New maps are terrible.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
You may notice "Mapping data © 2016 HERE". Maybe that's it. You may search for it on the page you shared to link to. But they only put this one line mentioning HERE, they haven't even put their logo...

But I forgot to tell you one peace of information to which I got after I noticed this issue with maps. It appears that these maps are far better on Fast insider than on Production or Release Preview Insider ring. They have the same maps as we do, but they are displayed better to them, and they even work better. For example, those guys who I asked to test the app on their phones said that they have no issues finding streets and addresses when offline like I do. So hopefully it will come to us. We did compare the Maps application version, they were different. There is hope. :)

But to be clear, I'm not suggesting anybody to join the Fast Insider ring, but I only want to share my hope with you that this might turn out to be fine after all. They were obviously changing something, and that may regard to the way how the application displays the map, and the way it accesses information on it.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 PC

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Better don't do it, that's Redstone 3, which is going to become unstable soon, and to come back to CU you will need to use WDRT. Also, i can't tell I'm sure that going to Fast insider would help with the maps. That's just what I have started to think after talking to few people.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
The biggest problem I have is bogus traffic info. I often find myself sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic and Maps shows nothing but green.

farhanaxiq

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
no, they aren't, they completely switch to Bing Maps with creators update, which is fine in the US, but just terrible outside US

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Agreed Maps experience is terrible when compared to AU.
It takes time to render.

Right after search

Qgw6lBV.jpg

A few seconds later

jOfnBpN.jpg

This problem happened only after CU

Sent from mTalk

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
In general I find the new maps better, it looks smoother and more informative.

My one gripe though is that street names don't appear while I scroll through the map.
I'd have to stop scrolling and wait maybe about 2 seconds before street names appear.

Hope this gets fixed

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@Daniel Gilbert M what are you using maps on Daniel? your layout looks like the maps menu layout I have on my tablets, S3 & SP3 having the top section like the top but without the buttons on the bottom like you have. Can you give me an city / address so I can compare what I see with what you see?
@Martin Zone I can't even find 5 northumberland avenue wc2n 5by london haha, when I search what I see in your screen cap, I get one in E12 5 or one in TW7 5 as options.
wp_ss_20170505_0001.jpg
@garisa I updated my 930 to feature 2 ... the maps is a a newer version 5.1705.1162.0 but I don't see much difference in rendering if any (just the different screen size makes it different I think)

What I find interesting is my SP3 is still on 14393.1066 and the maps version 5.1703.762.0 is the same as my 950XL and surface 3 (both on RS2 CU) but you get a different look.
sp3-14393.1066-maps.JPG

Here's what's on my Surface 3... I do prefer the newer one

Screenshot (2).jpg

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
@Daniel Gilbert M what are you using maps on Daniel? your layout looks like the maps menu layout I have on my tablets, S3 & SP3 having the top section like the top but without the buttons on the bottom like you have. Can you give me an city / address so I can compare what I see with what you see?

I am using maps on my 640XL. Just turn down the display scaling close to 100% . It will change appearance/layout of all apps.
It looks really good.
More menu options will appear and layout will change a bit to accommodate more buttons on screen.
The thing about UWP apps is that they can change layout based on screen resolution.
Windows 10 phones display scaling settings on mobile are >150% by default.
That makes the text, buttons really big and ugly.
Scale down as close to 100% as possible and you will see how beautiful Windows 10 Mobile is.

No need to compare with city.
Its the rendering time that has increased.
Open maps and press on the (o) button to zero in on your location.
First it will be blurred and then after a few seconds it will become clear.
It wasn't like that before CU. Everything used to load quickly and clearly.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@Daniel Gilbert M on my 950xl, the lowest is 250% and recommended is 350%. 250% too small and touch elements too but I see now your layout of maps. Never thought to change it as i was comfortable with the default for my 950xl

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I regularly read Windows news sites and don't recall any news items about Windows Maps changing from HERE to Bing. This is especially significant for W10m given the Creators upgrade didn't bring much else to the platform.

In any case, I quite like the new Bing Maps powered Windows Maps.
I always thought it was strange Windows Maps used HERE in the first place - not that I have a problem with HERE Maps, which is a good service.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I regularly read Windows news sites and don't recall any news items about Windows Maps changing from HERE to Bing. This is especially significant for W10m given the Creators upgrade didn't bring much else to the platform.

In any case, I quite like the new Bing Maps powered Windows Maps.
I always thought it was strange Windows Maps used HERE in the first place - not that I have a problem with HERE Maps, which is a good service.

Yes, they haven't even said anything about the new maps bring crippled.

We're not sure that Maps now use Bing Maps instead of HERE Maps though. But that doesn't even matter, what matters is that most of us have problems with these new maps.

But if HERE Maps are better than Bing, which they are, then I prefer to have HERE Maps in Windows Maps. We don't care that l about Bing Maps belonging to Microsoft.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Meanwhile, Here on an iPhone is smooth and stable. The routing can be a bit off the beaten path though, especially in New York, so always end up using Google Maps instead.

On a side point, I still have an old 1020 and 1520 on WP 8.1, with Here installed. I've played with them recently, and they still seem to work.......okay? I haven't tested them on a drive though. Is Here on 8.1 pulling from updated maps data or is that a dead end?

The iPhone doesn't have Windows Maps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo