Full System Files Access On W10M via PC/USB

Martin Rheinheimer

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
First, a little introduction...

I updated my lumia 830 to Windows 10 this week. I was postponing this because of the camera/lumia camera thing, where the new app ruins the pictures after "finishing touches".

Well, the system itself its quite good and also the new apps. But de Windows camera app indeed ruins the pictures, way worse than the lumia camera on WP8.1 did, so I went on a little adventure in order to remove this.

Based on a simple xda post I activated sideloading apps and installed the interop tools for registry editing and sucesfully managed to remove de post processing in the Windows camera app. (sidenote: Its also possible to change the default camera app but the native one is usually faster).

Ok so, i took some pictures and stuff and decide to connect my phone to my pc via USB for faster copying and better seeing them, BUT:

Instead of the typical documents/pictures/downloads/ringtones/etc folders I've Always had in WP8.1 this time somehow I've got full access to all system files just like I would in C:\ on PC.

Among all these folders I was unable to find those simple folders I wanted.

After several file searching tryouts, removing and reinstalling the drivers for the phone I managed to find them at Windows Phone > Phone > Data > Users > Public > ...

Looking on internet I haven't found even a single post about this. Is this normal?
DO you guys have this kind of access too? Or do you have the regular folders when connected via USB/mass storage?system files.JPG

Any ideias?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the XDA tools changed the mount to access the primary OS file system instead of the data partition. It's probably an option in the Interop tools somewhere. Look around in there or ask in XDA.

Martin Rheinheimer

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
No need to ask in XDA. MTP access was just modified. By default, MTP access is C:\Data\Users\Public. You must just remodify it from registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MTP]
"DataStore"="C:\Data\Users\Public"

Thanks! I hadn't even changed that option in the interop tool yet when this was happening.

After that i actually did activated some "MTP at c:" Option while trying to deploy continuum in the 830 (sidenote2: It works).

So I'll try to change it in the app first and if it doesn't work I'll change the registry as you informed. Can't see why it would work. So, thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos