Installing W10M on another device

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Its probably been discussed before so sorry if this is repetitive but . . . what would it take to install W10M on another device, lets say a Galaxy? Remove Android and install W10M. I guess it would take drivers MS would have to produce and if that is all that is needed, why not?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It requires third party drivers written by the OEM. Which if someone like sasmung were to do, they may as well release a windows phone variant instead.

Only device you can currently do this with is the xiaomi mi4 and its buggy.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
It requires third party drivers written by the OEM. Which if someone like sasmung were to do, they may as well release a windows phone variant instead.

Only device you can currently do this with is the xiaomi mi4 and its buggy.

Thinking this through, each update MS puts out might require updates in the ROM and or drivers which wouldn't happen. Too bad.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It's theoretically possible and Microsoft has messed around with it before, but I'm not sure it's ever going to happen. It basically requires Microsoft releasing a ROM.

I'm curious though: how much work would it require of Microsoft if a device's specs were completely identical to another Windows 10 Mobile device?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It's theoretically possible and Microsoft has messed around with it before, but I'm not sure it's ever going to happen. It basically requires Microsoft releasing a ROM.

I'm curious though: how much work would it require of Microsoft if a device's specs were completely identical to another Windows 10 Mobile device?

If it used exactly the same hardware, theoretically none. Even significant overlaps reduces the burden. Hence why TCL released the dtek60, the idol 4s and idol 4s pro on very similar hardware (not identitical). The issue is the drivers. If the drivers are all already written for win10m, its merely a matter of installing.

Specs are less of a concern. Its more about things like the gyros, internal disk, camera and camera optimisation, touch screen driver, sound driver, modem, that sort of thing.

If you've ever bumped around the drivers of a tablet, there's maybe half a dozen, to a dozen key drivers that vary across devices.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
If it used exactly the same hardware, theoretically none. Even significant overlaps reduces the burden. Hence why TCL released the dtek60, the idol 4s and idol 4s pro on very similar hardware (not identitical). The issue is the drivers. If the drivers are all already written for win10m, its merely a matter of installing.

Specs are less of a concern. Its more about things like the gyros, internal disk, camera and camera optimisation, touch screen driver, sound driver, modem, that sort of thing.

If you've ever bumped around the drivers of a tablet, there's maybe half a dozen, to a dozen key drivers that vary across devices.

I figured the drivers for a specific device can only differ so much from other similar devices. They all are trying to accomplish the same thing. That's probably why reference designs are so popular for smaller companies: they're easier to produce drivers for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99