Microsoft Reportedly Testing New Phone With New Windows Mobile OS

Extremevl

May 31, 2017
Visit site
You may be wondering what happened to Microsoft's ambitions in the mobile space. The company has been creating a lot of hardware lately, but it's focused on its Surface-branded line of devices running 'full' Windows. A new Windows Mobile handset hasn't been in the rumors for quite some time now.

That changes today, because a new unconfirmed report now claims that Microsoft is testing just such a device. The revelation apparently comes from two different sources inside the company, so it may be accurate. The bad news? The phone is said to be running a "different" branch of Windows Mobile.

This has a UI that is different from what we're used to seeing in Windows 10 Mobile, but it's not set in stone yet because it's still "early days" for the development of this new interface. Yes, you read that correctly. Once again, Microsoft may be looking to "reinvent" the mobile experience, in yet another desperate attempt to set its OS apart from its rivals.

And yes, this could in fact mean a new 'cut' in support for older Windows Mobile apps, which aren't going to work with this new UI. Silverlight apps in particular seem doomed.

Even if all of this is true now, keep in mind that plans change, and they may be altered significantly in the coming months, before that phone that's currently in testing sees the light of day. Speaking of which, it's very unclear when the new handset might become available - it could be as much as a year from now, or "less if it receives good reviews internally and gets fast tracked".

Microsoft is reportedly testing a new phone running a new branch of Windows Mobile - GSMArena.com news

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think every company has its fingers in multiple pies. Google is, at this very moment, actively developing an entirely new operating system that is in no way connected to Android, despite the fact that Android is arguably the most successful mobile operating system of all time. This news doesn't surprise me. Now, if this actually comes to fruition and we see true, consumer-facing versions of this new branch of mobile on new hardware, that would surprise me. We'll just have to see where this goes.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Take this report with a grain of salt. We've been hearing "unconfirmed rumors" about Surface Phone for 4 years now. And you see where that led. Nowhere.

Microsoft got their asses handed to them with the disastrous launch of Windows 10 Mobile on the 950 series, and they're selling Android phones in their store now. Couple this with the fact that the 950 successor was canceled in the prototype stage and Surface Phone never happened, and well, you see where this is going. Microsoft is completely out of the phone hardware game, and after this failed update is done bricking the phones of the remaining few Windows Phone users, I'd imagine that they're probably about done in the mobile OS business as well.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure just about everyone here knows that MS can't sit out the mobile space, so they're going to keep on trying to do something about it. But, I don't think they're in a position to take the attitude of 'no soup for you!' when it comes to phones. This reboot of sorts is the opposite of the message they should be bringing to the market.

One of the problems has been stability of direction. While 'fail fast' is pretty common, it's not something which is really suitable for the consumer space for existing products. This constant attempt by MS to break into mobile, I think has a large contribution to the lack of customer adoption. Each reboot sends a message, and even though so few people use windows mobile now, this will be mentioned by other media.

Just look at the WP8 to W10M transition, that has been a disaster, complete lack of users, and rather than porting or updating apps, many have just been pulled.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure just about everyone here knows that MS can't sit out the mobile space, so they're going to keep on trying to do something about it. But, I don't think they're in a position to take the attitude of 'no soup for you!' when it comes to phones. This reboot of sorts is the opposite of the message they should be bringing to the market.

One of the problems has been stability of direction. While 'fail fast' is pretty common, it's not something which is really suitable for the consumer space for existing products. This constant attempt by MS to break into mobile, I think has a large contribution to the lack of customer adoption. Each reboot sends a message, and even though so few people use windows mobile now, this will be mentioned by other media.

Just look at the WP8 to W10M transition, that has been a disaster, complete lack of users, and rather than porting or updating apps, many have just been pulled.

Ya it is kinda nuts. Maybe they are just too big. Why I think they tried involving so many OEMs over the past serveral years...

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ya it is kinda nuts. Maybe they are just too big. Why I think they tried involving so many OEMs over the past serveral years...
i think its also due to their lack of experience in consumer markets. They still try to market these things are they are selling to enterprises. They don't care abt creating mindshare. They just assume they launch a product and ppl would come to them

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
i think its also due to their lack of experience in consumer markets. They still try to market these things are they are selling to enterprises. They don't care abt creating mindshare. They just assume they launch a product and ppl would come to them

That's true, the consumer tech space is almost entirely about convincing people you are giving them something you aren't. Like Gucci, or nike, or coke. Status, women, power, drive, intelligence, freedom, happiness, whatever - something intangible that isn't anything to do with the product. It's not really about product features. It's about exposure and image. Certainly the surface brand is a good start, but they need to actually advertise it. Even sitting a hot chick on a product works better with consumers than giving them features.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

That only happened because of the lack of respect and support MS showed its users. Had MS truly done right by the Windows Mobile base and released a device running an acceptable daily driver OS on the 950 series we would all have been supporting and welcoming any new move MS since 2015.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
That's true, the consumer tech space is almost entirely about convincing people you are giving them something you aren't. Like Gucci, or nike, or coke. Status, women, power, drive, intelligence, freedom, happiness, whatever - something intangible that isn't anything to do with the product. It's not really about product features. It's about exposure and image. Certainly the surface brand is a good start, but they need to actually advertise it. Even sitting a hot chick on a product works better with consumers than giving them features.

You mentioned surface brand. I would say even better they have holo lens. Seems they are just waiting for likes of apple to copy it n take all the Market share

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
You mentioned surface brand. I would say even better they have holo lens. Seems they are just waiting for likes of apple to copy it n take all the Market share

Well its expensive. But I know from their research page they are working on a smaller form. Glasses sized. Possible to pair with a satellite device. I think at this stage HoloLens is more dev and enterprise oriented.

There's another company working on AR. And apple are too. But the question is really who's going to make one that works best for consumers. Something that could replace phone display most of the time, and work with windows on arm, could be pretty swish. Normal sunglasses size with transition lenses, and possibly prescription or vision correction would be ideal. Obviously you won't fit internals in that. I think aiming for the best graphics with AR might be a mistake - get something useable in the hands of people, then work on the graphics.

Again they might not market version 2.0 well either. But you know your right. Even if they are not selling it directly to consumers, they should advertise it anyway - purely for branding. Their aspirational videos, should all get air play with associating "the future" with Microsoft.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I've been thinking that this whole attitude of chasing consumer markets like they did enterprise is exactly the problem. The era where people are exposed to this stuff first at work is over. Consumers have decided smartphones this time. Where once enterprise issued hardware, BYOD is now quite common, purely because people want to use their own thing.

Furthermore, enteprise is made up of... consumers and those decisions within the enterprise are made up by... consumers. So this is why iphone is as popular as it is. It's basically the mercedes benz of phones; the goto for status and everything.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Furthermore, enteprise is made up of... consumers and those decisions within the enterprise are made up by... consumers. So this is why iphone is as popular as it is. It's basically the mercedes benz of phones; the goto for status and everything.

How did I find myself in a world where a toy-like white thing was, at one point, a status symbol?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If they do it, Microsoft should go big. Blow the socks off everyone. That is, if they want to make an impact. Otherwise it just be another scrap of electronic waste in 12 months...

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
How did I find myself in a world where a toy-like white thing was, at one point, a status symbol?

There are many great examples from history, some I can mention are from european aristocracy, where at various points in time certain things were in fashion; for instance for someone with land, it was a status thing to have a hermit living on your property. Another was the number of trumpeters you could muster for ceremonies. Clothing is another one which has existed forever. And speaking of fashion, that's where the iphone really takes its place; it's a fashionable accessory, much like the ipod was before it. It appeals to the 'designer' crowd, because of its purported industrial design, much like a lot of other apple products, and seemingly how black turtlenecks are kind of a uniform for these people.

It's just a part of human nature, and it matters little that a lot of people 'follow the herd' so to speak, it's just what it is.

This scene from American Psycho is probably one of the best delivered scenes around, kind of exemplifies how people fret over the most inane things, such as a business card...

vmiki

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think there is no other chance than a complete reboot. It would be great if an easy-to-use android app converter (which doesn't need much effort from developers) comes alongside with CShell. (or bring back emulator ;)

Dhans seka

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Full of mess in Microsoft's Mobile OS development path. But still I have a little hope in corner of my mind. Lets support MS until it is done.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Didn't they just launch Windows 10 Mobile... What's the point of sticking around if they will reboot every other year and cut phones

Sent from Idol 4s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077