can't initiate chat on whatsapp

Desire Takawira

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I have the most recent WhatsApp on my HP Elite X3. I have noticed something peculiar. I can have my friends start talking to me, or even strangers who get my number, yet I can't initiate any conversations myself. If I select "new chat" and start typing in the number I'm attempting to message I get no other option besides "no results". Is the WhatsApp client on Windows 10 mobile limited or is there something else wrong? Reinstalling app does not help. So far I have 2 possible explanations.
1. I must say I don't have a Facebook account and I know Facebook bought WhatsApp. Could this be a backhanded way of Facebook to block anyone without a Facebook account (maybe new change since the crackdown on "fake news"?
2. Only android or ios can initiate chats. I didn't have any problems when I had an iPhone last year. And I didn't have a Facebook account last year either.

I still don't think that makes any sense but thats the only explanations I can think of.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

There might be sth in the current version of the app that is causing this. However, when trying to initiate a new chat, did you try scrolling down until you find the person? could be that the number you're trying to contact isn't saved?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
re:

I have the most recent WhatsApp on my HP Elite X3. I have noticed something peculiar. I can have my friends start talking to me, or even strangers who get my number, yet I can't initiate any conversations myself. If I select "new chat" and start typing in the number I'm attempting to message I get no other option besides "no results". Is the WhatsApp client on Windows 10 mobile limited or is there something else wrong? Reinstalling app does not help. So far I have 2 possible explanations.
1. I must say I don't have a Facebook account and I know Facebook bought WhatsApp. Could this be a backhanded way of Facebook to block anyone without a Facebook account (maybe new change since the crackdown on "fake news"?
2. Only android or ios can initiate chats. I didn't have any problems when I had an iPhone last year. And I didn't have a Facebook account last year either.

I still don't think that makes any sense but thats the only explanations I can think of.

You can't initiate a chat unless you have the number saved in your phone.

This is how it is for all versions. "Strangers" who are messaging you would save your number.

No WhatsApp client on any platform allows you to start a chat by typing in a number. It has to be initiated via a contact

Desire Takawira

May 21, 2016
Visit site
re:

Thanks ttsoldier and ven07. I think you might be onto something there. Of course now I can't test this theory/fact because I already got the other person to initiate contact, but the next time I have someone to talk to I'll save the number as contact first and see if that works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos