What if there won't be any windows mobile devices?

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Unless the apocalypse comes. Or the great depression 2. Or world war 3. Then, yeah sure.

Off topic, but to be fair, it isn't that far fetched: according to many sources, and Andrew Sorkin's great book (and HBO film adaptation) Too Big To Fail, we very nearly were at Great Depression 2 in 2008. Governments and banking execs all concur that they 'looked over the edge into the brink' at that period.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
What if there are no more Windows Mobile Phones? It'll be the biggest mistake Microsoft has ever made.

I hope we start to see movement on the Windows phone front in the next two months. The longer Microsoft remains quiet on this issue, the greater the odds Windows 10 Mobile is the end of the line.

My gut is saying that Microsoft will shift efforts entirely towards providing Microsoft products to iOS and Android, dropping Windows 10 Mobile development completely.

My hope is that Microsoft will dial things back, concentrate on the software and partner with a major manufacturer to concentrate on the hardware. Wishful thinking is that we see something new by the end of August.

My 950XL is getting a little worn out and while I'd like to pick up an HP x3, it's hard to pull that trigger thinking the HP will not a very long life expectancy.

Ibodnano

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft should pay developers to bring top 20 essential apps(global and local, bank apps, weather, transit, tv/radio, WhatsApp, snapchat, etc) to their Universal platform.

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
It's critical to distinguish between "Windows Mobile" and "mobile Windows." With the creation of Windows 10 on ARM I no longer care if "Windows Mobile" OS goes away because that OS no longer serves any purpose. However mobile Windows 10 devices like HoloLens and the "Surface Note" concept are critical to the relevance of Windows as a platform. If Windows is only to be used for laptops and enterprise computers (I don't believe this is the plan) then I would like to switch over to Android completely and remove all Microsoft software and services from all of my devices. My buy-in to the Windows ecosystem is contingent on mobile usability with things like HoloLens and Continuum 2.0. If Microsoft isn't serious about using Windows on mobile devices then I would prefer to abandon all of their software completely. Honestly Windows will not have any long term relevancy without a major presence in mobile computing.<br>

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm going on the basis that until I see more devices then it already has reached the end of the road and I'll just enjoy my 950xl as long as possible or until they pull any of my essential apps. Anything else is a bonus and I won't feel as let down otherwise.
The 2nd thing for me is a huge reason I've loved Windows phones is because of the Lumia range and that's stopped now anyway so unless the next gen devices, if and when they come have top drawer camera's, Always On Display (Glance) and double tap to wake then I'm not sure I'll be all that attracted to them anyway much like the way I feel about the Idol 4s and the Elite x3 just now.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
What if....
What if we're going about this all wrong? We, the "Windows Phone Community", keep thinking in terms of "The Market". As far as I can see "The Market" has two players, Windows isn't one of them.

Let's look at the Surface lineup for a minute. Laptop, Pro, Studio and Book. What's missing? A Mobile device? Something to fit in your pocket? The "Pocket PC"?

"What if" this Surface Mobile device isn't an entry for the Smartphone Market, instead just another Surface. Another tool to be used with Windows 10.

Hiswona

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Then we all march and gather outside Microsoft offices across the globe and demand for Nutella to come out and address us.
We don't let him back in until he commits to a new phone.

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I would love to hear someone who actually believes Microsoft is done with mobile devices explain why CShell, Continuum, and Windows 10 on ARM are being developed. I can't understand how anyone can believe Microsoft is done when so much work is going into making Windows scale down to mobile devices. It's clear that the Lumia brand was killed off to consolidate Microsoft around Surface brand marketing. I believe the company is probably hard at work on a hybrid device that bridges the gaps in a similar way to the Surface tablet. The CEO has even publically said Microsoft is working on the "ultimate mobile device." The hardware and software have to come together for something revolutionary to come to market.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm in a rather unique position. I love all platforms. I currently have a Lumia 950 that I use sorta as a PC. It's connected to a continuum dock with a monitor and keyboard and mouse. I also have a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo and 55 inch TV at home I can use with it. I can always use that regardless of MS's support, at least until it breaks down, etc. Otherwise I have Apples and Androids to play with, and I generally get a new phone every 2 to 3 months. Right now a One Plus 5 is days away and I JUST got done playing with a BlackBerry KEYone. (passed on to Dad)

horbeme

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
for me im not sure what to believe if MS brings out another phone or MS mobile is dead. at this point seeing is believing, what would like to imagine is that at least MS will try one more time adding to the surface brand. i am currently using a S7 and i must say i like the phone but miss my MS phone. the only problem i see for most ppl if MS were to come out with a Surface phone would be the price. ppl always want MS products to be cheap regardless how feature packed and when they brings things first to the market. you can satisfy everyone, if MS can truly give it another shot then i will drop the S7 in a heartbeat. i will not hold my breath, dream or pray for another Windows phone, as of now seeing is believing.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps this little story is pretty telling. My friend is a Windows Mobile diehard. He owned 2 Lumia 822s before upgrading to the 928. WELL his 928 got fried recently and all Verizon had to offer him for Windows phone was a 3 year old Lumia 735! He balked at that and went Android.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
This may come off as angry or bitter, but please know that I like my 950, and I hope to be using it for a while, but MS inspires no confidence in me with whatever plan the have for mobile.
Again. Think long term. Will we still be using the same form factor in five years or ten years? I'm guessing not.

We are still using the Desktop PC form factor from 40 years ago, the laptop form factor from 30 years ago, the handheld form factor from 25 years ago...
People still buy separate music players (even young people), buy the upgrade for the in car navigation, even though phones could handle both of those easily.

I guess my issue is with this idea that a new 'phone like device' will replace the smartphone. Nothing will replace a smartphone other than another smartphone. *Some* people might use the new device exclusively, but not many.

Originally Posted by Drael646464 

*Os code shows new device SKU for "Andromeda"
*MS promises to bring new keyboard to whole OS, mobile included
*MS promises to bring "enterprise features" to w10m late US summer
*MS _demo's_ and promises to bring files on demand to win10m
*MS promises to bring timeline to win10m
*HP works with MSFT closely, and teases "probably the new x3"
*Wharton brooks told "don't release your new phone, we won't support it for rs3, because we are making some changes to mobile, but they can't say any more, hush hush"
*UWP, entire future of the windows platform -win10m, UWP powered OS
*CEO says "we will make more phones, they just won't look like smartphones today"
*COO of surface division "we will make more phones, they just won't look like smartphones today".
*Cshell seen in proto, runs on x3

This is mostly promises. Actual commitment is lacking.
*HP announced the x3 16 months ago. Any kind of update or variants should have been announced by now. They had a phone at one of the shows that wasn't an x3 but was close 4 months ago, and nothing has come from it yet. The only thing that keeps this alive is that focusing on enterprise means a 2 year release cycle, since the latest & greatest every year thing is a consumer draw.
*Delaying the Wharton Brooks phone killed it even more than if they had released it on time. The market for W10M devices was crashing, and no-one was left to help with the last hurrah as the market went to basically zero.
*I'm still waiting for MS to put up or shut up with regard to porting programs to W10M from regular windows. Haven't seen Edge with extensions in W10M yet, but it has been on the desktop for 2 or 3 years now. App developers won't be interested when even MS won't support the platform with their own software.
*Continuum is cool but since web browsing on it is poor, I've gone back to using a desktop when I need to use a keyboard/mouse. Extensions in the web browser blocking out scripts/adds/trackers make my 6 year old laptop better for web browsing than my 1 year old phone...
*MS designed mobile to run on virtually the same hardware as Android; look at the Idol 4s. yet no other manufacturer is willing to take the risk with phones they already released!!! Samsung & google have the lions share of the android market; any other manufacturer could port W10M to any of their devices to see if there is any demand. virtually no extra hardware support, with limited software support needed. Yet no-one else is out there seeing if there is a market. Heck, they could set it up so that an android model gets flashed to W10M only when an order is placed, and only then put in W10M specific packaging. No unsold stock of phones, virtually no investment.

The irony to all this is that I'm looking at a Surface Pro or Book as my next laptop. :D At least MS supports those product though. I'd be shocked if they stopped those product lines...

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree a ton with this. I think the Surface lineup ends up short when comparing to Apple simply because they do not have a pair of premium hardware phones (and perhaps an older chipset pair to appeal to more budget minded) that lines up with the Apple product stream. But there is really no sign this is something they want to go into. The apps are a key factor too. I can walk into any Apple store with a 4 year old device and get help or repair. It may not be instant repair if the device is old enough but it's there. MS can do this with Surface Pro's and books and the new laptop. But phones... That is a missing thing. Is it the end of phones and therefore a good go forward strategy? Perhaps but the death of PC's was claimed for the last 5-7 years and it's not true yet. PC's changed and did not die. Would not phones also change? The device may well alter form, but I don't agree that that is death rather transformation.

Anyway they needs build and support that stands up to the iPhone model (5 years of updates not 24-36 months which is a Google idiocy at the prices of these things). They need apps - and that means they have to stick with it and that means even if losing money for a while. They need marketing.

Can these things be done? It really doesn't feel like it will be done. We'll see. But for me, wholly sad as it is, I need to go iPhone and keep Win devices as secondary if they come. It may well be the 835 got delayed enough that we just haven't seen products yet and Surface is always super secret before release. I'm ok with that. If such a device comes I can take the loss on a traded in iPhone. I would easily come back to the platform. But after many years and being abandoned as a VZ customer (which I need to be), I need MS to bring the product to me. Bring me that support level, that app level, that build quality and you have me. But if not, the world continues on and we have to get stuff done, day to day. I have to use a tool that works right now, and change if something changes going forward.

Well I used to think the same way but the leaked CShell build gave me hope. I am still not 100% sure about what I am going to do but I hope I will be able to hold on to my 950 until October 2018.

Microsoft has good reasons to not release a new mobile device, but if they learnt from their mistakes form the past they should know exactly what they did wrong (cough cough marketing cough cough), then I think they could achieve great things, especially if they manage to convert all centennial apps to full UWP apps. To be honest, we all know it always has been and still is about apps. If they don't approach developers properly and make a great device that is going to present the power of Windows 10 and UWP to the consumers and market it all correctly, they should be good to go.

Apple innovations are at all time low, yet their sales are at all time high and that's all because of the build quality of their devices and their marketing department. MS learnt how to market Surface properly, hope they do the same with mobile devices.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think no matter what you believe, reality is its going to be a while until they turn things around on the mobile front. Patience is a virtue.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
CShell must have at least one real world implementation. It would be absurd to assume that Microsoft has invested money and effort into something that will go straight to the trash bin. It might be that CShell will run only on tablets and maybe the Surface Phone will never come to life. There is no point in wailing now about a possible dark future. Even if there will never be a ultra mobile device that will run Windows 10 OS, the world will continue to spin. The Sun will continue to rise and set every day.
Microsoft is mainly a software company. Now they are focused on providing cloud services and AI services. And their services are already present on Android and IOS. I like using Cortana, Word and Excel. If I'll have to I'll use these services on Android.

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
*Os code shows new device SKU for "Andromeda"
*MS promises to bring new keyboard to whole OS, mobile included
*MS promises to bring "enterprise features" to w10m late US summer
*MS _demo's_ and promises to bring files on demand to win10m
*MS promises to bring timeline to win10m
*HP works with MSFT closely, and teases "probably the new x3"
*Wharton brooks told "don't release your new phone, we won't support it for rs3, because we are making some changes to mobile, but they can't say any more, hush hush"
*UWP, entire future of the windows platform -win10m, UWP powered OS
*CEO says "we will make more phones, they just won't look like smartphones today"
*COO of surface division "we will make more phones, they just won't look like smartphones today".
*Cshell seen in proto, runs on x3

NOW, what you are proposing is that this is a complete wall of lies. That not one element of it is true, and that MSFT, will fall flat on its face, with consumers, developers and its one OS, onecore, UWP - all will be admitted as farce, and MSFT will roll over and give up, because it gain immediate success with the ambitious goal of unifying windows.

AND what you are proposing is that they have software prototypes, on win10m, for things like files on demand, and cshell, with probably thousands of man hours involved coding them, and despite all that wasted money, have no intention to release any of it.

I find that concept, not credible. The simplest explaination is usually the correct one.

I don't know exactly what the plan is over the next few years, but I know that its not "giving up". Companies give up when they take losses, and lose profitability. When they are profitable, or investing rather than bleeding losses, they try to invest and expand into every viable area.

I mean, look at this - google has ambition for entering the desktop market. They are developing a new desktop/mobile hybrid OS, called fushia - do they, IMO, have any real chance of total success in the desktop market? No.

Would they even take a tiny sliver? Well, maybe. Maybe. I wouldn't call chrome a success globally. And replacing android might make some people a little put out, as people have invested in that. And yet, they are investing money in it. Because that's what corporations do, they expand. The plan, the machinate, they wheel and deal.

Like the royal bloodlines in game of thrones.

I think that you are underestimating the Massively Screwed-up dis-Functional Team (MSFT). Lot's of bridges have been built to nowhere. To be honest, at this point I could see MSFT doing the same thing. They build an OS that cannot run on a device, hence the "bridge to nowhere". They will do all of the enhancements that you said they have committed to but there just won't be a device that runs them.

You are going to call that crazy but given how they executed the Nokia acquisition, it makes perfect sense. Why would they pay BILLIONS for a device manufacturer and then shut it down. It makes no sense. But they did it! So, updating an OS that has no target device, while crazy to most of us, isn't out of the realm of what MSFT can do.

I'm actually starting to think that will happen.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There won't be...what there will be are new W10A 'mobile' devices running the SD835 or higher in the 6"+ category with a pen. Think a connected HP Stream 7 w/Pen running a SD835 w/W10A and using their fresh dynamic size UI they've been working on. (Obviously better spec'd...)

Windows App Store capable which will hopefully help along with everything migrating to the store. It'll never see double digits on its own...but it will all be part of the same system, so it might not matter as much.

I'm sure MS will change their minds again in 6-9 months and we'll move on from the 4th reboot to the 5th...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999