08-14-2017 06:06 PM
171 ... 567
tools
    My Lumia 950 XL is my daily driver. I don't have any other phone. Granted, I'm much more of a business user, heavily steeped in Office 365, SharePoint, Teams, Exchange, etc. So, my needs are met pretty well. I only occasionally feel the app gap in a palpable way, where I just won't find a comparable app that I have on my Android tablet. But, even w/ my Android tablet, I'm not the kind of guy installing tons of apps, puttzing time away on them. And, honestly, the ever growing list of UWP apps, extended down to mobile, keep the app situation interesting-ish enough for me (for now).

I've seen benchmarks, where the current Alcatel and HP flagship windows phones don't deliver a whole lot of performance beyond what my 950XL already does (not to mention, their cameras fall short of the 950XL). So, I see myself holding onto my 950XL (which I've had for just under a year now) for another 1.5 to 2 years. That is, unless MS or an OEM does something amazing w/ Windows on Arm, that reasonably approaches a phone form factor, which also works w/ my wireless carrier.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    08-10-2017 10:33 AM
    I turn my 950 on and update everytime theres a update, but it hasnt seen a sim in 8 months.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-10-2017 08:00 PM
    I have an x3 I've been playing with for a week or two now. I have an Honor 8 as my DD, but I'm gonna try using the x3 as my DD, now that I have a decent/usable case. Actually, I think it will do well!

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
    Nate W, aximtreo and libra89 like this.
    08-10-2017 09:57 PM
    I sold my Icon, 1520.3 and dual sim 950XL to help pay for an iPhone 6s Plus and 13" iPad Pro. I am so done with "Windows Mobile" after being a HUGE fan. I kept a 2nd 1520 just to remember what could have been.

A company that is STILL trying to come up with a viable "mobile strategy" in 2017 is a company that is clueless. Microsoft is so far behind in mobile that it is pointless to even continue trying.

Five years from now, Microsoft will be the case study for the "success trap". Polaroid is the current leader in that category. Look it up.
    Nate W likes this.
    08-10-2017 10:05 PM
    I sold my Icon, 1520.3 and dual sim 950XL to help pay for an iPhone 6s Plus and 13" iPad Pro. I am so done with "Windows Mobile" after being a HUGE fan. I kept a 2nd 1520 just to remember what could have been.

A company that is STILL trying to come up with a viable "mobile strategy" in 2017 is a company that is clueless. Microsoft is so far behind in mobile that it is pointless to even continue trying.

Five years from now, Microsoft will be the case study for the "success trap". Polaroid is the current leader in that category. Look it up.
    Maybe (most likely, unfortunately) in mobile....but if you want to do anything of substance you need Windows on a PC....and that ain't going anywhere....
    08-10-2017 10:29 PM

**Off topic, on a tangent here sorry:
    Thanks for sharing this. I had not looked with that perspective/ideology for their business before. That is interesting that you say this. As I believe now by thinking this way, that for a while now (atleast 2 yrs) Microsoft has been battling to recover from the "success trap". Or it seems that way for me now that I look at it. Since the release of W10, whenever that was seems about the time... However, this did not exist for them only in Mobile. Otherwise Windows itself, and everything it uses/consists of would not have been rebooted into where it is headed now. I wonder now though if there is a polar opposite of this term. As Microsoft focuses on so much more beyond what they already know, the pendulum can easily go all the way to far to one side... It is obvious Microsoft is not out strictly for success or improvment of themselves as much making these changes that they have, would hopefully server the hands of those they provide their service to. But of course they succeed if they do so. Some of the things we do not hear more about are things like their AI research and investment in Quantum computing/Computer Science. There may be many other research areas that I did not state. But even those areas can drive into the success trap I suppose. So I think your'e right and that there needs to be a healthy balance for Microsoft.

...I still like using my lumias or other Windows 10 Mobile phones for what they are though, whether Microsoft goes around in circles or not. I mean it is not entirely my problem if they do but then again it is, and so what I do and need in this tech age is not entirely their problem and also is. :)
    08-10-2017 10:50 PM
    Maybe (most likely, unfortunately) in mobile....but if you want to do anything of substance you need Windows on a PC....and that ain't going anywhere....
    Lots of people and companies run non-Windows. There are alternatives that are just as good in many situations, but I get what you're saying. It's their bread and butter, not mobile.
    08-11-2017 03:42 PM
    I have a Nokia 1520 and an Alcatel idol 4s. Other than not having a good app on the 4s for step count I find that mobile sites fits my need just fine where a Windows app is not available. In fact I tried both Android and IOS phones and found that although a bit faster the apps were not that impressive.
    08-11-2017 08:44 PM
    Interesting. I have a Lumia 550 which I bought to use as a PDA - I have a perfectly good Nokia 2310 phone - to replace a worn out Palm Z22. I used the Z22 to record all sorts of financial data and as a very handy shopping list. As far as I can tell it's not possible to copy files from a PC using a USB cable. I didn't use the WiFi connection because when I'm out and about it obviously isn't available. I also found that files that were transferred by WiFi wouldn't snap into place on the Lumia and wouldn't keep still. When I tried to use it as a shopping list device I couldn't mark off items, unlike with the old Palm.

In this day of flashy devices I've gone back to printing items I want to carry with me, or making hand-written notes. The Lumia gathers dust on a shelf above the PC.
    08-12-2017 07:25 AM
    I just ditched my 950 for a galaxy edge 7 and not yet been tempted to go back even the apps we did have were slow and out of date! What's app, Facebook and twitter are great with the latest stuff. I'll keep it as a spare phone camera still rocks
    08-12-2017 09:47 AM
    Lots of people and companies run non-Windows. There are alternatives that are just as good in many situations, but I get what you're saying. It's their bread and butter, not mobile.
    I tried not running Windows for a few years. It just wasn't feasible for the most part. While I could run Win7 VMs in VirtualBox or VMWare on Linux, there were too many issues. Especially as several applications refused to work and authenticate correctly under a VM.

But, yes. I spend close to $500,000 per year on Windows desktop, server, SQL Server, and Azure services.

Figure that I'm a smallish County department with only 800 FTEs and multiply that amount by all the larger organizations and you see their revenue from desktop and server far surpassed whatever could be had from mobile.
    08-12-2017 12:51 PM
    With my current device (Idol 4s) ... I'm using it to take a pic of a game of Spin the Bottle to see what device I'll use the following week.
    wp_20170812_13_29_49_pro-2-.jpg
    08-12-2017 01:44 PM
    With my current device (Idol 4s) ... I'm using it to take a pic of a game of Spin the Bottle to see what device I'll use the following week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170812_13_29_49_Pro (2).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	137001
    Geez...what all do you have there?...you have a backup, for your backup, for your back up, for your main back up....
    mark233 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-12-2017 02:26 PM
    Geez...what all do you have there?...you have a backup, for your backup, for your back up, for your main back up....
    He must have a lot of pockets.
    mark233 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-12-2017 03:08 PM
    Use my X3 daily. It is on fast ring currently 15240. My wife's Icon started having decreased battery life. She is using my 950XL DS that I abandoned when I got the X3. Still have my 1520.3 and use my 1020 as my travel camera. I plan on using my X3 until Microsoft releases it's "ultimate Mobile device" which I hope is a foldable phablet/tablet/pocket PC with telephony.
    Last edited by slepr; 08-12-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    Nate W likes this.
    08-12-2017 03:12 PM
    My phone is a 650, upgraded from a 630 after I cracked the screen. These are the only cell phones that I have ever owned, previously getting away no cell phones at all, then with work flip phones.

I like the design of the 650 and W10M. I don't mind the fewer apps so much, or that there aren't new W10M phones out there except that it means that Microsoft isn't committed to making the experience a good one. I hate the number of bugs and usability issues: Mail not syncing and deleting emails that were deleted elsewhere, mail not counting the right number of unread as a result, photos not uploading to Onedrive for hours despite good WiFi connection, camera sometimes freezing with the "saving", Edge sometimes reloading itself when I'm trying to read a perfectly readable webpage until it blanks itself out and doesn't let me read anymore, and so on. You'd think that if Microsoft employees used W10M, these and other similar usability bugs would be worked out in a timely manner, but they sometimes persist for years.

I do appreciate some of the updates, like to Groove, but the usability bugs need to be fixed.

I'm not going anywhere. I don't have upgrade-itis. It's just a phone.
    Nate W likes this.
    08-12-2017 05:31 PM
    With my current device (Idol 4s) ... I'm using it to take a pic of a game of Spin the Bottle to see what device I'll use the following week. WP_20170812_13_29_49_Pro (2).jpg
    I recognize all but one of them. The one on the top left, is that a Motorola of some sort?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-13-2017 10:21 AM
    I recognize all but one of them. The one on the top left, is that a Motorola of some sort?
    Moto X Pure Edition.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    08-13-2017 07:45 PM
    Moto X Pure Edition.
    I knew it! I remembered that you had one! Did it work (I mean the whole spin the bottle thing) haha ?

Ha, related to the thread, I considered giving up trying to use my 650 for podcasts but I can't get myself to do it...so I'm still buying apps for 2 app stores, randomly. Every time I think I'm done, I decide to cave and buy an app for something so that I wouldn't give up? I guess I'm in denial. I don't mind my iPhone sitting without being turned on for a while but I feel bad about doing that to the Lumia, even though it's unlikely I would use it as a phone.
    aximtreo and mark233 like this.
    08-13-2017 10:59 PM
    Here's what I'm doing with my X3. It is now a spare computer used for browsing teh interwebz and checking email when I want a keyboard.
    08-13-2017 11:21 PM
    I knew it! I remembered that you had one! Did it work (I mean the whole spin the bottle thing) haha ?
    Haha -- twas a silly picture done in humor. However, the iPhone 6s it is this week (maybe beyond, don't know lol ).
    libra89 and Nate W like this.
    08-14-2017 06:06 PM
171 ... 567