The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-04-2017 11:03 AM
100 1234
tools
    Is it just me, or does predictive text on 10 mobile feel inferior to 8.1? Instead of suggestions based on what I've typed, it seems quite certain that I've mistyped and suggests words with completely different letters, right up until I only have one or two letters left. On a positive note, it is relearning my particular world, and now knows that Margarita Tuesday is a thing. However, it no longer suggests the poop emoji after I type "I have to..." That always made me smile.
    No, you are right. Predictive text, especially with the virtual keyboard is worse in windows 10 mobile than it is in windows phone 8. For many words in English or my language setting I often have to choose the 5-10th word in the list to find the right word. In a bit less than half the time the word I chose isn't even in the list and I have to actually type letter for letter over half a word before the algorhythm finds the word.My experience with windows phone 8 was that the predictive algotrhyhm was far better. I have learned to live with it because I have seen microsoft not improve any of this in the last 3 years. But I can't say I have become more productive with windows on this matter. The spelling and grammar mistakes due to false prediction are hideous at best. Nothing good to say on this feature. Don't understand why they still have not changed the algorhythm for all languages, including English.

Language is an issue that is plaguing windows badly. I still don't understand after 3 years of windows 10 why microsoft can't prioritize this. It's part of a basic experience in windows. Poor language support is a poor experience at the basic level. Microsoft is praising and marketing Cortana for example too. But Cortana, at its fundamental level has a flawed experience due to poor language support. But maybe that's for another discussion.
    04-11-2017 01:35 PM
    It has without a doubt gotten worse! I've wondered this for a while so it's nice someone started this thread. I used to be able to type really quickly on it, either by typing or swyping, but it's now impossible to go one or two words without having to correct something. I use SwiftKey on a Galaxy S5 and it's night and day better! Also, since I've updated to the creators update, it never automatically capitalizes the 'I' like it used to. Very frustrating to have a conversation or type out anything of length now.
    04-11-2017 01:37 PM
    Is it just me, or does predictive text on 10 mobile feel inferior to 8.1? Instead of suggestions based on what I've typed, it seems quite certain that I've mistyped and suggests words with completely different letters, right up until I only have one or two letters left. On a positive note, it is relearning my particular world, and now knows that Margarita Tuesday is a thing. However, it no longer suggests the poop emoji after I type "I have to..." That always made me smile.
    Not sure about the text prediction but for sure Cortana on Windows Phone 8.1 is understanding more from the contend of my mails and messages than on Windows 10 Mobile.
    eddieDOTexe likes this.
    04-11-2017 02:38 PM
    The predictive text is definitely worse in win10 mobile than on 8.1 or even 7.5. No doubt about it. The predictive text in 8.1 was magnificent and smoked all the other platforms' predictive ability imho. You could have used microsoft wordflow on any letters and it would magically write out the intended coherent sentence lol.
    04-11-2017 02:39 PM
    the best one was in WP7

Not sure about the text prediction but for sure Cortana on Windows Phone 8.1 is understanding more from the contend of my mails and messages than on Windows 10 Mobile.
    Yep, this too.
    I can no longer ask her "How do I get home from here?" because she'll just look up "how do i get home from here" instead of giving me directions to my house.

windows 10 mobile has a lot of neat features but the features carried over from previous versions are significantly inferior to that of 8.1 and Wp7 before it.
    This trend started in 8.1.
    xandros9 and zagiame like this.
    04-11-2017 03:45 PM
    I've been complaining about this ever since the migration. WP 8.1 prediction was verging on telepathic. It knew what you were going to type before you did. And it learned words I regularly used. Even now, the WP10 keyboard can't even predict my name.
    RJ Priest and xandros9 like this.
    04-11-2017 04:22 PM
    Hold the spacebar down and you can slide the keyboard up and down.
    Well, sure enough. It can also be shifted left-or-right with the same type of action. Pretty spiffy.
    04-11-2017 04:40 PM
    It's definitely worse. It chokes on any words longer than 8 letters long. It's always missing a form of a word you need (like a plural or past version). It will never get the word "okay" correctly, no matter how perfect you swipe. It's like they started from scratch, despite having a solid foundation in 8.1.
    04-11-2017 04:42 PM
    i live in finland and i though it was only me (finnish ppl) that the predictive text got worse on win10m than the win8.1 but it seems like everyone here has the same issue... why msft, why!? :o
    Lumia1020 Lumia950 :)
    04-11-2017 06:05 PM
    This is the going experience on Windows 10 Mobile on my Lumia 650.
    eddieDOTexe likes this.
    04-11-2017 06:19 PM
    This is the typing experience on Windows 8.1 mobile on my Lumia 920.
    eddieDOTexe likes this.
    04-11-2017 06:20 PM
    Yes, it is much worse and sometimes seems to reset (forget everything) after some updates get installed. It seemed so smart and fluid before; now it's a carp shoot...
    04-11-2017 06:27 PM
    Once upon a time, I was impressed with webOS 2.0's text correction. It was simple, but unobtrusive and quick to undo its changes if I hit backspace. It was a nice step up over what I saw as iOS 4/5's somewhat overzealous autocorrect although typing on the Pre's physical keyboard helped precision greatly over me ham-thumbing my way through iOS's still excellent virtual keyboard.

Your mention of webOS almost brought a tear to my eye. Life hasn't been the same since I used the wonderful keyboard on the Palm Pre.

On a similar note, I've also noticed that it takes me three tries generally to tap on a word and highlight the entire word. That's something I find myself doing a lot these days, mainly due to the topic of this thread.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-11-2017 06:49 PM
    It 100% has gotten worse, I've been thinking it's felt terrible for a while but thought it might just be in my head, seeing other people bring it up makes me much more confident that there is definitely something wrong
    04-11-2017 07:52 PM
    I think I just figured out why my typing has been so miserable in general on 10. On my 830, if you have the keyboard pushed to the right or left, there's really no room to shift the whole keyboard. But it does try, which makes the letters scrunch together and get smaller. Centering the keyboard stretches it back out, giving my fat thumbs more room for error. I didn't even realize I had it moved to the right, to be honest.
    04-11-2017 08:46 PM
    I would say, yea, Win 10 Mobile isn't as good as 8.1 was. That's purely impression, but I distinctly recall being impressed by my 920/1020/1520, to the point that I commented the Wordflow feature was nearly clairvoyant. Way better than what was going on with iOS and Android at the time, including third parties. The current implementation on my 950/XL isn't nearly as impressive, and is un-impressive fairly often. It's not bad, but I think my Pixel's stock swipe input is at least as good if not better. Don't remember to switch to that sort of keyboard enough on the iPhone to have a legitimate opinion.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-11-2017 10:10 PM
    No Question!! Windows 10 mobile keyboard Sucks!! It is probably my biggest complaint about the OS these days (besides apps not being available and disappearing) I've been with MS since forever, and up to Win 8.1, the keyboard was just getting better. Now, the Shapewriting stinks. You'd think that if you tediously traced the letters for a longer word that it should have a better chance of getting it right because there would be less chance for similar words, but no.... It often just truncates the typing and throws whatever word it can find that starts with a few of the same letters. This is INFURIATING!!!
    04-11-2017 10:42 PM
    Win10 Predictive text is my number one reason to switch platforms. 8.1 was far superior and somehow they ruined it with 10. I've been going on the MS feedback hub since the dawn of 10 complaining about it, but seems like they don't care.
    eddieDOTexe likes this.
    04-11-2017 11:19 PM
    You are so right!
    Predictive text is amazingly unpredictable now.
    8.1 was fast and fluid but it's a poor shadow of it's former glory today.
    Constantly adds wrong words, makes up words that don't exist, all in all a horrible experience now.....but sadly in the mobile space, 10 is a poor shadow of what 8.1 was in pretty much every aspect of the OS.

eddieDOTexe likes this.
    04-12-2017 12:32 AM
    Yip, definitely worse!! 80% of the time if I try type a word with 6 characters or more predictive text fails...
    G4Grandad likes this.
    04-12-2017 02:21 AM
    Does anyone else have the issue where, when using an app, the prediction and auto-correct will stop working altogether? I've noticed this, at least on Facebook, regularly happens. I don't know if it's because the app is trying to predict "tags" (which I should have the option to turn off, but that's Facebook sucking), but it's really annoying. Also, when it changes the first word of a sentence to a completely different word, when the original word was correct and a real word? Maddening. Or when I'm one letter off, and it gives a bunch of options to change to, and half of them aren't real words? I've scrolled through trying to find the right word, which ISN'T in the list, and see a bunch of gibberish instead. Inexcusable.
    G4Grandad likes this.
    04-12-2017 05:10 AM
    i couldnt agree more, its inferior, feel the same trouble!
    04-12-2017 05:15 AM
    I've just spent twice as long as necessary to complete a questionnaire (keyboard wouldn't even attempt that word using swipe) for my energy supplier. I counted 23 other everyday words that the predictive text wouldn't attempt, that needed letter by letter input and that failed to appear in the suggestions. On re reading this post I also had to change 3 words that had changed AFTER I'd moved past the correct word that was showing?? Irritating (I typed "infuriating", which I had to manually input in a post yesterday and still doesn't show up. And every time i type i its lower case as mentioned so often here. And the way it always leaves a gap as above between correct and word after I've had to correct something, but the gap isn't there in the edit I'm looking at??
    Last edited by G4Grandad; 04-12-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    04-12-2017 06:06 AM
    It is worst. It was one of the issues that forced me back to 8.1.
    04-12-2017 07:30 AM
    I use the predictive text via swipe and its now terrible when compared to when I first used the swipe function. Its infuriating and my experience it does not learn very well if at all.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-12-2017 08:05 AM
100 1234