Is there any way to speed up camera roll sync to Onedrive?

Lightning_Racer

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I have to rely on the camera on my Lumia 650 because I lost my Sony compact camera (RX-100). If I'm not in a hurry, the photos will be synced to Onedrive and viewable in the Photos App on my Surface Pro 3 at some point. But if it's something I want to use right away on the Surface Pro 3, it becomes a huge problem.

The sync speed is variable. I took some photos (10) yesterday afternoon with the phone, and when I checked my Surface Pro within the hour, those had synced. However, later last night I took some more photos (about a dozen) with the phone, and 6-7 hours later, they have still not synced.

I'm trying to sell some items, and don't want to work from my phone for that kind of thing. If the camera on the Surface Pro 3 wasn't complete trash, I'd just use that to avoid syncing, but it is defective. Half the frame of the images from the SP3 are always out of focus due to a poor lens alignment or something like that... too bad I didn't test it out thoroughly when it was still in the warranty period 2 years ago. The Lumia 650 camera is excellent.

It just occurred to me that I could go old school and hook up my phone to the SP3 with a cable, but why can't the sync just work and be usable?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have to rely on the camera on my Lumia 650 because I lost my Sony compact camera (RX-100). If I'm not in a hurry, the photos will be synced to Onedrive and viewable in the Photos App on my Surface Pro 3 at some point. But if it's something I want to use right away on the Surface Pro 3, it becomes a huge problem.

The sync speed is variable. I took some photos (10) yesterday afternoon with the phone, and when I checked my Surface Pro within the hour, those had synced. However, later last night I took some more photos (about a dozen) with the phone, and 6-7 hours later, they have still not synced.

I'm trying to sell some items, and don't want to work from my phone for that kind of thing. If the camera on the Surface Pro 3 wasn't complete trash, I'd just use that to avoid syncing, but it is defective. Half the frame of the images from the SP3 are always out of focus due to a poor lens alignment or something like that... too bad I didn't test it out thoroughly when it was still in the warranty period 2 years ago. The Lumia 650 camera is excellent.

Have you tried opening OneDrive after taking the photos? I noticed that when you refresh there, it should sync a little faster.

Lightning_Racer

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the web version of Onedrive, it wasn't showing up there after 6-7 hours.

I connected the phone to my SP3, and it has finally synced. I'm not sure if it got there from the cable, or if Onedrive finally synced. I found out that connecting phone with a USB cable is not simple either. Using File Explorer, it was hanging up because the computer was trying to make a connection to the phone on it's own. I had to disconnect and reconnect.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@Lightning_Racer try to open the photos app and press the refresh button... also open the onedrive app on your 650, click the hamburger button and goto Progress to see the status of the camera upload.

Usually when going into the app, it'll trigger a sync right away, rather than some schedule.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Besides from synced over the cloud I've noticed another issue that right after you to a photo, you can check that photo in your phone without problem. However, if you wanna plug the phone to a computer and check or direct copy that photo you just took from computer's file explorer it also take some time (5-10 mins maybe?) before you can do so.

It's might be a little glitch but when you need that photo in an urge it really annoying.

Lightning_Racer

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
@Lightning_Racer try to open the photos app and press the refresh button...

That's what I was doing for hours. It obviously doesn't work if it's not on Onedrive yet. I was also going to the Photos app on the 650, hoping that having it open would trigger a sync to no avail. May I'll try the Onedrive app on the 650 next time, but with no expectations.

It should just work in a reasonable amount of time with a connection, but it doesn't.

Doesn't anyone from Microsoft use their own phones? You'd think that usability stuff like this would be fixed quickly, rather than be a problem for years. On an unrelated but similar note of do-they-use-their-own-stuff?, the Mail app on my SP3 constantly shows a number for unread mail, even when all mail is read, and the Mail app on my 650 never deletes the mail that has been deleted using the SP3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon