Live Tiles updating issues

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Has anybody else experienced problems with live tiles on Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with Creators Update? On my Lumia 950 XL the live tiles update erratically. Two weeks ago I had to reset my phone (reinstall the OS) because News, Facebook, myTube, Weather, Messenger, Windows Central app live tiles stopped updating. I was either looking at the same image displayed on News live tile, or at the same counter with no background image displayed in Messenger app. Or, for Windows Central app the live tile displayed only a counter but no background image. To give Windows Central app credit the counter was correctly updated. It was the only app that updated the counter. The Facebook app no longer displayed the background picture just a counter that remained unchanged. The Weather app was not updating at all. It has remained stuck on the location where I was a week before. And neither the current date was not updated in the Weather app.

Therefore I decided it is time for a phone reset. I did it, and for almost two weeks everything worked just fine. Yesterday, the same strange behavior started to manifest again. I haven't installed any new applications. I haven't changed my Home screen layout. Yesterday I have updated all my installed apps to the latest version. At least the Store app says that everything on my Lumia 950 XL is up to date.

I would hate to be forced to do another reset after only three weeks.

Can anybody help me, give me a suggestion?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

Has anybody else experienced problems with live tiles on Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with Creators Update? On my Lumia 950 XL the live tiles update erratically. Two weeks ago I had to reset my phone (reinstall the OS) because News, Facebook, myTube, Weather, Messenger, Windows Central app live tiles stopped updating. I was either looking at the same image displayed on News live tile, or at the same counter with no background image displayed in Messenger app. Or, for Windows Central app the live tile displayed only a counter but no background image. To give Windows Central app credit the counter was correctly updated. It was the only app that updated the counter. The Facebook app no longer displayed the background picture just a counter that remained unchanged. The Weather app was not updating at all. It has remained stuck on the location where I was a week before. And neither the current date was not updated in the Weather app.

Therefore I decided it is time for a phone reset. I did it, and for almost two weeks everything worked just fine. Yesterday, the same strange behavior started to manifest again. I haven't installed any new applications. I haven't changed my Home screen layout. Yesterday I have updated all my installed apps to the latest version. At least the Store app says that everything on my Lumia 950 XL is up to date.

Thank you.

Is it all tiles or just some?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

Thank you.

You could always try resetting with a clean slate; If you already did that then I can't help you

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it all tiles or just some?

Only the tiles from the following applications: Facebook, Messenger, myTube, Windows Central, Weather, The tile for Outlook's linked inbox for example does not have this issue.

Microsoft News live tile was not working this morning (it was displaying the picture from the yesterday news about the Syrian airplane that was shot down by US Aviation). But now, I have checked my phone one more time and Microsoft News started to work again. I didn't do anything special to my phone this day. I was busy at work and I hadn't had time to check my phone. Very weird...

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Only the tiles from the following applications: Facebook, Messenger, myTube, Windows Central, Weather, The tile for Outlook's linked inbox for example does not have this issue.

Microsoft News live tile was not working this morning (it was displaying the picture from the yesterday news about the Syrian airplane that was shot down by US Aviation). But now, I have checked my phone one more time and Microsoft News started to work again. I didn't do anything special to my phone this day. I was busy at work and I hadn't had time to check my phone. Very weird...

When you reset your phone they ask you if you want to resume to a previous state or start fresh (clean slate). It's an option you get once the reset process is done and you're doing the basic setups :/

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I just repin my tiles... Works 80% of the time

Tried it, no success. If I connect to Wi-Fi and I open Microsoft News App its live tile starts to display the images from the latest news. But it won't update automatically. It will get stuck on the same news until I reopen the application when I'm connected to Wi-Fi.

For Microsoft Weather app something similar is true. If I connect to Wi-Fi and I open the app the live tile will be updated, but it will keep displaying the information retrieved now until I connect again to Wi-Fi and I reopen the app.

Thank you all for trying to help me. I will try today to completely uninstall those apps and then reinstall them. Maybe this will help... :unhappy:

Mohd Fadil A

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Facebook live tile always have a problem. Generally doesn't function right. Even myTube, for two weeks it works well, after that uninstall and install again. Windows Central too same thing, it will stop in between, two ways to make it function right it reinstall it or open and close the app with on and off live tile option. Weather usually also works like that even News. For me to above mentioned apps live tile doesn't function well for prolonged period. I am using 640 xl.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Three days ago I decided to reinstall the operating system using Windows Device Recovery Tool. So far, so good. The live tiles work. I'll keep monitoring them.

tekcent28

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
The big bang theory to fixing what is specific to 2-3 apps (MSN News, MSN Sports, and MSN Money) is not an acceptable solution. I mean, after reinstalling the OS will cause me to figure out how reconfigure other things that the reinstall set back to its default. Hours of wasted time. I can't find a W10 forum that MS is probably monitoring that acknowledger's or provides a solution. Bummer.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I might have found out the settings that were prohibiting Facebook live tile from updating. After I have reinstalled the OS on my smartphone I forgot to set "restrict background data when I'm near my limit" and "restrict background data when roaming" and the live tiles were working perfectly.

This morning I configured my phone to restrict the background data when I'm near my limit and to restrict background data when I'm roaming. After that the Facebook live tile stopped updating completely. This is very strange because I'm in no way near my limit. As my phone says I still have 6 GB of data trafic available until July 14th, and I'm not roaming right now (I do not live near the border).

After I removed the restriction to limit background data when I'm near my limit (I have 8 GB monthly and usually I consume 3-4 GB) but I kept the restriction of background trafic when I'm roaming the Facebook live tile started to display the unread notifications counter. But only that. The live tile's background image wasn't updated. After I have removed also the restriction regarding to roaming the live tile started to work normally.

However I still think there is a bug somewhere because while I'm in Bucharest (home town) I'm not roaming (the roaming indicator is not displayed) and 2 GB is just a quarter of 8 GB so nobody could say that I'm near my limit.

I wrote all these in hope that they will be useful to somebody else.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I think its a bug with the notification system.

I've noticed my own app which has notifications every 15 minutes go hours without an update and then suddenly it will spit out dozens of updates including old ones that should have come through hours ago.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately for me, today, the same apps returned to their strange erratic behavior. Microsoft News live tile is stuck to its red solid background. Facebook with its blue solid background only that Facebook displays the unread notification counter. Windows Central app displays its default background with the white Windows Central logo on a black background and it also displays an unread notifications counter which no matter how many times I open the app and scroll in it remains unchanged.

I'm not going to reinstall the OS one more time. It hasn't been a month since the last reinstall.

And the strange part is that I didn't install any new apps, I didn't changed my settings.:eck:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett