Lets make Microsoft talk about Windows Mobile!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Not sure about the first sentence but the second sentence is already happening, few of the people I know are already giving away their Windows powered PCs because they don't use it anymore, I even scored 3 PCs lately. And guess what they replaced it with, an iPad pro.

Most homes contain multiple devices (ie mobile platforms compliment PCs, rather than replace them). Same in business.

Although that is a curious anecdote.

Personally I kind of shudder at the notion of swapping a bigger keyboard and screen, with a comfortable mouse for a kind of imitation laptop, for sheer poverty of input and consumption. Even ignoring the reduced speed, network access, less peripherals and lower depth/quality of software on an iPad, intentionally using smaller keyboard, smaller screen, less hardware and software power, around the home -it seems so counter intuitive.

And I say that as a very serious tablet user (there's three currently in my house, along with the two desktop PCs, and one laptop). I do all sorts on my little 9.7 inch windows beast, but would I actually have selected to type this on the little laptop style keyboard attachment, rather that use my faster more powerful PC big screen monitor and nicer keyboard? (N/m the inferior browsing software of other mobile platforms)

Kind of baffling. Not that I understand apple users particularly well. You'd think anyone who could afford an ipad pro, would have pretty new decent PCs, ones they can sell for a decent price rather than give away for free.

That you are talking about multiple people doing this strange move, and all??? replacing it with one of apples least popular ipads*, suggests to me you have some fairly unusual associates.

That actually makes me quite curious about what sort of circles you move in. Not that I mean to make this personal in any way! (Just being honest, I am genuinely curious about what sort of people these are)

*heck even tablet year on year growth is down, apart from windows and budget which are both growing, hence why the premium ios and android folks (read Samsung and apple) are copying the surface/Lenovo etc, and apple released a budget ipad - Apple has had 12 consecutive quarters of lost growth in tablets, Samsung 9 consecutive.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am so sick of people talking about how this new device will be mobile but it's primary use won't be making calls. Noone primarily uses their smartphones to make calls anymore. Making calls is way down on the list of what people use their smartphones for. So now we have MS and everyone else trying to get cute with the naming and description of a device MS might release that does the same thing a smartphone does. The only difference is MS will try to call it something else and act like it falls into a different category. It will be a PC that makes calls. The exact same thing that smartphones are today for most people

Smartphones are not PC's.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
No they are not. But the average user uses their smartphones as if they are. They get online, check email, shop and use a few apps. The same thing they do or did on their PC. This device may be capable of much more than a smartphone is. But for the average person that won't matter. They will use it exactly like they use their current smartphone. So the idea of trying to create an artificial new category shows desperation.

As I said the other day, I know 11 very average users who currently have a Windows Phone and every single 1 of them say they have no interest in a Mobile PC. The idea itself seems like too much for to them.

Just market this as the evolution of a smartphone, what a smartphone should have always been able to do. A phone that can replace your tablet. Then you can actually compare it to an iPhone or Android and show how inferior they are. You just needed to disagree more than you wanted to just see the point I was making

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
No they are not. But the average user uses their smartphones as if they are. They get online, check email, shop and use a few apps. The same thing they do or did on their PC. This device may be capable of much more than a smartphone is. But for the average person that won't matter. They will use it exactly like they use their current smartphone. So the idea of trying to create an artificial new category shows desperation.

As I said the other day, I know 11 very average users who currently have a Windows Phone and every single 1 of them say they have no interest in a Mobile PC. The idea itself seems like too much for to them.

Just market this as the evolution of a smartphone, what a smartphone should have always been able to do. A phone that can replace your tablet. Then you can actually compare it to an iPhone or Android and show how inferior they are. You just needed to disagree more than you wanted to just see the point I was making

PC's are not just for going online and checking email, they are for doing work. I'm going back to school and I'm not doing it on my smartphone. I don't use my smartphone to abstract data at work. These are Microsoft's bread and butter and what they are developing, I'm guessing, is a new type of device to take it into the future. I know consumers currently just want a smartphone that can do more but its not about a phone anymore, but about devices that work together to accomplish tasks. Businesses will be the primary focus at the start followed by consumers.

When Steve Jobs built the first home computer many people said, including IBM and Microsoft, "people don't want a computer in their homes, those are for businesses". How did that turn out? You have to be able to think outside the box to survive long term in this business.

Just my 2 cents but I enjoy having conversations like this and learning different perspectives.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Hmm. Ish.

Part of the reason people want phones so simple is the FF. Tiny fidly, squinty screens.

Market currently prefers iOS over android in tablets because of the better software quality, for example, and windows is the fastest growing OS segment, with everything else but budget devices experiencing shrink. In phones, android is dominant. Its kind of opposite.

I think that's at least some indication that as you change FF, peoples expectations usually change about their experience. When you move to desktop, its primarily windows.

So yeah, kind of.

But, you have a huge assumption written in your post.

Who says a mobile PC, would be marketed to the "average user"? What would be the real point of any kind of mobile "me too" product? A third lookalike player?

Surely a windows product would be primarily marketed to prosumers, and power users, such as gamers, creatives and professionals, just as their desktop OS is?

Whether that's just browser extensions, peripheral compatibility and fully featured media players, fun deeper games or whatever. MS wants to play to its strengths, and take the emphasis on what it already does well. That is the stuff that is "more PC" than "smartphone".

And whether that's something you find powerful, marketable or not, or you don't agree with the wording, that's not wordplay, its branding. Branding is almost entirely what created modern apple. Focusing on presenting your product as a 'value' rather than a set of features, is the steve jobs template. "PC" versus "Smartphone" or "Creators, gamers and business" as a focus are values. And that makes them marketable branding, an image.

Honestly in the larger scheme, I'm not even sure smartphone devices are that important. Hard AI is not going to be able to run a smartphone. VR isn't going to be something you walk down the street doing. Even conversational platforms are entirely different from touch. I see a future where touch is just the sort of background platform, for a bunch of emerging areas.

Our current phones will pretty quickly seem like the old mainframes of 30 years ago. I'm glad MS is working with long term mentalities because there is a LOT of short term competition in the tech world. Looking to be the next thing, in the most minor way, without a vision of what the big leaps are. Busy hands, without focus.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Look, I completely get what you guys are saying and yes, it absolutely depends on who a device is marketed to. I'm speaking from the average consumer here and how they use their phones and PC's. Those of us discussing this here will be all over whatever this device is and will love the concept.

The issue is, I still believe that MS absolutely needs to be in the mobile space for Windows to stay relevant the way it has been. They simply cannot afford to become enterprise and professional user only. Which means they need a mobile play and that's where I think changing the category is a mistake.

The majority of the people in the mobile space are average users who do pretty basic things with their devices and alot of them do those things on the phone. I also know that there are still some average people out there who are wanting an upgrade path to a new Windows "Phone".

Obviously at this point we see where MS is heading or at least where they think they are heading. I have my doubts it will end up happening at all. If it does. I don't think it will work, at least not on the scale that MS is used to things working. If they can sell in the same numbers as the Surface line does that would be a resounding success for them at this point. The problem is that as time goes on, less and less everyday consumers use PC's and eventually selling Surface like numbers won't be enough to keep Windows relevant. Users leave, developers leave and you end up with an enterprise only company which is what I have been saying for over a year now, is where they will ultimately end up being.

It really sad. Sad for the platform, sad for those of us who were passionate about Windows Phone. And sad for the budget minded person who loved their 200 dollar Windows Phone and wanted an upgrade. Mostly It's sad to see a company completely abandon something when they could have made it a success. Remember, at 1 point that had roughly 50 million people using these devices and that number was increasing. And then short term profits became more important than the long term success of the platform and here we are.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You bring up a good point when you speak of the low end market. I have no idea what these proposed mobile devices will cost, especially at first. I imagine they won't be cheap. That's why I feel enterprise will be the initial market. Lets face it, inexpensive hardware loses money. Look at Apple. They have been successful at the high end. It may be several years before you see the average consumer using these devices yet the Surface line has been successful so.....I feel like I'm all over the place now. In the end I think this is the right strategy for MS, not necessarily for the average consumer.

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you seen the patent news? Microsoft has patented roaming profiles, which is presumed for Windows Cloud, but could of course be implemented for any version of Windows. Think about it, you log out of your PC and all your files and apps are just "there" where you left them on your smartphone.

I think that this must be what Microsoft is working towards. If they pull it off, I think they will create a very disruptive innovation and will leapfrog many of their competitors who are currently ahead of them.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Have you seen the patent news? Microsoft has patented roaming profiles, which is presumed for Windows Cloud, but could of course be implemented for any version of Windows. Think about it, you log out of your PC and all your files and apps are just "there" where you left them on your smartphone.

I think that this must be what Microsoft is working towards. If they pull it off, I think they will create a very disruptive innovation and will leapfrog many of their competitors who are currently ahead of them.

I think this is exactly what they're working towards. That's why Windows phone won't matter any more - it will be Windows 10 whatever-device-you-pick-up. Same experience across devices.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft does not make statements like you are requesting. I have been in the tech industry for almost 30 years. I have competed against Microsoft, developed products for Microsoft and I have partnered with Microsoft. I have many good friends that are senior managers, directors and Vice Presidents at Microsoft. When Microsoft decides to deemphasize an area they just let it slowly fade away. Later they may talk about it, but only after they have fully pulled the products out of the market.

A few years ago, Windows Mobile was all the rage at Tech Ed and Build. For the last several years they have not been mentioned at Build or Ignite. Nadella since he has taken over has tried to distance himself as far as possible from Balmer's mobile strategy. Nadella's strategy has been pretty clear, he has championed ensuring Microsoft's apps and services run great on iOS and Android. To me a clue of the MS emphasizing this strategy is selling Android phones at Microsoft's stores. Anyone who does not understand the message Microsoft is sending is in total denial. Selling Android phones that get great Microsoft app software updates full demonstrates Nadella strategy. Microsoft once in awhile makes mistakes in tech execution, but they are total PR masters. If they are silent it is by plan, if they start selling competitor products in their stores and spread the word far and wide, that is by plan.

Although I have nothing like the experience of the writer I do have a pretty good grasp of Corporate Politics and that is exactly what is happening here. You can check previous posts I have made here in regards to Nadella's plans. !st distance from Ballmer, optimize what he specializes in (CLOUD) and return MS to a company that sells Services not Products. There are certainly no manufacturing expenses with Services, at least not in a tangible sense. Apple specializes in both categories. Hello

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Roaming profiles have been around since Windows NT 4. They were a pain to support with remote boot Novell Netware 3.11.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It is very simple to understand Microsoft have baked in all the mobile bits from Windows 10 Mobile into the main OS so they no longer need a separate OS for mobile.

Intel processors do not have the power management or cellular abilities that the ARM processors have and now with the Snapdragon 835 they have the power to emulate x86 programs.

What I expect to see is a device that has at least 8GB of RAM that runs full Windows 10 and can be controlled via Cortana using a Bluetooth headset for telephony and the ability of HoloLens to project onto a wall or connect to a traditional monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I expect to be able to be able to connect this device to a domain and gave seamless VPN connectivity when away from the office.

It could be a clamshell device like the Nokia Communicator but thinner with a pair of 6" screens.

What about a performance base like you have for the Surface Book wi dGPU and extra ports.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It is very simple to understand Microsoft have baked in all the mobile bits from Windows 10 Mobile into the main OS so they no longer need a separate OS for mobile.

Intel processors do not have the power management or cellular abilities that the ARM processors have and now with the Snapdragon 835 they have the power to emulate x86 programs.

What I expect to see is a device that has at least 8GB of RAM that runs full Windows 10 and can be controlled via Cortana using a Bluetooth headset for telephony and the ability of HoloLens to project onto a wall or connect to a traditional monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I expect to be able to be able to connect this device to a domain and gave seamless VPN connectivity when away from the office.

It could be a clamshell device like the Nokia Communicator but thinner with a pair of 6" screens.

What about a performance base like you have for the Surface Book wi dGPU and extra ports.

You can already say "hey Cortana call <contact name>", but of course she says she can't do it unless its a phone.

I see something like you do. When skype bots are intergrated soon into Cortana (that should happen real soon), creating a conversational ecosystem under a "superapp", her powers can rapidly expand well beyond that of other voice assistants.

For example, I can ask a skype bot for my horoscope, or very local news, or to book me an uber, rather than simply web queries and appointments.

I can see a small, folding, credit card sized device, that is more voice operated than touch operated, and displays "info cards" via Cortana.

Perhaps in addition to something more like your two screen clamshell (hopefully with pressure sensitivity and haptic feedback to emulate a physical keyboard).

I think the conversational platform is not too far off, and makes a lot of sense, as a more natural way to interact with computers. This of course is exactly why MS hasn't entered into the smart watch or smart home catergories yet I imagine - they want a platform that is fully capable and useful before they bother.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I want a device that gives me full control via voice, touch and vision. I may not want to peer at a 6" screen and tap on a tiny keyboard like I am doing now.

I want to all my apps to be aware of voice control and be able to control my music and podcasts with Bluetooth. I want to be able to use touch when I do not want to use voice I.e in public places.

I want to be able to project wirelessly to a large screen or connect to a dock and use a mouse, keyboard and monitor.

I want to be able to connect to my external USB drives and spin up Virtual Machines for testing and learning.

microSD card slot for expansion on the road is a given.

I want to be able to switch freely between Wi-Fi and 4G and I want this device to be able to be carried in my pocket.

With the power of the Snapdragon 835 and full Windows 10 this could be nearly possible.

I do not see a device like this replacing my i7 desktop that I use for VM's but it could replace my ageing Core 2 Quad desktop that is nearly 8 years old.

Full Windows 10 on ARM with full Office 365 and full voice control would be fantastic.

If I can get such a device in 2018 I will replace the old desktop and my 950 with this single device.

Last edited:

jimh12345

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I hear over and over that MS has given up on phones and just wants to push their apps and cloud services on Android and iPhone.

I get that, but if that's the case why are they still dinking around with WM, teasing us with on again/off again updates, dropping many phones entirely but keeping a few on life support? Why don't they just kill WM10 dead and stop wasting their time and ours?

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
In the meantime, WM does serve as a template for smaller screen devices....hence why they are still rolling out updates. And if it does converge, it seems like some devices will be able to come along for the ride.

This.

When you think about it, what they're looking to do with this ARM processing is quite the venture. You're going to have to have W10 know what size screen it's on and how to present itself to the end user. Pretend W10M didn't exist today. That would be a MASSIVE undertaking to create a fresh user interface (UI) for such a feat (aka W10 ARM).

I'm willing to bet that when you do get to see W10 ARM a smaller mobile screen, it's going to look rather similar to W10M. How else would you get to understand UI and how the general public feels about it? What they like and what they don't? To embark on such a leapfrog event, you want to make sure you get it as close to right as possible out of the gate. If the general public doesn't use W10M, then you hit them with the next "big thing", you sure as heck want to make sure they have a good experience on it. For those of us who still use W10M, I'd be willing to bet that we all generally like the UI that has been refined over the past year+. While it's obviously different from the desktop experience and UI, you still feel as though you're using Windows 10. If W10M didn't exist...lord only knows what kind of UI they'd come out with for W10 ARM.

As for W10M, over at changewindows.org (God Bless those guys), I've noted two different build numbers for Redstone 3 (RS3). It looks like Desktop (and others) have adopted build number 16170.xxxx and numbers are increasing from there for fast ring insiders. The details clearly show that build number is for RS3. However, when you look at the mobile, that build number is 15204.xxxx -- the details on that build show RS3 as well. Up until now, the desktop and mobile platforms have had build numbers that reflect each other.

I interpret this as follows:

- Redstone 3 will support W10M. Most of us are not going to be able to afford a new Mobile W10 ARM unit -- as said, it'll be pricey no doubt. But MS does still have it's diehards and there's been obvious push to support businesses with the new Elite x3. I don't think they're going to squash that this quickly - W10M is going to be around for a little while. By the time they're ready to give up support for W10M (and other phone related platforms), I'm sure W10 ARM will be a perfectly viable solution. One that will probably provide a seamless user transition for folks that use W10M and want to move to W10 ARM.

If they can truly make RS3 successful and it brings the promises of seamless transition between devices, 2017 and 2018 are going to be pretty awesome for MS.

Just my two cents...

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
...Microsoft once in awhile makes mistakes in tech execution, but they are total PR masters...

This has to be the most funny thing I have read all week. Really appreciate the laugh. Microsoft has historically been a very poor company in both PR and Marketing.

PR Masters....wow, I'll have what you're drinking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo