For Windows 10 Mobile users (What are you doing with your current device?)

caelironstaff

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I use my Lumia 950 xl as a daily driver (insider fast ring, dev mode). I use my phone for work as well as a byod item, and use citrix receiver in continuum for my employer. I work at a financial institution in a highly mobile position. I also use a Surface Pro 3 issued by work for anything the phone cannot handle. We are deeply integrated with Office 365, so this works very well. At home, I use my old 1520, also on insider fast, for games and smart home items. My wife uses her idol 4s as a daily driver. All integrate well with our xboxes, 360 and one, and our respective pcs (HP laptop for her, non insider, Lenovo 710 tiny VESA mounted to tv and on insider fast for me). If you can't tell, we are a Windows family.

tukur yakubu

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I use my 950xl for everything a phone can do.It is my DD.Use the web for the apps that are not available..Being on insider fast ring,the battery life is now improved.

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 950 is my only phone, and I'm an insider on the fast ring. I make use of it quite a lot. I'm a senior software developer for a good sized company, and I use a lot of business related applications on the phone. My most used apps include Word, Excel, and Powerpoint on occasion; OneNote very often; To-do list; Skype (for text/mms messaging); Skype for Business; Slack; Groove music; an FM Radio app on occasion; Edge; LinPhone (Voip app); Outlook Mail (configured with both personal and work accounts), Calendar, People; Twitter; Facebook & Messenger, Instagram; Maps, Weather, News, Echo radar, Okta Verification.

There are also a number lesser used apps that I have on my phone that are occasionally used.

I hate playing games on my phone, with the exception of an occasional round of Wordament.

I do own a couple USB-C "docks", one by TNP that has USB, HDB, and Ethernet, and a second from Aukey that has HDBI and 4 USB ports. I also have a Bluetooth mouse, and the Microsoft Bluetooth foldable keyboard, and I do use continuum on occasion at work, and a lot more when travelling when I can connect to a TV via hdmi. Although I usually have a laptop with me when I travel, I am trying to use the phone more as a primary device.

I do use Cortana for setting reminders, checking my calendar, and even getting package tracking info or flight status info.

I also keep a 15,000 mah battery in my backpack in case I ever need to charge up my phone on the run.

My spouse has a Galaxy S7, and I have friends with both android and iphones, and I have to say, I really dislike both of those platforms. Windows phone is just much easier to use, more friendly, and really more capable in general. Now if only more app developers would start building UWP apps.... but there really are a lot of UWP apps out there now.

tukur yakubu

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I use my 950xl for everything a phone can do.It is my DD.Use the web for the apps that are not available..Being on insider fast ring on 15237.I also have L640 that I occasionally use for music.It's battery life is superb.

pat grinnan

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site
Love my 950XL I would like to see better security for it email addresses & One Drive hacked all the time Better since I installed Microsoft Authenticator app Would love to be able to use Google Authenticator app for my google email &stuff BUT won't install on 950Windows Phone

larspassic

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 650 is my daily driver. Every day before work, I load up my YouTube watch later playlist, then listen to them as I drive 1.5hrs into work. Same thing going home. So for the past 12 months, my 650 has been playing 12 hours of YouTube videos a week.

The device can be sluggish at times, but RS2 update helped a little. Not ready to retire it yet.

NYCMetsPDX

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
950XL is my daily *weekday* phone as it can't be beat for work (Citrix Receiver on Continuum is a mind blower).

OnePlus 3T is my weekend phone because I use it to watch MLB games on the AtBat app (Stupid I know but if not for that app Windows Mobile more than satisfies).

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both have a 950. Since my wife destroyed her 1020, the 950 is her only device. My 1020 is still my primary device because it is a much more attractive device (bright yellow and MUCH hardier build), has a better camera (though admittedly slower), it has WP8.1, which is supremely better in my opinion to W10M. I do keep the 950 up to date on latest builds because, frankly, I can't complain about something I don't have intimate experience with. I use the 1020 for everything unless it makes sense to switch to my Surface Pro 3. Sadly, as more primary apps disappear from the WP8 store, I may find a point where I'll have no choice but to put down the 1020. This is sad, since I also have the camera shell for it, which turns it into a really nice tripod-mounted rig and adds battery power. There's just nothing I like about the 950. But, I continue to test things out on it to see if a miracle happens and it suddenly is a decent OS.

Heatnup

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I use my Elite X3 for everything. Obviously all my email, however I do most of my texting now on my surface book and Windows laptop and tablets linked to phone via skype. Also, how great and simple is the onedrive integration between windows phone and all my other windows 10 tablets and pc's. Everything is always instantly on each device...even site logins stored on my pc using edge automatically come on phone edge. And for email, drafts are instantly saved and accessible from pc to phone and vice versa when using my hotmail/outlook accounts, awesome feature. I regularly use my Windows phones for hotspots, easy one swipe and a click to enable it.

The greatest feature of the Windows Tiles is when using security cameras. Why, because I simply pin the cameras to the main screen and it updates every 10 minutes or so. I don't have to pull up the cameras simply to get an image showing recent status at home and office. I have ultra high resolution cameras and use ip centcom app and it works awesome on my Elite X3.

I also use Schneider Electric AC controllers with their Wiser Air app to control my two air conditioners and they work awesome. Might I add that the actual units look awesome with their back led glow. I control my garage door openers from my Windows phone using Garage Door Opener app.

I operate my pool solar temp, lights and pumps from a pinned html page, works awesome. I use Jandy Aqualink! I do my banking with Ally and Wells Fargo using Windows phone. I love informed delivery app on phone and PC to monitor incoming usps packages and letters. Sure, some apps don't exist now on windows and windows phone, but if they aren't there I simply don't buy and use products from those companies if I don't have to. I absolutely love how easy Windows 10 has been for me on all platforms.

Anil Mandal

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I still have my lumia 640 Xl but its not my primary one. I m still wIting the day will come when the windows OS will be full of apps like GOT the winter is coming.... and as John Cena said" Never ever give up " So here i am waiting for the moment

TV3

May 1, 2017
Visit site
Lumia 640 as the out-and-about mobile and Lumia 640XL in the house. My short-term plan is to get a used 950 to see me through the next 12 months which will either be the death or rebirth of WM.

MrCode2k

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a 950, which was replaced by Microsoft when my first phone broke. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the battery lasted only 5 hours without using it. Rebooting the phone on a full charge, drained 40% of the battery. After limiting the amount of background apps and purchasing a new battery. The battery barely lasts 10-12 hours and a reboot drains 25% of the battery which it's unacceptable for an everyday phone. The other day I powered up my old 920 to updated and I was amazed at it's performance. It was faster and the battery lasted longer than my current 950. I also noticed how much easier it was to use the 920 with one hand. The weight ratio was perfect compare to the 950 which feels heavier at the top or where the camera is placed and gives the feeling the phone is going to tilt and fall of your hand

At this point. I'm going to take the phone to the store, hopefully they can find the issue with battery drain. If they can't find the issue, as much as I love the UI. I will need to seriously consider a reliable mobile OS. Maybe use the 950 as my gym music player.

RSB54

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft 650, daily driver (only phone). I use it lots, for Texting/messaging, Calendar, Email, Cortana, Groove, everything Internet including FaceBook, GPS (prefer Waze), some simple time-waster games, sports streaming, weather, several travel apps, and much more.
I am satisfied with it, at least to the point that I'm not ready to spend $500-$1000 on the latest & greatest. Of course I'd like more apps, productivity like Chase, but I get by.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I just got a 3 month Groove music pass for 200 Microsoft Rewards points, and am enjoying asking Cortana to play songs for me every time the one I just asked for ends. It is MAGICAL. The only thing I wish I could solve is how to keep the screen on while playing (and charging).

Just thought I'd mention you can use Interop Tools to enable a few extra options under Screen Timeout. One of these being "Never". That would solve keeping your screen on.

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
My spouse has a Galaxy S7, and I have friends with both android and iphones, and I have to say, I really dislike both of those platforms. Windows phone is just much easier to use, more friendly, and really more capable in general. Now if only more app developers would start building UWP apps.... but there really are a lot of UWP apps out there now.

I'm in similar situation. My brother has the Galaxy S/Gear3 and the interface looks awful on the Galaxy. I'll ask him can you do X,Y,Z like mine does and he'll almost always say no. Like today I just asked if his smartwatch lets him know on his phone when the watch is fully charged like my MS Band does. Nope. Lots of little things like that and it makes me not want to switch.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I had to ditch my 1520 and I also had an alcatel idol 4s and sold those to switch to iphone. Although I have a lumia 640 as a backup, and let my son play minion rush and other things. Sometimes I test the fast ring builds on it.

I have a Honor 6X, Gear Fit 2 and Gear S2. (Got the Gear stuff cheap on Ebay.) I am using my Garmin Vivoactive HR all the time and I got tired of using Smart Watches for the moment, therefore, I switched to my Lumia 950 as my daily driver as well. (On the fast ring Insider preview.)

I have literally left all my Android stuff at home and prefer my Lumia 950 over Android.

Right now I own a 1520, 950 XL, and Idol 4s. I want to pick one to keep explicitly on the Insider rings, but I can't seem to keep from rotating between each of them as "weekly" drivers :).

SAJIN FREEMAN

Jul 30, 2017
Visit site
What are you doing with your Windows Phone? What are you planning to do with your Windows 10 Mobile device(s). What do you like to do with your Windows 10 Mobile? I am curious to know who all is still curious, thriving, or enjoying the Windows 10 mobile world out there...

-Are you one who is rotating between the two or three you own ( that's what I do usually :] ) wishing one had aspects of the other?

-Are you using them to the fullest? Meaning are you into tweaking it or customizing (Interop Unlock or reg editing / Developer Mode)?

-Are you content with where you're at in using your current Windows 10 Mobile device?

-Whatever you want to share?

Ease of use is great on W10M. Email is superb. I like also that Microsoft has opened the door to development and the ability to access the registry for us technies, enthusiasts and do-it-your-selfers. These and many other things about Windows 10 Mobile has me latched and keeps me around too.

I always customise my start screen.Dats wat most of the time i do with my lumia!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire