well. its dead. [Skype dropping support for W10M 10586 Messaging+Skype app]

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You misread it. Your Idol 4s is not dead. The version of Skype that is not being supported anymore is the one that was integrated as a part of the Messaging app. Regular Skype for Windows 10 Mobile is NOT dead.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People misunderstand that news as libra89 says.

That doesn't mean Windows 10 Mobile is doing just fine, but it's referring to the Messaging+Skype app that Windows 10 Mobile 10586/TH2 had. Skype on the Anniversary Update and newer should function just fine.

Although it's still not a good sign and there are other factors that suggest you should probably get rid of your 4s if W10M isn't doing it for you now.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It's not dead but Android now has the newest version of Skype that's not even on Windows10 mobile.... What gives Microsoft?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ugh. I really try to pay attention to that. "Windows Phone is Dead". Yup!, cuz now its Windows 10 Mobile. Tech Media is bad at this reporting too. But still, finding a lot of stuff about The Feature 2 branch is it for this generation of mobile. When this C-Shell thing goes... whenever it does, and they do yet another reboot... I will not be an early adopter. Been burnt too many times with Microsoft Mobile.

Thx for clarification - But it still looks like Message Sync is going bye-bye... and that was one of the features I use.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by jasqid
Ugh. I really try to pay attention to that. "Windows Phone is Dead". Yup!, cuz now its Windows 10 Mobile. Tech Media is bad at this reporting too. But still, finding a lot of stuff about The Feature 2 branch is it for this generation of mobile. When this C-Shell thing goes... whenever it does, and they do yet another reboot... I will not be an early adopter. Been burnt too many times with Microsoft Mobile.

Thx for clarification - But it still looks like Message Sync is going bye-bye... and that was one of the features I use.

By message sync do you mean using SMS in the skype app? That isn't going anywhere.

It's the original messaging+skype app for build 10586 which is being dumped.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Tech media is bad at that too. The keep pulling this reboot thing out of their nether regions, and not even insider leaks have ever suggested such a thing. What they have suggested is a new _branch_ of win10m. Not a replacement, a sibling.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tech media is bad at that too. The keep pulling this reboot thing out of their nether regions, and not even insider leaks have ever suggested such a thing. What they have suggested is a new _branch_ of win10m. Not a replacement, a sibling.
Well take the reboots of Windows Phone 7, 8.0 and 10 and it doesn't seem like so much of a "nether regions pull" eh?

Also, this smells just like we're being set up for a Windows Phone 7.8 situation. Another branch setup to placate WP7 users that will be quickly left to wither after minimal feature additions. Maybe a CShell simulator will be sent out. Like that new Start Menu that 7.8 and 8.1 RT Update 3 users got when they were left behind.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well take the reboots of Windows Phone 7, 8.0 and 10 and it doesn't seem like so much of a "nether regions pull" eh?

Also, this smells just like we're being set up for a Windows Phone 7.8 situation. Another branch setup to placate WP7 users that will be quickly left to wither after minimal feature additions. Maybe a CShell simulator will be sent out. Like that new Start Menu that 7.8 and 8.1 RT Update 3 users got when they were left behind.

Windows 10 is the last version of windows. There are no more versions after this. Besides there's a difference between widespread FUD, or suspicion, and actual factual knowledge. Reboot should NOT be presented as a fact.

The word insider leaks have been using is "branch", as in more than one version. Given the presence of "Andromeda" in the current windows code, along side win10m, that seems more likely.

chez3makr

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
Maybe they're planing to have the service integrated into Windows 10 mobile. And have Skype always running and being a drain on the performance! You'll never know with MS

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

The technical rabbit hole is virtually an abyss when it comes to these things and understanding headlines.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion