New to eco system, need music advice

Doug_M

May 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi, so I'm new to Windows Mobile. I've got a 920 running win10m and have a 950 coming in the mail. We have a family Apple Music account which does me no good on this platform. Might switch to Spotify down the road. But in the meantime what I'd like to be able to do is rip some CD's on a computer and play them on my phone. Preferably I'd like a program on the computer that syncs with a program on the phone so I don't have to plug the phone in by USB cable.

The computers I have access to are a Mac running the latest OS and a PC running Win7. The PC is not a good candidate for an OS upgrade.

I know I could do something like use whatever program to rip the CD's and then manually copy the files to OneDrive. Then Groove Music has access to them?

Is there a Windows music app I should use that will use OneDrive already? Is Groove Music the best choice on the phone for this?

I have two hard drives in my Mac and could easily dual boot it with Win10. Is that necessary or will Win 7 suffice?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if you have looked at Groove yet.
Groove shows an album, artist and song list sort. One of the filters is 'on the device' or 'on OneDrive'. Leave it on OneDrive and you will always see what you want.
If you don't have it already you can install stand alone OneDrive on the Win7 device to manage music.
The phone has OneDrive. You can add a second account to your OneDrive for another phone to see the music files.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if you have looked at Groove yet.
Groove shows an album, artist and song list sort. One of the filters is 'on the device' or 'on OneDrive'. Leave it on OneDrive and you will always see what you want.
If you don't have it already you can install stand alone OneDrive on the Win7 device to manage music.
The phone has OneDrive. You can add a second account to your OneDrive for another phone to see the music files.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yeah groove can stream straight from one drive.

As an aside windows 10, tends to run faster than 7. My computer running 10, is a many many years old dell. Of course sometimes old drivers won't work, like weird sound cards etc, but usb sound cards can be had cheap as chips from aliexpress.

Doug_M

May 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. What I've done since posting is to install Win 10 on my Mac (I'm not an OS snob) and then use Win Media Player to rip my CD's in WMA lossless to OneDrive. If I read It right MS gives you storage for up to 50,000 songs for free. Those show up nicely on my phone with Groove Music which also allows for streaming or downloading of the ripped songs. So far so good!

It had just been so long since I'd regularly used Windows (other than for work) that I had no clue if this "Groove Music" thing was a good product or considered garbage. The last time I was a "consumer" Windows user WinAMP was king (because it kicks the llamas a$$).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster