Coping with the end... what's your poison?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It was more of an eye opening than rude. Wasn't aware of what's google trying to do. I was looking at the successes of blackberry, and amazon, and now Nokia using android, so I thought maybe some type of dual booting(win10/android) would be best.
I've been a windows mobile user since forever. Now I carry two phones because I refuse to let go of my wm10. This is it., it's 2017, galaxy s8 is a really nice phone. Galaxy note 8 will be even tempting in the fall if microsoft doesn't have any surface phone announced by the end of year.

MSFT definitely has a new device. Based on what I've been able to glean, its a dual screen detachable clamshell (that's from the code found) running some kind of branch of win10 (based on what the insiders have said), under the codename 'andromeda'. It's apparently floating around the MSFT campus and been spotted there. There have been numerous insiders talk about it, and its be spotted in the code.

Release date however, unknown. But its definitely a thing.

Only thing is with this "phone" is that its not exactly a typical device. Its doubtful going to be exactly like your "westworld tablet", and...it seems likely more of a flexible multi-tasking dual screen device that's highly pocketable.

So I think its more of a niche device, like the surface, than a mainstream device, like the s8 - a catergory creator. A sort of "lead the market and cut out a niche and grow from there" strategy, rather than a 'take everything and everyone on at their own game" strategy.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
MSFT definitely has a new device. Based on what I've been able to glean, its a dual screen detachable clamshell (that's from the code found) running some kind of branch of win10 (based on what the insiders have said), under the codename 'andromeda'. It's apparently floating around the MSFT campus and been spotted there. There have been numerous insiders talk about it, and its be spotted in the code.

Release date however, unknown. But its definitely a thing.

Only thing is with this "phone" is that its not exactly a typical device. Its doubtful going to be exactly like your "westworld tablet", and...it seems likely more of a flexible multi-tasking dual screen device that's highly pocketable.

So I think its more of a niche device, like the surface, than a mainstream device, like the s8 - a catergory creator. A sort of "lead the market and cut out a niche and grow from there" strategy, rather than a 'take everything and everyone on at their own game" strategy.

So, in other words, still nothing for consumers to replace their dying W10M phones with?

How does this so-called device help anything?

This all sounds like the "just wait, next device/patch will be AWESOME!!!!" that us W10M users have been hearing for years.

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm... Pensive on the matter. I used android at length recently, it felt OK. Upside was a lot of apps. But most of the apps I already have on WinMobile. I love how fast iOS works, and the instant app resuming is just too good (we have something akin to that once).
It's like saying good bye to something close - it hasn't died, but you know it's dying. So I am trying to appreciate and enjoy my L950XL as much as I can, for as long as it lasts. My brother switched from the platform this month, still he keeps his 1520 and 930 around, the way I keep my 830.. We're not quite moving on, we're preparing emotionally for the inevitable. More than anything, it's the design and FEEL of the OS that I will miss - clean, mostly well thought of (WP8.1>W10M). I am secretly also preparing myself for waiting it out to buy whatever next version of phone comes. If forced to, I will buy a cheap android phone, carry two phones, the cheap one and the 950XL. It takes such amazing pictures, the sheer amount of detail itself is unmatched by most other high end phones out there. Continuum never fails to impress people even today :)
I am deeply upset, but I am handling it by loving ny 950 more. Nokia and MS did something that spoke to me at a personal level, and no one else has the same feel

jjinal

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
People!! Quit torturing yourselves. Give it up and get a high end android. Your loyalty to WP or WM10 is not appreciated or reciprocated. Free yourself from this trainwreck.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
So, in other words, still nothing for consumers to replace their dying W10M phones with?

This all sounds like the "just wait, next device/patch will be AWESOME!!!!" that us W10M users have been hearing for years.

Exactly this. Maybe someday far in the future many people will be walking around with a device like this but not soon. It doesn't help anyone's current needs.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
People!! Quit torturing yourselves. Give it up and get a high end android. Your loyalty to WP or WM10 is not appreciated or reciprocated. Free yourself from this trainwreck.

But if we give up on W10M, how can we post in this forum and proclaim it's dead and that people need to move on?....

........oh, wait.... I get it now....

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

I am not sure what "new" features mobile really needs right now. I'd be happy with MS doing bug fixes for awhile so this platform gets very solid.

Besides, IF Windows on Arm on a new mobile device is really in the works I'd rather MS put all their efforts into getting that solid before it's release.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure what "new" features mobile really needs right now. I'd be happy with MS doing bug fixes for awhile so this platform gets very solid.

Besides, IF Windows on Arm on a new mobile device is really in the works I'd rather MS put all their efforts into getting that solid before it's release.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

But it's not a mobile phone, it's a mobile device with telephony, or a large telephone that's a computer, or maybe a pocket-sized telephone booth, or perhaps a phone that can be a computer and a magic carpet....

Whatever it is it will be a niche product. If reasonably priced it might be fun to play around with. If expensive I'll let others throw their money at it and see if it develops over the next 10 years or so. I don't see it pulling customers away from their current ecosystems.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm fine playing the wait and see game. My 950 is 18 months old and still working, so no need to switch to a new platform... I'm fine with it not being upgraded to whatever is next. Now, when whatever is next comes out, that will be another story. I probably won't jump right on it, unless it really blows my mind. So, I'm fine waiting to see what they came up with. Then I'll decide if I want to upgrade to the MS mobile device or jump ship.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

136788d1500488544-smartselectimage_2017-07-19-19-15-01.png

This showed up recently the azure developer twitter feed.

I think its the new "phone". Which TBH, it barely is, its more of a phone-tablet.

It follows the exact design of the patent, and the exact form of the windows code on Andromeda that's been found (dual screens, detachable magnetic hinge). In fact, if this isn't the new device, I'd be quite surprised.

Looks like its gone past proto too - its been spotted on campus, and here it is - implying its maybe a year off, but not that far. There is clearly more than one of these devices currently in existence.

Its a lot bigger than I thought it would be. With two detachable screens, it makes a phablet look like a babies toy.

Its a WILD amount of screen space (considering the other screen is folded under) on what looks like a barely pocketable device.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 136810

This showed up recently the azure developer twitter feed.

I think its the new "phone". Which TBH, it barely is, its more of a phone-tablet.

It follows the exact design of the patent, and the exact form of the windows code on Andromeda that's been found (dual screens, detachable magnetic hinge). In fact, if this isn't the new device, I'd be quite surprised.

Looks like its gone past proto too - its been spotted on campus, and here it is - implying its maybe a year off, but not that far. There is clearly more than one of these devices currently in existence.

Its a lot bigger than I thought it would be. With two detachable screens, it makes a phablet look like a babies toy.

Its a WILD amount of screen space (considering the other screen is folded under) on what looks like a barely pocketable device.

Are consumers going to buy something like that? I think that's the point people are trying to make. It's more like a tablet than a phone.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Are consumers going to buy something like that? I think that's the point people are trying to make. It's more like a tablet than a phone.

For the future of win10m, it only matters if some people buy the new device.

Whether they are consumers or not, a nice hybrid tablet like catergory creation 5% marketshare would be enough for keep the small screen OS alive.

But I think consumers might. I mean, they kinda love big phones. A good portion of people buy phablets. This is just the same pocketability, but more screen.

If they or another OEM make a smaller size, then they'd have a highly portable large screen real estate too. Once the template is created, and the SKU, OEMs can play with the idea.

And if that device drives development, and features to the platform, it'll feed off into regular slabs too.

Although I guess we'll have to see how the device works in practice. But its pretty clear win10m isn't 'dead", nor has MSFT given up.

Whether a person wants to replace their 950 with that particular phone or not? Up to them, but its existence is positive for the app platform, windows on arm is the same - and the OS itself, well this runs a relative of win10m, so features should be pretty cross-compatible (ie if they make them for one, it should be easy as heck to port).

And if they don't like it, they can get the incoming x3 refresh, or whatever alcatel makes next. Who knows MSFT might make one last regular slab too to keep put a little coal on the fire. It wouldn't surprise me, there have also been rumours of that (a new Lumia).

As we can see, insider rumours are not just to be ignored! They can be very substaintial. Even if people have been waiting for years for a "surface phone" - they actually have been working on it, they clearly just tried a few different ideas and settled on this as the best.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
For the future of win10m, it only matters if some people buy the new device.

Whether they are consumers or not, a nice hybrid tablet like catergory creation 5% marketshare would be enough for keep the small screen OS alive.

But I think consumers might. I mean, they kinda love big phones. A good portion of people buy phablets. This is just the same pocketability, but more screen.

If they or another OEM make a smaller size, then they'd have a highly portable large screen real estate too. Once the template is created, and the SKU, OEMs can play with the idea.

On your first point, you may be right. Is it eventually replacing the surface lineup? It certainly doesn't look like an easily pocketable device but might be nice for corporate travelers.
As far as consumers I'm not sure. It still lacks what people demand and use in terms of apps. The "average" consumer will not give up an Android or iPhone for this. Still in all, a small niche is possible. The question is will enough people buy it to make it financially feasible?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
On your first point, you may be right. Is it eventually replacing the surface lineup? It certainly doesn't look like an easily pocketable device but might be nice for corporate travelers.
As far as consumers I'm not sure. It still lacks what people demand and use in terms of apps. The "average" consumer will not give up an Android or iPhone for this. Still in all, a small niche is possible. The question is will enough people buy it to make it financially feasible?

I don't really feel that the average consumer buys a phone based on apps. They rarely even know the storage or cpu of the phone. And as far as apps go, win10m has everything for the basic user other than, in some case, banking (it has my bank, and I am in NZ, so even there its not that bad).

I honestly think that this "apps" thing that phone enthusiasts focus on, isn't the reality. For niche applications it matters. For most people not really. But regardless, I myself have confidence that windows on arm will boost UWP adoption. As will this device. One is released this year, the other likely next year. Combined the effect of that, and the centennial bridge/windows s will all herd developers to new userbases.

It's a bit of a 1-2-3 punch. They likely have planned the timing all of this, as to give UWP steam. Like they intend each thing to add to the other, in terms of UWP adoption. That explains why they have been quiet - getting all their pieces together to elegantly release with planned timing.

As for if enough people buy it? Well IDK. The tech news will cover it, even mainstream, because its new. So there will be some buzz. Hopefully (please god) some marketing, lol. From there we will have to see.

It's not to replace the surface line, its like a mi max sized phablet with two screens and a hinge - so far as what I am seeing - 6.4 inches maybe?

Just small enough to hold and pocket, but a bit unwieldy. Its for those people who's pockets and hand sizes are just annoying limitations getting in the way of more screen XD

And yeah, with the other screen as a keyboard I could see it being pretty ideal for business travellers. Like a mini-laptop.

Actually if the hinge/crease is low visibility, and you can full screen across both screens, I'd buy it. Beats travelling with a 9.7 inch tablet, you can flip it out anywhere. People on the bus and train might even be jelly. Fold it out and look at "maps". Show people pictures. IDK, guess we'll have to see more about how it works in practice. At minimum it would be excellent for reading, even with a crease - you'd actually have essentially a book.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes