Creators update - lumia 640 no longer recognized by any PC over USB

aparman

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 640 LTE is no longer recognized over USB by any PC.

I rebooted the phone several times.
Tried different cables.
Three different PCs - one on W10 Anniversary, one W10 CU, one W7.

"USB device not recognized
The last device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

Other than shorter battery life everything else seems to work fine in CU.

Any help or ideas?

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Bad usb port/cable most likely, use the stock cable that came with your device. Then turn off your device plug the USB in and your device will reboot and it should be automatically recognised and you'd be good to go. If not, delete the driver specific to your device in the device manager and repeat the process mentioned above Windows will then reconfigure the drivers automatically - This is less likely to happen but why not try to see what works.

Varun Naive

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
V Poor battery ??????. Backup.....terribly frustrating....i just want to know is there any any any way to roll back to 10.0.14393.251. ......
Creator update is just a mess and it really sucks
M on lumia 640DS

aparman

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply matt john2 - but as I said - three different pcs (using different ports) and that includes several different cables - and still nothing.
Trouble is I can't use the Windows Device Recovery Tool since no pc will recognize my phone.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I could try a factory reset, but then what if it didn't help the USB problem - I'd have no way to update the phone to W10 ...

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply matt john2 - but as I said - three different pcs (using different ports) and that includes several different cables - and still nothing.
Trouble is I can't use the Windows Device Recovery Tool since no pc will recognize my phone.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I could try a factory reset, but then what if it didn't help the USB problem - I'd have no way to update the phone to W10 ...

A factory reset won't change the OS, you will remain on the same W10M build. It wouldn't matter anyway, a USB cable connection is only required for downgrading to WP8.1 via WDRT, not upgrading to W10M.

I had the same problem last year with a Lumia 640 XL. I initially thought it was due to upgrading to W10M, but it turns out it was just a coincidence. It was a hardware failure, I had the USB port replaced and it was recognised by PCs again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss