Edge browser shenanigans

Desire Takawira

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I just got an Idol 4S to add to my collection of HTC One M8 and HP Elite X3. The HTC is bootlegged to run Windows Creators Update via advice from the web. So all 3 devices run the same OS and have the same apps (everything is up to date). Now here's the weird thing, I visit Usatoday on Edge browser quite a bit, before yesterday when I got the Idol, my experience of USA Today wasn't that impressive because the browsing kinda sucks (I don't really like hamburger menu and it's placement of information). Now suddenly Idol seems to render the exact website with a unique interface that is so much easier to navigate. There's no hamburger menu, and the tabs are at the bottom of the page instead of the top. How wonderful! Yet neither Elite x3 nor One M8 can replicate it. Is there something special about Idol that has caused such a difference? How can I replicate this experience on my other devices? Sadly though this experience is only limited to USA Today. Other websites seem to be exactly the same between the devices.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170625_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20170625_0001.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 7
  • wp_ss_20170625_0001[6042].jpg
    wp_ss_20170625_0001[6042].jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 7

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Well, this is something new. Personally haven't used the Idol because it's not available here but would be great to see what others have to say about it.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It could be the native OS scaling of the device, causing the adaptive website to render differently. You could try putting the same website onto a desktop, and scaling to zoom to see if you can replicate something similar. If so, their might be a interop tools registry setting that can replicate it across devices?

mikosoft

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Devices using onscreen buttons report two different resolutions to applications. I don't really know much about it I just know I had scaling issues with some apps and when I contacted the devs they told me the phone is reporting a different resolution than it actually has.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Devices using onscreen buttons report two different resolutions to applications. I don't really know much about it I just know I had scaling issues with some apps and when I contacted the devs they told me the phone is reporting a different resolution than it actually has.

So is the resolution stated wrong or?

mikosoft

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
So is the resolution stated wrong or?

Yes, probably. I never actually dug deep into into since I no longer use that app (can't even remember which one was it) and all the others behave pretty much correctly.

Also I did a quick test with USA today web and it seems the design is not responsive to screen size but rather to something else (probably browser/OS detection) even though they use media queries in CSS. It's weird but I don't really have that much time to dig into it (my HTML is quite rusty).

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Yes, probably. I never actually dug deep into into since I no longer use that app (can't even remember which one was it) and all the others behave pretty much correctly.

Also I did a quick test with USA today web and it seems the design is not responsive to screen size but rather to something else (probably browser/OS detection) even though they use media queries in CSS. It's weird but I don't really have that much time to dig into it (my HTML is quite rusty).

You did dig that much. Much more than most of us would worry about :p

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if the default scaling is a trigger too. Scaling can be set on the idol 4s to 300% max from the default 250%. What is the m8's default? Is the idols default display scaling still 250%.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3