Use of Windows Mobile with United Airlines in-flight entertainment

mojophone

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had luck accessing United's in-flight movies/TV via their Windows phone? Even though United has a Win10 app, just about all entertainment options indicate "additional software required". I'm assuming it has to do with Edge being the only browser option but am not really sure. I fly United enough that I'd love to find a solution other than carrying an older Android phone with me, as well. Any tips (other than dropping Windows Mobile!) appreciated. :)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@mojophone, I was flying to China last year and was reading the inflight magazine and noticed the that you could use the United app for inflight services and entertainment, we were still at the gate and just started to be pushed back, the stewardess was making a finally walk through, I asked her about it and she said she thought I needed to go and register on the internet to gain access (but I wouldn't be able to do it from the plane), I was still close enough to the terminal and was able to quickly use its wifi to register:). this Service is not available on all planes/flights however.

My advice is to call the airlines, or go online to find out exactly what you need to do, BEFORE you get on the plane. It's hard to beat being able to watch streamed movies/TV shows, on a Surface Pro (plugged in under your seat), over a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 25 Black Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones, while cruising at 35K' on a 15/17hr flight:)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@mojophone, I just checked the website link you posted and it doesn't mention Windows at all, BUT I know I used it before - maybe I went through Google's server, I don't remember, like I said the Stewardess gave me a website address and some directions based on her recollection (and I was on a Surface Pro). I might suggest that if you are a member of United's Frequent Flyer Program (they seem to be the easiest to get in touch with = a live person), and ask them if they have any tips?

...sorry!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I used their inflight WiFi not the movies or other services. They have a cool page that interacts with your flight to show the time remaing, wind speed, and other stats. I never used the app though, and wondering why if Edge is not supported yet and that if it falls on Microsoft or United for supporting their inflight movies...?

mojophone

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm able to use their app to get to the Entertainment page in-flight (and see the flight's details) but am unable to start any of the video -- all indicate additional software is required.
@mtf1380: In the "Support and Unsupported Devices" section of the link above, there's a line for "Windows Laptops". It states they support IE and Firefox 52 and below. They don't support Edge, Chrome, nor Firefox >52. It also says it requires the latest Flash plug-in -- maybe that's the killer with Edge mobile??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss