Waiting Room: Creators Update for the Release Preview Ring

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the current fast ring build, which appears to be 15063.2 which would seem to be older than .251? But not by much? Do you happen to know what bugs were fixed between .2 and .251? They may be pretty much the same thing. It's probably not worth risking a bricking with that flashing utility if it's pretty much the same as the release version. Anyway, MS might yet release the full creators update through release preview and if (against all reason) the fast ring build is actually older than the creators update build I should get it. Is my thinking right?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Until someone posts back and confirms that unsupported Mobile devices do get Creators Update if they are in Release Preview ring, it's nothing but a BIG IF....... at best.

A copy from Feedback Hub.

Among all those mumble jumble, it says................

"However you do so at your own risk as it's unsupported."

feedbak hub..... creators update for mobile.png

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Haven't updated my phones yet. I'll currently out of town until next week. If my unsupported devices don't get the Creators Update then. I will have to go Slow Ring

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I am now downloading 15063.251 on my (unsupported) Lumia 1520.3 using Release Preview.

This download is coming on top of 15063.138, which I downloaded a couple of weeks ago on Fast Ring, before dropping to Slow Release as instructed.

So, it's coming along as described by Microsoft.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the current fast ring build, which appears to be 15063.2 which would seem to be older than .251? But not by much? Do you happen to know what bugs were fixed between .2 and .251? They may be pretty much the same thing. It's probably not worth risking a bricking with that flashing utility if it's pretty much the same as the release version. Anyway, MS might yet release the full creators update through release preview and if (against all reason) the fast ring build is actually older than the creators update build I should get it. Is my thinking right?

That is what I heard would happen on an unsupported device. The current fast ring for supported devices is 15207. You should be able to move to release preview or slow ring and eventually you will get .251. Mine didn't do it right away (I have a supported device though). I actually removed my device from the insider program and when it restarted to finish that process the update was available. You could try that, but I definitely wouldn't jump to using the WDRT. There aren't that many differences between .2 and .251, so unfortunately you just have to be patient and you will get it eventually.

kashifkiduniya

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I have lumia 540 which is not eligible for creator update. But i want to use insider program to get creator update. Please suggest me what i should choose
1. Release Preview
2. Fast ring
3. Slow ring

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Isn't 540 unsupported? If yes, before we start this, please remember that unsupported device use Creators Update "at your own risk." For me, that means that unsupported device performance will only get worse and worse as both Creator Update and Apps made for CU pull away. So, you want to do that? If not go to Anniversary Update and enjoy it's updates.

If you still want CU on an unsupported device, first go to Fast Ring until you install 15063.2 or 15063.138. Then switch to Release Preview ring, and you might get 15063.251. Going forward from there, you might get updates which may or may not be stable.

And remember, when you change Rings, it can take hours or days for updates to appear.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have lumia 540 which is not eligible for creator update. But i want to use insider program to get creator update. Please suggest me what i should choose
1. Release Preview
2. Fast ring
3. Slow ring

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
1. Release Preview
2. Fast ring
3. Slow ring

Please read this article :

You can now get the Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update on your unsupported phone

By Rich Woods @@TheRichWoods · Apr 27, 2017

excerpt:
It turned out that your phone had to first be on build 15063 before getting updates for 15063 in the ring, which means that you must first upgrade your handset via the Slow or Fast ring, and then switch it to Release Preview.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
1. Release Preview
2. Fast ring
3. Slow ring

I updated my unsupported 535DS yesterday.First Slow Insider and got 15063.2 and then 15063.138.
Then I switched to Release Preview and got the 15063.251.
Updates went on one after another.
Entire process was quite smooth and quick.
No problems so far.
All the best !

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi there just returned from a 10 day vacation and within that period I have been able to upgrade my Lumia 735 and Lumia 1520 to the Creators Update.

Getting there wasn't as straightforward as I'd hoped.

For an upsupported phone to get the Creators Update follow the steps below.
1. Enroll in the Insider Slow Ring
2. Download 15063.2 in the Slow Ring
3. Download 15063.138 in the Slow Ring
4. Switch to Release Preview Ring
5. Download 15063.251
6. Stay in the Release Preview Ring to get future cumulative updates.

So far my impressions are is that it's not much different from the Anniversary update, like many others have said.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
After been in the Creators Update for about 5 days now here's some of my findings.

On both Lumia 735 and 1520 upon initial launch of Microsoft EDGE, the keyboard wouldn't pop up when attempting to type on login screens or search bars. Succeeding launches of EDGE do not show this symptom and keyboard pops up successfully every time.

The official Facebook app on my Lumia 735 I must say is much stabler, I don't recall it crashing yet on the Creators Update, it's still slow launch though.

On my Lumia 1520 the camera app flashes a black screen for 1 second after launch and then it works after.

That's what I noticed so far. Very minor update indeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon