Anyone gone back to W10M?

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So, as my history has been crazy with Mobile phones I won't go into details, but after going 950XL to Elite X3, back to 950XL then back to an iPhone I was wondering if anyone else has gone back to W10M?

I returned my Elite X3 after too many hardware issues that couldn't be fixed but I am considering going back to my aging 950XL.
I play with the phone occasionally and I do truly miss it. I'm not sure how I will feel about losing certain apps but I may be able to work through it.

Anyone else gone back?

P.S. When the h*** are they going to give Skype a transparent tile? I would really like to use it as the default messenger but without a transparent tile it looks very out of place on the homescreen for me. (and I don't want to use an app to make a transparent tile as I also want notifications.)

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Is Skype ready for prime time yet? Last i tried it for messaging it was slow and the time stamp didn't have enough detail. (For example, I'd text at 9:02:00 and then my wife would reply at 9:02:30 but her reply would show before my text.)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
P.S. When the h*** are they going to give Skype a transparent tile? I would really like to use it as the default messenger but without a transparent tile it looks very out of place on the homescreen for me. (and I don't want to use an app to make a transparent tile as I also want notifications.)
I keep jumping around. I get distracted by all the android HW out there. Not fond of the Android OS at all.

Skype is weird. Cannot attach multiple photos. Cannot access camera directly to attach one photo. Cannot attach gifs yet still I think. Live til works yay, but still this bright blue. Still slow sometimes too...
Thist too!:
Is Skype ready for prime time yet? Last i tried it for messaging it was slow and the time stamp didn't have enough detail. (For example, I'd text at 9:02:00 and then my wife would reply at 9:02:30 but her reply would show before my text.)

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Nope, I haven't. Have 3 Windows Phones that now reside in a drawer, to-date we have not found any compelling reason to resurrect them. Do like the tiles but we need more than just a pretty face.

Last edited:

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've always came back after 4 or 5 months on Android and iOS. Usually do a kind of rotation of the 3 OS'. My 950xl started developing a few faults last month and went downhill rapidly so traded it in for a Galaxy s8. It may well be my last ever Windows phone now that there's no more Lumia devices and they were the reason I came to WP to begin with and their death is the reason I probably won't be back. If the (rumoured) Surface phone impresses then I might return....heck I still look around the classified ad sites at Lumias and might still pick up another 950 or 1520 just for something to give me my Windows phone fix that I always miss after a few months and for nostalgia

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I haven't. Have 3 Windows Phones that now reside in a drawer, to-date we have not found any compelling reason resurrect them. Do like the tiles but we need more than just a pretty face.

I keep pulling out my Idol 4s and putting the sim in it, did again yesterday. It lasted several hours but then I get caught not being able to do something or do it efficiently. That's when I realize it's just not worth it.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Well, I think I have finally decided to get off the roller coaster. Over the past 2 years I have had about every WP there is. I would hold them and wonder where WM was going. Now we know; no where fast.

A few months ago I bought an iPhone 7+. The family is all iPhone so I said what the hay and bought one. I like it a lot; it's there when I need it and works quite smoothly. I'm not in the squeeze blood out of a turnip user but just a general talker, texter and social media user.

Still had the craving for something different so I bought a Nexus 6P as a backup. I had the Nexus 6 a year or so ago and liked the pure Android system. Used it as backup for a couple of months and still felt I was missing something.

Browsed eBay to see what a 950xl was going for and decided it was too much for what you got. Drifted over to the HP Elite x3 area and saw a nearly new unit with case, box and screen saver at a good price entry. Bid and darn if I didn't get it. Get's here on 8/1 and can't wait. Had one about a month after it was introduced but sold it. Now, it will become m backup and I'm prepared to ride out WM with the X3 and the iPhone 7+.

Fickle me; feel good with my situation and look forward to coming back to WC on a more regular basis.

OK, the whacking starts. I can take it. STRONG LIKE BULL!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I fully intend to go back. Right now I'm doing a lot of traveling, and tbh the iPhone has way more travel apps (airline, hiking, navigation, booking, etc). Once things calm down I'll put my sim in my 950XL and a TMo Digits sim in my iPhone 6Splus to keep it up to date and ready to go for if I need something. Can't wait to use my nice lightweight 950XL with near infinite storage again :)

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday after posting in this thread pulled out my L830 (650/950 still in drawer), and found the Creators Update waiting in the wings - this is after same was applied earlier to one of my PCs w/incapacitating results - needless to say, we were a bit on edge until update on phone completed.

So phone lives to see another day although the WC app is considerably more sluggish, too funny :grin:.

Either way my enthusiasm for the platform was short lived but, phone is still capable as a backup for calls, texting, emails, etc. so it's not a complete wash.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I go back and forth. Few days with my Galaxy, few days with my 950

You know - I try to do the same thing, but always end up using my 950 XL way more. I've got an old Galaxy S5 that I keep 'up to date' (only my apps get updated; the OS is stuck at 6.0.1; can't get 7); I use it as my back up to my back up L650; I find that i'm not missing anything app-wise when using my 950 XL; I've got a ton of mobile web sites pinned to my start screen; they work just as good as the 'real' Android app; plus - the Windows 10 Mobile is so much more advanced than Android Marshmallow; it's not even close. Plus plus, my Lumia camera is super awesome; way better than the S5 (even though they are roughly the same age...). I'm super happy with my 950 XL; no reason to leave...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If I had a penny for every time someone said a mobile website is just as good as an app, I'd be rich.....and it still wouldn't be true. That's not to say everyone needs apps, just that many have more functions than a plain mobile website.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
If I had a penny for every time someone said a mobile website is just as good as an app, I'd be rich.....and it still wouldn't be true. That's not to say everyone needs apps, just that many have more functions than a plain mobile website.

This. And it's one of the very few things that actually gets my back up and annoyed. Some websites on mobile are fine and work very similarly to actual apps but they're rare and I'm sorry but there's just no getting away from the need for dedicated apps for a lot of situations. I do a lot of running and I need GPS tracking apps like Endomondo or Runkeeper, music apps to stream my music to my Bluetooth earphones, health/diet apps that integrate with my tracking apps to share information. I rely on my phone for GPS navigation all day my job as I work all over the country and again I stream music to my van stereo. My main communication medium is WhatsApp which requires a phone number so that can't be done via a Web app alone.
That's just a small example of MY needs so multiply that across the world and everyone else's personal situation and there's no way Web apps and websites can satisfy everyone. These people that think they can get by with just the Edge app on their phone are in a tiny minority

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
So you went back to W10M and carry an android for other apps? Do you constantly have it tethered to your W10M?

No, the company supplied a Sprint i6 Plus. I need one app, Cadillac Roadside Technician dispatching app. It has mapping which uses the default mapping, in this case iMaps. I purchased a Huawei Mate 9 which is a great device, I have had issues with the Cadillac app on both i6 and Android, so I decided to enjoy the superior function of Cortana for hands-free operation. This is important to me as I either have dirty ands or they are occupied and total voice interaction is so much better than stopping what I am doing and handling my device. LOL Google assistant and Siri need you to interact with the device when it is locked and receiving an incoming text.

I will say while paired to my vehicle, the Android will make a tone and display that I have a text on the Driver Info Display and I can request it be read but I cannot reply.

I run a Cadillac Escalade for work and cannot use Android Auto or Apple Carplay because I need the Cadillac app when in the vehicle which those programs do not allow but a couple stock apps to run.

Anyway, I don't need the work phone 24/7 so in the evening I have it set to do not disturb and have my 950/950XL to enjoy. I just don't like IOS or Android......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3