The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-08-2017 08:49 AM
91 1234
tools
    It's safe to say that this is probably the final nail in the coffin for Windows Phones. For the few remaining users left, I'd imagine that most of them are going to switch to iOS or Android and set up a new phone instead of setting up their substandard Windows phones all over again with the WDRT.
    xandros9 and TgeekB like this.
    06-01-2017 09:16 PM

And I just got this lol
    nate0, anthonyng, xandros9 and 1 others like this.
    06-01-2017 09:24 PM
    sure is, since it looks like i am getting offered an xbox update as well, I'll be keeping my wifi off for the night.
    06-01-2017 09:33 PM
    I have been able to stop the download on my Nokia 640xl.

Is there any way to delete the partially downloaded file?
    06-01-2017 10:24 PM
    If all Windows phones that install this fail to boot with soft bricking, then some here may be right and someone single handedly killed more than half the Windows 10 mobile users out there (figuratively speaking of course). If you have a 950 or 950XL and it is soft bricked, WDRT has emergency files that can recover those. The 650 I have never found emergency files for it.
    06-01-2017 10:27 PM
    I just initiated an update check and the same is downloading on my 950 XL. We'll see what it is.
    If you haven't, don't. That was an accidental release.

https://twitter.com/donasarkar/statu...98131141201920

Brings up an interesting issue: Automatic updates may not be intentional.

Sent from mTalk
    06-01-2017 10:29 PM
    The question here is: How do we shake these updates off when the phone tells you a restart is needed? I pushed the restart one week from now but I can't be doing that forever, aint I?
    06-01-2017 11:29 PM
    Mine was in the endless reboot too and I lost my USB-C cable. I don't why I left myself on the fast ring when I was just hoping to nurse my 950 XL along until the iPhone 8 is released. I guess I'll have to decide on a USB-C cable or iPhone 7
    06-01-2017 11:38 PM
    The question here is: How do we shake these updates off when the phone tells you a restart is needed? I pushed the restart one week from now but I can't be doing that forever, aint I?
    While booted in the OS connect to WDRT and reset the phone from there. Only choice you really have. If WDRT can reset it then you just update back to where you need to be. The problem then is when does Microsoft feel the bonker OTA updates are fixed. That is the good part about the Lumias using the Lumia boot manager and flashapp to flash the phone.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-01-2017 11:51 PM
    HELP!!!!!Both my Alcatel 4s are now bricked after this update installed with no way to restore. WDRT does not recognize either phone so it will not flash to restore, This is regular update as I have not activatet Windows I sider of either phone???? I just got these two phone a couple of weeks ago !What now Microsoft???
    06-02-2017 01:33 AM
    HELP!!!!!Both my Alcatel 4s are now bricked after this update installed with no way to restore. WDRT does not recognize either phone so it will not flash to restore, This is regular update as I have not activatet Windows I sider of either phone???? I just got these two phone a couple of weeks ago !What now Microsoft???
    If they were the factory unlocked models, then you are up a creek...
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-02-2017 01:36 AM
    We all took that risk when we joined the Insider Program. We all clicked "I Accept." Even the Release Preview ring has its risks. That's why I believe Microsoft should've done a slightly better job making sure only the tech savvy are considering the Insider Program. I'm just glad I didn't just install it because I assumed "oh it's just a Release Preview thing it should be safe." I'm also glad I'm familiar with how Windows Update works and was able to pause the update on all three of my devices (at least, the three that are actually turned on) immediately after discovering the nature of this update. Hopefully, Microsoft should shut this thing down within 24 hours and be working on repairs immediately after that.
    I hear what you're saying - much of it is true - however, Release Preview insiders should not be getting 16212.1000. Moreover, the 'iot' in the middle implies this is for 'internet of things' rather than mobiles; though I'm just speculating, there. Either way, and notwithstanding all the caveats associated with being an insider, I really don't think it's fair to say one should have been prepared for such an unmitigated disaster. Bad and faulty operating systems, yes; but entirely the wrong updates for a device, and/or an OS that bricks any and every phone it touches... seriously?
    mtf1380, xandros9 and Jackalito like this.
    06-02-2017 01:44 AM
    HELP!!!!!Both my Alcatel 4s are now bricked after this update installed with no way to restore. WDRT does not recognize either phone so it will not flash to restore, This is regular update as I have not activated Windows In sider of either phone???? I just got these two phone a couple of weeks ago !What now Microsoft???
    06-02-2017 01:46 AM
    HELP!!!!!Both my Alcatel 4s are now bricked after this update installed with no way to restore. WDRT does not recognize either phone so it will not flash to restore, This is regular update as I have not activated Windows In sider of either phone???? I just got these two phone a couple of weeks ago !What now Microsoft???
    Can you at least get to the lightning bolt screen?
    06-02-2017 01:48 AM
    Can you at least get to the lightning bolt screen?
    The issue on the IDOL4s if you own the open market model is that the FFU (Flash ROM) for the open market model has been broken since it got published. Nobody can flash it to their open market IDOL4s. Long story but you can find more info on it in the IDOL4s forums.

If you cannot get to the lightning bolt screen and it is a T-Mobile model, just call Alcatel tomorrow (Alcatel SUPPORT #: 855-368-0829) and open a ticket. If you have the Open market model you should just call Alcatel Support since there is no use trying to flash those models it seems with the FFU that won't work.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-02-2017 01:58 AM
    I can get too the lightning bolts screen but it will not flash!!
    06-02-2017 02:04 AM
    It didn't recognise my Lumia 950, but clicking "Device not recognised?" enabled me to select 'Lumia 950', and it worked fine, from there. Perhaps, that's just a Lumia thing. However, some people have succeeded in recovering, by simply clicking retry, over and over again. It seems, because of the frequent restarts, there is a small window for the recognition process to catch. Also, someone said this occurred throughout the process of re-flashing, but it still worked, eventually.
    06-02-2017 02:08 AM
    It seems 'Nate W' might have better information.
    06-02-2017 02:14 AM
    Wow, feel lucky it never reached my 950xl, hope my Mom 640 is ok!
    06-02-2017 02:20 AM
    I downloaded the WDRT software for Alcatel to my PC but can't get the phones to flash, no retry option either Phones are on lightning bolt (Flash) mode but will not flash no matter how long I wait, just keep on restating when usb cable is plugged into PC. Is Microsoft doing anything ? Anybody? I'm without phones no and feel this should be an important enough problem for them to publish an emergency patch!
    06-02-2017 02:36 AM
    Latest news I've got:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...D5ocSdYogBe.97
    Last edited by zocster; 06-02-2017 at 05:13 AM.
    nate0 and Jackalito like this.
    06-02-2017 03:08 AM
    Fun stuff. Woke up this morning to the phone rebooting every 30 seconds or so and no way to get it to stop. WDRT is reloading it at the moment. (Alcatel 1 Touch XL)
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-02-2017 04:45 AM
    The key is to ensure the os is downloaded first then plug phone in . The loader will eventually pick it up

Sent from mTalk on 950XL
    cbmago likes this.
    06-02-2017 05:15 AM
    My phone has downloaded the files for the update, but hasn't updated phone.
    While files were downloading I read the problem on here stopped it. Set insider to pause.
    But then my phone still wanted to finish download and wouldn't stop.
    I downloaded WDRT as recommended in preparation to use, but it seems my pause won't let the corrupt update files to install.
    My question is with the files on my phone - when MS fixes this issue will it overwrite or delete the bad files and install fix without issue, or am I sunk and will need to reset using WDRT before any other updates can be installed and work ?
    06-02-2017 07:07 AM
    @Snoke, please go the link provided by @Antchexec : https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...D5ocSdYogBe.97. Be sure to do a back up "NOW" so you are as protected as possible. I too have my 950XL on pause for a week, so the update doesn't finish the update, and will give it that week to see if MSFT will come up with a Delete & Replace option.
    06-02-2017 07:35 AM
91 1234