The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-11-2018 01:05 PM
141 1234 ...
tools
    Present windows phone is almost dead in all aspects. Reboot will help only if they it is user friendly.
    nate0, ZantReve and eddieDOTexe like this.
    06-07-2017 10:08 AM
    I'm not sure how they can lose with this strategy of convergence... All that's needed once the lines are blurred between desktop mobile,etc is for the development of UWP apps and services to be handled very aggressively.
    06-07-2017 10:12 AM
    Present windows phone is almost dead in all aspects. Reboot will help only if they it is user friendly.
    The W10 you use now in your home will be on all three form factors PC/Tablet/Mobile with c-shell allowing to adapt to each form factor. So if you use W10 now it will be the same user interface on those form factors.

Still I'm wondering if the new said device/platform could run an off shoot from W10m/W10. The Andromeda concept could just be the new path for mobile in the consumer space and use the best of mobile and PC plus use its own "New Experiences" integrated in, whatever that might be.
    Last edited by Nate W; 06-07-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    06-07-2017 10:17 AM
    Where is the evidence that the UWP apps won't work on this new UI? If anything, everything point to the fact that
    the UWP apps will continue to work as expected.
    06-07-2017 10:23 AM
    It would be nice if the 3 proposed form factors for Windows all had the same apps available. For example many apps exist on the but are not available for mobile. also isn't the difference between tablet and desktop just touch, and therefore shouldn't any tablet based UWP app run on mobile?
    eddieDOTexe likes this.
    06-07-2017 10:26 AM
    This will be another mobile product that is dead on arrival. There are simply no UWP apps in the store. Even on Windows 10 desktop, the app store is pretty empty of big titles. Since a phone cannot run anything else, it will be a disaster.

Also, knowing Panos Panay, he will likely continue his love of proprietary charging and not give us USB-C on any new phone. So that will be a double disaster.

Microsoft has been using the Apple playbook of locking people into buying only Microsoft accessories. There is no way I would support that with my money.
    CraigCole, Sedp23 and techiez like this.
    06-07-2017 10:35 AM
    This will be another mobile product that is dead on arrival. There are simply no UWP apps in the store. Even on Windows 10 desktop, the app store is pretty empty of big titles. Since a phone cannot run anything else, it will be a disaster.

Also, knowing Panos Panay, he will likely continue his love of proprietary charging and not give us USB-C on any new phone. So that will be a double disaster.

Microsoft has been using the Apple playbook of locking people into buying only Microsoft accessories. There is no way I would support that with my money.
    We are entitled to our opinions. But the truth is we won't know what is coming until it's presented to us. The idea of UWP is new so we can't see the fruits of that yet, but the fact of that is that it's growing. Google recently updated their app to UWP. It will take time, that's for sure. USB C/Thunderbolt 3 is the future and is only used in a handful of hw so I'm banking on that personally.
    06-07-2017 10:42 AM
    Unfortunately not, Apps ported to UWP using Centennial will work on mobile as it stands now.
    06-07-2017 10:44 AM
    I am excited about new hardware.

i don't think a reboot is a bad idea if there is a Microsoft push to create/recreate the popular apps. Microsoft needs to do whatever this takes, financial incentives, relationships, cross marketing - whatever.

Apps are the key. It is what has always kept windows back and always will.
    Player Piano likes this.
    06-07-2017 10:52 AM
    Regarding apps...anybody read this?
    https://thenextweb.com/contributors/2017/05/28/2017-beginning-end-app-economy

As Jason said in his recent article about the Surface Laptop, if MS doesn't market the sh*t out of whatever product they put out, it's DOA. Spend the money to sell ice to an Eskimo and get 'er done this time.
    DavidinCT and eddieDOTexe like this.
    06-07-2017 10:59 AM
    Regarding apps...anybody read this?
    https://thenextweb.com/contributors/2017/05/28/2017-beginning-end-app-economy

As Jason said in his recent article about the Surface Laptop, if MS doesn't market the sh*t out of whatever product they put out, it's DOA. Spend the money to sell ice to an Eskimo and get 'er done this time.
    Exactly. They need to take some pointers from the Xbox marketing team...
    06-07-2017 11:04 AM
    Introducing the Surface Pocket (Note/Moleskin/Slate?) with Windows 10 S. A personal portable computer. Oh, it'll also take phone calls.

Whatever they do needs to be a computer first. The moment people think it's supposed to be a cellphone, it fails. This needs to be the thing that makes people think "If I get this, I won't need to carry a laptop/tablet and a cell phone anymore."
    Much like the Surface Pro line made people think "If I get this, I won't need to carry a tablet and my laptop anymore."

Edit: Things like T-Mobile's DIGITS plan and e-sim now begin to blur the lines of what a phone is. If Surface strikes at the right time, people wont care what form factor answers their calls.
    nate0 likes this.
    06-07-2017 11:26 AM
    If MS are looking to reboot WP, they need to hit the ground running and somehow have iOS or Play apps run on the phone with the level that they do on their respective platforms.

Having recently switched to the HTC 10 from the L950, the two things I miss are Cortana and the Home/Start screen. Other than that, I have Ebay, Amazon, various Courier apps and All the banking apps as well as Android Pay and a few other apps not available on WP that are far more convenient than trying to use the corresponding websites on a mobile device. Being able to log into the banking app for instance just by using a fingerprint rather than going through the whole 2 or 3 login pages and have to carry a card reader around with me.

Unless things like this are available from the get-go, there's just never going to be any appeal to anyone outside of the enthusiastic fans. And the only way to get these apps quickly enough is to have some kind of iOS or Android emulation or compatibility.

The best thing a phone can do for me is mean I can carry less around in my pockets. With the HTC 10 I don't need my wallet at all. I can use the phone to pay for things, even have my bus ticket purchased and used with the phone, don't even need to carry a ticket around with me.

I hope that WP does relaunch and have success, but I just have trouble seeing it. No matter which way anyone tries to convince themselves otherwise, there just aren't the apps there for the masses. people don't want workarounds, they want things that work with minimal fuss, without that, it's not attractive to the general public.
    06-07-2017 11:32 AM
    I’d be interested in seeing a new UI. I haven’t had much time playing working Windows Mobile, but it is an interesting UI. However, I also think the UI is one of the reasons it never caught on like Android and iOS. Even Blackberry had an app drawer and icon layout. I don’t know how Windows 10 Mobile is, but the grid layout I played with before just isn’t quite the same. It would be nice to see Microsoft break out in the mobile OS world and get some app coverage from more companies. I would definitely take a good long look at that point.
    06-07-2017 11:40 AM
    I just wish that in spite of the time taken, the windows phone market being left to bleed without a replacement or update as far as hardware market was concerned, and in spite of withdrawal of marketing ( those associated with marketing Lumia phones), I wish that this reboot happens sooner than ever because all the things have given an impression to others that Microsoft is least concerned about their loyal mobile users, yet we hardcore fans have their patience tested since a long time. Soon™ should be kept aside by Microsoft really sooner, and once the mobility is redefined I wish the loyal users are prioritized not just by releasing a new form factor but also by resolving first party app problem.
    Yup, you know being stagnant serves no purpose and a reboot, if prioritized and supported in all manners possible, might help us. Also, I'm really interested in Microsoft stepping up in the game of mobile OS (and also release of exclusive apps, especially photography apps❤).
    nate0 likes this.
    06-07-2017 11:52 AM
    its a good thing, you have to have a mobile OS and hardware in this new modern world, its like a puzzle its never going to be complete until you have all the pieces connected together until then all your efforts and hard work means nothing .
    06-07-2017 12:00 PM
    Folks for Microsoft to have better windows smart phone sales it has to have distinct features such as Continuum, Windows 10 on ARMS and the New Cshell Adaptable UI software. and the developers making more UWP Apps. Windows 10 mobile does not have the Windows on ARMS software or the new "Cshell" Adoptable UI software. so a new Microsoft Mobile OS has to be created to use these software packages. to run these software packages smoothly will require a snapdragon 835 ARMS CPU AN ARMS 820 SNAPDRAGON MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO IT ALSO. that Means NEW HARDWARE FOLKS. the new full powererd Windows smart phones wont be cheap but they will run UWP Apps and x86 Win32 Desktop PC programs in Emulation thus become a smartphones/pocket PC device. not everyone will purchase them but enough people world wide will buy them to make it profitable to make them.
    Last edited by Gregory Newman; 06-07-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: forgot a criticle word
    nate0 likes this.
    06-07-2017 12:00 PM
    I'm pessimistic. I think Microsoft has completely, totally, utterly lost in the mobile space. Nothing can change this course now as the Android-Apple duopoly is cemented. They had momentum with WP7 but IMO squandered a good thing.

Abject disregard for quality doesn't help matters, either. I mean, why does WiFi keep disconnecting on my 950? Why does the screen stay black when trying to end a phone call? Why are so many notifications missed? This is BASIC FUNCTIONALITY that they're unwilling or unable to make right. To go off topic briefly, people holler "hard reset, hard reset, hard reset" on these forums like it's a requirement to make W10M function properly. No user should ever have to do that. This software is rotten to the core and deserves to die. Because of this disaster MS has lost my business. I don't care if a Surface Phone craps gold nuggets, I'm NOT interested.
    ZantReve and Chippy757 like this.
    06-07-2017 12:09 PM
    Not sure that's the key...maybe for us techies...but MS has to think - what will sell W10M to a wider audience that doesn't "need" that stuff, from your local Starbucks barista to Grandpa Joe? What would those folks need with Continuum, ARM, etc. if they don't even touch their desktops at home anymore? MS's next phone has to be category-creating in a way that appeals to the original iPod crowd (if MS really wants that customer base).
    06-07-2017 12:09 PM
    Dont get your hopes up. I love the Windows 10 mobile OS, even as I liked Windows Phone 7+ but, Microsoft NEEDS to get a clue on how to run a business and marketing sometimes. Really clueless if they wanted a CHANCE to succeed in the mobile market.

It's a joke. "We are not going after the consumer market anymore", then, support is dead, no new models, No promition, no new apps or promition for Devs. Only models are that carriers have are older models that are not even supported any more (for the most part). Apps are falling off by the hour, never mind day. Marketshare goes from about 5% down to 0.5 and where is Microsoft ? Hello ?

They just give up and they want to come back ? Sure maybe they can build up some marketshare but, it's going to cost them 2X of the billions they spent before to even HAVE A CHANCE.

Never mind they need to have Anroid apps or iOS apps with a store that can be used directly, so the app gap is not an issue.

I'll tell you this, if Microsoft came up with a new device that supported Android or iOS device (for the app selection) plus their selection of their own (for tiles, and other WM features), I would jump back in a second...

It really seems like Microsoft is just so out of touch with the consumer...
    06-07-2017 12:10 PM
    I agree with you. Microsoft just did something that will help Windows devices to get more Apps. tthey gave
    the data that will allow Developers to PUT Native ADDS in their Apps, Games, ect PC programs that will be in the Windows 10 store that Helps developers to make Money from the Adds. If Apple and Android have Already been doing this then no wonder they got more apps put in their Apps store. the in Apps adds help developers make money. I expect to see Windows devices get more Apps because of this.
    Unkitjc likes this.
    06-07-2017 12:12 PM
    good bye for now
    Unkitjc likes this.
    06-07-2017 12:14 PM
    I'm all for Windows forcing the retirement of silverlight.
    Its old and keeping it around is useless.
    Unkitjc likes this.
    06-07-2017 12:51 PM
    While people are calling the new version a reboot, it feels more like an evolution. WP8.1 to W10M was a reboot, specially because the UI was drastically different. CShell feels more like Windows 10 Mobile was heading there anyways (with the whole one Windows motto). For consumer facing purposes they need to do some serious marketing if and when they launch, explain the OS, UI and benefits to people (kind of like how Nokia used to market when they first went Windows). Where I live, most people have a misconception about Windows Mobile, that it is difficult to use. If I give my phone to an android/apple user they start scratching their heads - for them (and most people) accepting something new or different from convention is very difficult, because everyone around them has an android or apple phone which they can relate to.

There is a lot of education to be done in their marketing, and not just for mobile, but PCs too.

Personally, it used to annoy me that someone who uses a smart phone, who understands the basics of a smart phone (there is a home screen, there are apps, there is an app list, settings, phone, SMS) is unable to "understand" Windows Mobile, like it's not as if Microsoft made an OS that is a radical departure from other OS, but now I've come to accept that people just don't care enough to try and figure things out.

They wants things fed to them, and Microsoft needs to go out there and explain it to them in their marketing efforts.

Reminds me of pre-smart phone days when everyone around me was using Nokia phones and they had a really hard time using my Moto Razr v3i - Nokia's action button used to be on the left, Motorola had it on the right, and the call/decline buttons were reversed too. A person once literally asked me how to make a call on my Razr, which he could not tell by the colour of the buttons for some reason, and I when got a bit annoyed he said he had to confirm because the action buttons were opposite.

So yeah, it's not just about apps, it's not just about a reboot - people need to be taught about Windows 10 PC, Windows Store and then transition into mobile, with things like 'Buy an app once and use on all your devices (UWP)'.
    06-07-2017 12:57 PM
    fake news?
    06-07-2017 01:02 PM
141 1234 ...