EspHach, is I agree, OneNote and some apps actually did a great job at being available across devices, I think that was the 101 version. Now it looks that W10 is trying to improve on that with all, or most, programs, apps and devices, version 201, or 301.

At least that is the impression I'm getting.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

I agree, it's silly. But I also think it's silly for people to continuously complain about this. All the phones that are supposedly being dropped (it's still not 100%) are over two years old. That's still a longer life span than most Android devices and all of those devices got any Windows 10 update almost immediately as it was available. Even the most expensive flagships usually have to wait months after the initial release date before they get a major update.

Yes, I think it's ironic that the update that dramatically improves performance on older devices is the update that drops support for those same older devices. I also think you got what you paid for when you bought that phone. Almost any Android phone wouldn't have gotten the same treatment. Yes, I think any one of those devices are perfectly capable of running the Creator Update and running it well. But that doesn't mean Microsoft is obligated to update those devices. If support for them really has been dropped, I'll swallow my disappointment because it's what happens to any phone over time.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree, it's silly. But I also think it's silly for people to continuously complain about this. All the phones that are supposedly being dropped (it's still not 100%) are over two years old. That's still a longer life span than most Android devices and all of those devices got any Windows 10 update almost immediately as it was available. Even the most expensive flagships usually have to wait months after the initial release date before they get a major update.

Yes, I think it's ironic that the update that dramatically improves performance on older devices is the update that drops support for those same older devices. I also think you got what you paid for when you bought that phone. Almost any Android phone wouldn't have gotten the same treatment. Yes, I think any one of those devices are perfectly capable of running the Creator Update and running it well. But that doesn't mean Microsoft is obligated to update those devices. If support for them really has been dropped, I'll swallow my disappointment because it's what happens to any phone over time.

but why, have you wondered why? why are mobiles treated that way, while a decade old desk pc is getting w10 down its throat forcefully

its like a lot of things went wrong with mobile, probably due to the way they opened the doors, taking a broader market than desks-laptops ever did, sadly resulted in "data plans" and charging by "data consumption" as if it were an expendable resource, people buying phones from communications companies, like if we were supposed to buy cars from gas stations, having them tied to each station's proprietary mixture of gas

anyway all this nonsense is just sad at this point, its all thanks to user's ignorance, and letting arbitrary business-friendly decisions become the norm

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Gradually replace it, given we now have "phone", "hotspot" and SMS/MMS settings on desktops :p

But I do hear there are some UI changes for win 10 mobile. And that makes sense that they'd focus there, because that will need refining before they fully unify the platform and drop windows 10 mobile.

FYI, all the big updates have names. Like "Anniversary". It's called "Creators" because that is part of the new vision for MS, under Nadella. Focusing on Windows strengths - gaming, creativity and enterprise. The main angle of the update on desktop regarding creativity is 3D, viewing 3D objects, creating them, HoloLens etc. But I believe it also has monitor settings for compatible monitors like the Studio. But it also includes productivity features and gaming features on desktop.

On the phone, the features changes are mainly UI, and productivity.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

If they don't have a chance of running full Windows 10 on ARM, they are going to be out at some point anyway. 2GB ram would be the minimum I suspect, and I doubt that will be ideal for win32 apps.

jimh12345

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't get all the posts I see, saying that Microsoft "isn't obligated" to update existing phones, "never promised" to do so, and that every technology product is obsolete in 2 years anyway. No, they're not obligated, they don't have to bother making the update run on older phones. They'd only do this if - oh, I don't know - maybe they wanted to retain customers like me, and not further reduce their pathetic market share, while pushing the Surface Phone further into the future. But, I guess they've figured out how to succeed without us. I don't care any more, I'm buying an Android. Sayanara.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I look at it the same way I do when the automotive manufactures were faced with unleaded fuel; they didn't spent all their time trying to retrofit cars with the older engines, they just moved on, taking on the new challenge. The consumer took a bigger hit back then, and now you have 10% ethanol (and efforts are being made to increase that percentage); I haven't had an engine that runs right now that its impossible to find stations that doesn't have ethanol included.

Trying to retrofit older phones for a technology they will never be fully able to power, may just be slowing MS down and their ability to fully focus on future mobile devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium