Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Mobile is Alive

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Here's a very short article from Windows Latest which I thought was pretty good. It might help some people put things in perspective. Microsoft are working on and will continue to work on Windows 10 Mobile. It is extremely unlikely however that they will be creating any new mobile hardware. And this is were the confusion lies. People are conflating the hardware, Mobile hardware from MS is no longer and people are taking this and then wrongly declaring that mobile software from MS is no longer. This simply has no basis in fact and is unsupported. It will be up to the OEM's to create the hardware for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully we will get a statement at BUILD 2017 to quash the rumours or at least bring clarity. Anyhow, here is the article;

Windows 10 Mobile is still alive, Microsoft confirms

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Here's a very short article from Windows Latest which I thought was pretty good. It might help some people put things in perspective. Microsoft are working on and will continue to work on Windows 10 Mobile. It is extremely unlikely however that they will be creating any new mobile hardware. And this is were the confusion lies. People are conflating the hardware, Mobile hardware from MS is no longer and people are taking this and then wrongly declaring that mobile software from MS is no longer. This simply has no basis in fact and is unsupported. It will be up to the OEM's to create the hardware for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully we will get a statement at BUILD 2017 to quash the rumours or at least bring clarity. Anyhow, here is the article;

Well urs clear that MS doesn't want to declare it dead until it gets WoA out so no wonder they say Windows mobile is alive. And as for the hardware. Which of the OEMs is out there betting big on windows mobile?? Nadella had said that if none of the OEMs pick the mantle they ll do it so wheres the hardware from MS?
dont take it as a bitter rant. I think we have another reboot in works that ms reason MS has held back new hardware.

Francisco_dAn

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I agree with the article that Microsoft could have done better with communicating what was going on ESPECIALLY since it was readily apparent that the stories were getting rewritten. That happens when the initial message isn't clear enough or disseminated thoroughly. For example, the tweet from a Microsoft in the thick of things didn't seem official or at least not from someone who should know. Couldn't tell that it was a W10 program manager. But that could just been an assumption since mobile was moved to anothe branch until the planets are aligned properly. I'm hoping for the best. I've been on Microsoft's mobile platform since the days of Pocket PC and I'm not willing to just jump ship.

DrChucky

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

Good article. Would be great if MS would also reboot their consumer communication plan along with WoA. Thanks for sharing!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
People and their damned wild rumours. They could talk themselves into hiding in the basement with a tinfoil hat on!

Thanks for posting the article, we need more calm reasoned heads round here.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Very well written article. Enjoyed reading it. It's just nice to see a fresh perspective out of all this needless chaos. People are focusing way to hard on the rumors and gossip, and none of it can be substantiated. There's only one thing I can say for certain: Microsoft needs to communicate.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Very well written article. Enjoyed reading it. It's just nice to see a fresh perspective out of all this needless chaos. People are focusing way to hard on the rumors and gossip, and none of it can be substantiated. There's only one thing I can say for certain: Microsoft needs to communicate.

That's a tricky one though, because to reply to claims of end of support, and "windows mobile is dead", kind of gives them credence, and is a bad PR look. Almost better to just roll on, and talk about upcoming OS updates...

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
That's hardware, we already know they're not making any more Windows phones. Third parties are.
This is the kind of speculation that causes unsubstantiated rumors.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

It specifically says "products, services and technologies..." So not just hardware. (Although I guess you can argue that the "Windows operating system" includes W10M.)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It specifically says "products, services and technologies..." So not just hardware. (Although I guess you can argue that the "Windows operating system" includes W10M.)

MS's plan has always been "One windows". From the beginning of the introduction of windows 10. Having Windows 10 mobile does not fall in line with "One Windows" as it may share the core but it is still too different. The goal has always been that windows will adapt to the hardware or mode it is in. So Windows 10 on ARM seems to make more sense. It's simply merging the support of mobile world right into full windows 10. So I believe windows 10 "Mobile" will disappear as an operating system and future hardware will not use it. Currently it will continue to be used in order to gather data and do more development on the arm side. With all the insiders out in the wild they get pretty good data from so many different providers and different regions. There will have to be a time when windows 10 mobile will stop getting features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss