Microsoft Reportedly Testing New Phone With New Windows Mobile OS

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
its a good thing, you have to have a mobile OS and hardware in this new modern world, its like a puzzle its never going to be complete until you have all the pieces connected together until then all your efforts and hard work means nothing .

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Folks for Microsoft to have better windows smart phone sales it has to have distinct features such as Continuum, Windows 10 on ARMS and the New Cshell Adaptable UI software. and the developers making more UWP Apps. Windows 10 mobile does not have the Windows on ARMS software or the new "Cshell" Adoptable UI software. so a new Microsoft Mobile OS has to be created to use these software packages. to run these software packages smoothly will require a snapdragon 835 ARMS CPU AN ARMS 820 SNAPDRAGON MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO IT ALSO. that Means NEW HARDWARE FOLKS. the new full powererd Windows smart phones wont be cheap but they will run UWP Apps and x86 Win32 Desktop PC programs in Emulation thus become a smartphones/pocket PC device. not everyone will purchase them but enough people world wide will buy them to make it profitable to make them.

Last edited:

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm pessimistic. I think Microsoft has completely, totally, utterly lost in the mobile space. Nothing can change this course now as the Android-Apple duopoly is cemented. They had momentum with WP7 but IMO squandered a good thing.

Abject disregard for quality doesn't help matters, either. I mean, why does WiFi keep disconnecting on my 950? Why does the screen stay black when trying to end a phone call? Why are so many notifications missed? This is BASIC FUNCTIONALITY that they're unwilling or unable to make right. To go off topic briefly, people holler "hard reset, hard reset, hard reset" on these forums like it's a requirement to make W10M function properly. No user should ever have to do that. This software is rotten to the core and deserves to die. Because of this disaster MS has lost my business. I don't care if a Surface Phone craps gold nuggets, I'm NOT interested.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Not sure that's the key...maybe for us techies...but MS has to think - what will sell W10M to a wider audience that doesn't "need" that stuff, from your local Starbucks barista to Grandpa Joe? What would those folks need with Continuum, ARM, etc. if they don't even touch their desktops at home anymore? MS's next phone has to be category-creating in a way that appeals to the original iPod crowd (if MS really wants that customer base).

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Dont get your hopes up. I love the Windows 10 mobile OS, even as I liked Windows Phone 7+ but, Microsoft NEEDS to get a clue on how to run a business and marketing sometimes. Really clueless if they wanted a CHANCE to succeed in the mobile market.

It's a joke. "We are not going after the consumer market anymore", then, support is dead, no new models, No promition, no new apps or promition for Devs. Only models are that carriers have are older models that are not even supported any more (for the most part). Apps are falling off by the hour, never mind day. Marketshare goes from about 5% down to 0.5 and where is Microsoft ? Hello ?

They just give up and they want to come back ? Sure maybe they can build up some marketshare but, it's going to cost them 2X of the billions they spent before to even HAVE A CHANCE.

Never mind they need to have Anroid apps or iOS apps with a store that can be used directly, so the app gap is not an issue.

I'll tell you this, if Microsoft came up with a new device that supported Android or iOS device (for the app selection) plus their selection of their own (for tiles, and other WM features), I would jump back in a second...

It really seems like Microsoft is just so out of touch with the consumer...

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you. Microsoft just did something that will help Windows devices to get more Apps. tthey gave
the data that will allow Developers to PUT Native ADDS in their Apps, Games, ect PC programs that will be in the Windows 10 store that Helps developers to make Money from the Adds. If Apple and Android have Already been doing this then no wonder they got more apps put in their Apps store. the in Apps adds help developers make money. I expect to see Windows devices get more Apps because of this.

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
While people are calling the new version a reboot, it feels more like an evolution. WP8.1 to W10M was a reboot, specially because the UI was drastically different. CShell feels more like Windows 10 Mobile was heading there anyways (with the whole one Windows motto). For consumer facing purposes they need to do some serious marketing if and when they launch, explain the OS, UI and benefits to people (kind of like how Nokia used to market when they first went Windows). Where I live, most people have a misconception about Windows Mobile, that it is difficult to use. If I give my phone to an android/apple user they start scratching their heads - for them (and most people) accepting something new or different from convention is very difficult, because everyone around them has an android or apple phone which they can relate to.

There is a lot of education to be done in their marketing, and not just for mobile, but PCs too.

Personally, it used to annoy me that someone who uses a smart phone, who understands the basics of a smart phone (there is a home screen, there are apps, there is an app list, settings, phone, SMS) is unable to "understand" Windows Mobile, like it's not as if Microsoft made an OS that is a radical departure from other OS, but now I've come to accept that people just don't care enough to try and figure things out.

They wants things fed to them, and Microsoft needs to go out there and explain it to them in their marketing efforts.

Reminds me of pre-smart phone days when everyone around me was using Nokia phones and they had a really hard time using my Moto Razr v3i - Nokia's action button used to be on the left, Motorola had it on the right, and the call/decline buttons were reversed too. A person once literally asked me how to make a call on my Razr, which he could not tell by the colour of the buttons for some reason, and I when got a bit annoyed he said he had to confirm because the action buttons were opposite.

So yeah, it's not just about apps, it's not just about a reboot - people need to be taught about Windows 10 PC, Windows Store and then transition into mobile, with things like 'Buy an app once and use on all your devices (UWP)'.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The other thing missing is any way to use your phone in the car. This was the number 1 reason I left for iPhone. Apple CarPlay is great. Since I drive a lot for work, this is important functionality. Microsoft could and should have supported MirrorLink, but they chose to ignore people who drive cars. Even now, their Groove app on iOS doesn't support CarPlay, while Amazon Music does. That's why I didn't renew my Groove subscription. They simply don't get cars. I suppose it's because no one on campus knows how to drive, they all take the Microsoft shuttles to work. Until they have Continuum in the car, I would never consider buying a Microsoft device. Apple is just light years ahead.

Mark Ahmadea

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm still a bit confused by the CShell, hopefully Dan or Jason can clarify. They're mentioning that it will only run UWP, does that mean that it's just a shape-changing version of Windows 10 S, without the ability to run .exe/x86 programs when connected to a laptop or docked, that is also not upgradeable to Windows 10 Pro? And what happens to the x86 desktop apps that were ported to the store using the desktop bridge but don't resize well for a device with a small screen. How does CShell work with these ported programs?

remmo

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
You may be wondering what happened to Microsoft's ambitions in the mobile space. The company has been creating a lot of hardware lately, but it's focused on its Surface-branded line of devices running 'full' Windows. A new Windows Mobile handset hasn't been in the rumors for quite some time now.

That changes today, because a new unconfirmed report now claims that Microsoft is testing just such a device. The revelation apparently comes from two different sources inside the company, so it may be accurate. The bad news? The phone is said to be running a "different" branch of Windows Mobile.

This has a UI that is different from what we're used to seeing in Windows 10 Mobile, but it's not set in stone yet because it's still "early days" for the development of this new interface. Yes, you read that correctly. Once again, Microsoft may be looking to "reinvent" the mobile experience, in yet another desperate attempt to set its OS apart from its rivals.

And yes, this could in fact mean a new 'cut' in support for older Windows Mobile apps, which aren't going to work with this new UI. Silverlight apps in particular seem doomed.

Even if all of this is true now, keep in mind that plans change, and they may be altered significantly in the coming months, before that phone that's currently in testing sees the light of day. Speaking of which, it's very unclear when the new handset might become available - it could be as much as a year from now, or "less if it receives good reviews internally and gets fast tracked".

Microsoft is reportedly testing a new phone running a new branch of Windows Mobile - GSMArena.com news

Reboot to what?
Another iteration of Windows?

Since the introduction of the iOS, the rise of Android and the fall of Windows Mobile/Phone, the message is clear: nobody wants Windows on a mobile device.
If MS is planning to reboot its mobile OS platform, it should go to something non-Windows related.
And when I say "non-Windows", I mean MS should not use the NT kernel at all.
But if there's no choice, then at least don't call it Windows, and not make it look like Windows, otherwise, it will fail miserably again and again and again.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't care if they reboot, punt pass or re-invent the game. Just as long as they do something before I have to change platforms for my wife and I.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Ismail Mohd

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
The reboot is not a bad option. However, Microsoft needs to make high-end phones which could compete with iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and Pixel. Windows Store requires some more enhancements with more apps. A section with only Microsoft apps needs to be added to the store.

eddlang

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
As long as they don't reboot the app platform, they would most probably be ok. Keep UWP and simply improve it.

The problem with past reboots was coming up with new app platforms every time, which were not directly and fully compatible with the old ones:

WP7 -> WP8 -> WP8.1/W8 universal (WinRT) -> UWP

Developers hate repeating things, even if they don't have to redo the whole code. This is one of the reasons that iOS and android succeeded with apps. Their app platforms were never rebooted, IINM.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, they have put themselves in a position where they have to do a reboot. And those of us who have been with WPs for a while are all too familiar with what's going on. Without high quality, big name apps and a massive influx of developers, a reboot will most likely lead to nowhere. I work with young people every day for a living, and from my experience, I can tell you that apps are where it's at. Whenever we go to our computer lab to work on actual PCs, the math or reading programs that we use are designed and function just like apps because that's what young people are used to seeing. All of our "teacher tools" that we sit through hours of professional development learning about are all app-based and are only found on iOS and Android. The app mindset is real, and if MS doesn't solve that problem, nothing will change. Now, all of the above is from the standpoint of everyday consumers, which, regardless of what has been said, I think should be a target demographic for MS.

jazman_777

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft's failure at marketing is part of its DNA. It's not just a matter of Microsoft "getting it together" or "figuring it out", it can't any more than a pig can fly.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Didn't they just launch Windows 10 Mobile... What's the point of sticking around if they will reboot every other year and cut phone

Exactly
They are continually shooting themselves in the foot by doing all these reboots.

Now thinking about buying an iPaq and loading it on my NT 4 Workstation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6