Lets make Microsoft talk about Windows Mobile!

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The issue is, I still believe that MS absolutely needs to be in the mobile space for Windows to stay relevant the way it has been. They simply cannot afford to become enterprise and professional user only. Which means they need a mobile play and that's where I think changing the category is a mistake.

That's definitely the case, I'm pretty sure even MS can see it. Windows is being attacked from the peripheries and essentially has been contained to the PC. I presume this is why google made a big deal of not supporting WP. It's clear google has ambitions beyond the phone, and have targeted education with chrome books. This is a big deal and Dan touched on it in the last podcast with his (iirc) nephew. Once they get brought up in that ecosystem, it's what they know and what they will largely continue to use.

This is where windows dominance from enterprise was such a big deal. People were learning how to use windows computers from work, and no doubt, that's what they were buying for their own computers.

Smartphones are different, since user adoption didn't come from enterprise, it clearly became dominant purely from the consumer space, and I think in many respects, that has decided where enterprise went. In other words, enterprise went down the consumer path because of its sheer dominance. The downfall of blackberry is a great demonstration of that.

In those instances, MS has mostly been boxed in and left out of major growth areas. It appears that MS recognise this, and are doing things to correct it.

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
True.

But Android is now VERY different.
Ice Cream Sandwich/Kit Kat and Lollipop memory leaks are a thing of the past.

Nowadays, android rivals with iOS in speed and fluidness

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Good luck getting by on the chromestore in enterprise or university :p

But this is the thing, they're kids going to school now. Who knows what google has in store for 10 years in the future when they'll be going to universities.

Other thing is, they don't have to go straight for the jugular, again, they can go for the peripheries. For the large number of degrees where all you'll ever need is a word processor, chromebook can be sufficient.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
But this is the thing, they're kids going to school now. Who knows what google has in store for 10 years in the future when they'll be going to universities.

Other thing is, they don't have to go straight for the jugular, again, they can go for the peripheries. For the large number of degrees where all you'll ever need is a word processor, chromebook can be sufficient.

Well thank god MS is going after chromeOS with a passion, with windows cloud, and windows on ARM. I'll be rather pleased if we are spared a future where everything is ChromeOS!

You'd be surprised at the number of degrees where that isn't the case. Psychology for example make a bit of use of windows programs. Anything with even a touch of science. I imagine business and economics, engineering all have similar elements. I suppose if you are doing an English degree, you'll be fine. And yes, who knows what creepy uncle google has planned :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786