Windows 10 S Mobile?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys i was giving this some thought about Lumia 950/XL and any of the new phones with chipset SD 808/810/820 with the whole Win 10 on ARM could it be possible that Microsoft could lunch a Windows 10 S on ARM for these devices with being lock only with Windows store while giving full Win 10 S. If any of this I'm try may make one or two think just maybe? Or would this be a no go at all? Thanks for any posts would like some options on it. :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is washing their hands of those phones so there will definitely be no S upgrade or anything.

And honestly, while it could deliver a compelling Continuum experience, there won't be much else as its still store only. While also using more memory, etc.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Those phones can't run full Windows... Needs sd 835 processor or higher

Sent from Idol 4s

Yep. Only the new processors by QUALCOMM have been modified to run the windows on arm, win32 emulation (Which is why it performs okay, rather than runs like a dog, because its not merely a software emulation IMO).

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'll have to disagree with that since the demo device MS showed at WinHEC was running SD 820.

We only saw a few seconds of that. Who knows how much work it was just to get that device to run that well on the Snapdragon 820. I would be extremely hesitant to believe that a Snapdragon 810 could pull off full Windows 10 on ARM or even the 820 in the x3. I think we may just have to wait for the 835. If Microsoft was able to say they pulled it off with even older processors I don't think they would hesitate to get that kind of publicity.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm just wondering how "Windows 10 S Mobile" would be different from Windows 10 Mobile. It's not like we can install .exe right now. Everything is locked to the Windows Store (aside from developer options).

And it has been repeatedly mentioned that Windows 10 S is not Windows 10 on ARM.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Ok o get that though lets say there a Windows 10 on ARM lock to Windows store only I wonder if these chipsets can handle it. Since much has change from demo

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'll have to disagree with that since the demo device MS showed at WinHEC was running SD 820.

They explicately said it was a modified 820.

QUALCOMM worked with MS to allow windows on arm to work with the 635. If it could run on any ol snapdragon they wouldn't have needed QUALCOMM partnership would they?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If it could run on any ol snapdragon they wouldn't have needed QUALCOMM partnership would they?
Yes they would, you think Microsoft is not partnering with Intel? Do you know why? Drivers. That's the same reason why they partnered with Qualcomm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONI0zfEnBPU&feature=youtu.be&t=710

Here you can hear the CEO of Qualcomm explicitly said it was UNMODIFIED if you skip to 11:50.

and BTW - the chip you were talking about is probably the 835 ;)

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
We only saw a few seconds of that. Who knows how much work it was just to get that device to run that well on the Snapdragon 820. I would be extremely hesitant to believe that a Snapdragon 810 could pull off full Windows 10 on ARM or even the 820 in the x3. I think we may just have to wait for the 835. If Microsoft was able to say they pulled it off with even older processors I don't think they would hesitate to get that kind of publicity.

I didn't say anything about 810/808, just that it could clearly run on 820. If it was ready back then on a 820, why would then MS be waiting for release for such long time? Who knows...

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yes they would, you think Microsoft is not partnering with Intel? Do you know why? Drivers. That's the same reason why they partnered with Qualcomm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONI0zfEnBPU&feature=youtu.be&t=710

Here you can hear the CEO of Qualcomm explicitly said it was UNMODIFIED if you skip to 11:50.

and BTW - the chip you were talking about is probably the 835 ;)

That's weird, he says its an 821 doesn't he? But the video shows it's an 820. And he prefaces it with 'I think'.

You're probably right though, it probably is unmodified. Which is interesting. Because software only emulation might have performance issues AND it'll be able to run on existing hardware. It definitely makes me more suspicious of the emulations performance. I was hoping some slight tweak to the hardware was given by QUALCOMM to enhance the emulation.

Thanks for pointing that out

Hopefully QUALCOMM's chips will remain as cheap as they are for the medium term, given the huge legal battle between apple and them. It'll be interesting watching the phone market if either them or apple lose. Especially given intels getting on the arm game with its 10nm process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos