Windows Mobile Really Looking Dead Now!!

Extremevl

May 31, 2017
Visit site
NYPD needs to replace 36K useless smartphones | New York Post

This does look like the end for Windows Mobile, if Microsoft can't support or isn't able to provide support for a police department that just purchased 36,000 of their phones less than 2 years ago then I have to assume Windows Mobile is done?

Just imagine the damage this does to the Windows Mobile line with other companies who may have been thinking about purchasing the phones for their company...now or in the future.

If Microsoft isn't going to support the platform anymore and help it grow then just flat out tell the public Windows Mobile is done and maybe down the line something else will take it's place but talk about a kick in the teeth.

Then to top it off...they go with Apple's iPhone which just helps to make other companies look at iPhones even more. Hell most top companies only give their employees iPhones as work phones anyway. Don't get my wrong I love the iPhone but I did want to see Windows Mobile survive, this is just sad.

Last edited:

Extremevl

May 31, 2017
Visit site
This is really a bad condition of windows platform. Microsoft had to come up with some innovative device functioning for the NYPD.

This is extremely bad since no other companies will want to use Windows Mobile (especially now) plus Windows Mobile doesn't even have a presence in the consumer market besides a phone here or there which 99% of consumers don't even know about or even if they did they probably wouldn't care anyway!

Throw in the fact of zero marketing and no discussion about Windows Mobile in general, let alone the future (if there is one), then it just looks like a failed effort on Microsoft's part. At least with Google when a project is a failure they just announce they will no longer support it and close everything down.

What makes me the most upset is that Microsoft doesn't say anything about Windows Mobile, all you hear is some vague statements/rumors every few months that “supposedly” come from employees at Microsoft...which means nothing at the end of the day.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, the phones were two years old, running W8.1. A premier PD ("the NYPD") should be updating their COM's Tech every two years anyway.

A quote from the article:

'Despite the Microsoft phones’ short shelf life, they have been hailed by both NYPD brass and the rank and file for giving cops the ability to receive alerts, search law enforcement databases, file reports and even watch in real time as 911 dispatchers type up emergency calls.'

So, for two years the phones performed well. Tech improvements move fast (sometimes), I think the issue is that Microsoft is slow on their introduction of the next gen mobile tech.

I think that the article on Forbes declaring, “Windows Phone is dead” (FAKE NEWS:), should have read "Windows 8.1 is dead."

Extremevl

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Well, the phones were two years old, running W8.1. A premier PD ("the NYPD") should be updating their COM's Tech every two years anyway.

A quote from the article:

'Despite the Microsoft phones’ short shelf life, they have been hailed by both NYPD brass and the rank and file for giving cops the ability to receive alerts, search law enforcement databases, file reports and even watch in real time as 911 dispatchers type up emergency calls.'

So, for two years the phones performed well. Tech improvements move fast (sometimes), I think the issue is that Microsoft is slow on their introduction of the next gen mobile tech.

I think that the article on Forbes declaring, “Windows Phone is dead” (FAKE NEWS:), should have read "Windows 8.1 is dead."

The quote from the article does shed a good light on Windows Mobile (running that OS) but at the same time any phone running Android OS or iOS software from 2 years ago would have more than likely performed at the same level...

At the end of the day Windows Mobile looks done and I'm talking about the most current software, I think Microsoft would do a lot better if they just announced it was done and they are working on something new. If they continue this way I just see them digger a bigger hole where companies and consumers just don't want to have anything to do with Windows Mobile at all. Even Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint seem done with Windows Mobile and that's really bad.

Horrible press and leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth is far worst then just saying something failed and letting it die with some respect...

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@Extremevl, valid points...but, I believe Microsoft is hard at work toward a next generation solution. "DO, or DIE"! 'DO' they would receive all the "what vision they had" positive press, or 'DIE' and we all know were that leads:(

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft seems to have a penchant for ******* off its most loyal customers, and then wondering why they don't come back for more abuse.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
The NYPD contract was a fluke. I've watched over the years as the old Windows CE devices in industrial and commercial settings have slowly been replaced by Android units, so I don't think there's been any serious consideration for Windows Mobile in a business or commercial capacity for a very long time. I always wondered why Microsoft and its partners never put out anything to replace these aging devices after the WP7 launch, but it's all moot now because that niche was filled with Android devices. HP tried to address the issue with those really neat accessories for the Elite x3, but they are about 5 years too late to the party.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone bother reading the press release? WP8.1 has been EOL'd by Microsoft and the NYPD's proprietary apps were in the process of updating and they felt it wasn't worth the effort. You'll remember the 640 series doesn't have an official path to CU and they're not like us to be dropping Insider builds. Yes, Windows Phone is officially dead, not Windows 10 Mobile but it's easier to spread FUD than to take the time to get the facts.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Did anyone bother reading the press release? WP8.1 has been EOL'd by Microsoft and the NYPD's proprietary apps were in the process of updating and they felt it wasn't worth the effort. You'll remember the 640 series doesn't have an official path to CU and they're not like us to be dropping Insider builds. Yes, Windows Phone is officially dead, not Windows 10 Mobile but it's easier to spread FUD than to take the time to get the facts.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Excuse me sir? 640 can be upgraded to CU officially, I updated my mother's 640 XL personally. Don't know if you guys have some carrier issues over the pond though.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Windows phone, w10m or whatever you want to call it has need dead for a while and that's been obvious from the lack of devices, meaningful updates, dismissal of all phone employees or any acknowledgment by Microsoft that it even exists. These are not the activities that are associated with a viable mobile platform in 2017. Not sure how anyone could have missed that.

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This is extremely bad since no other companies will want to use Windows Mobile (especially now) plus Windows Mobile doesn't even have a presence in the consumer market besides a phone here or there which 99% of consumers don't even know about or even if they did they probably wouldn't care anyway!

Throw in the fact of zero marketing and no discussion about Windows Mobile in general, let alone the future (if there is one), then it just looks like a failed effort on Microsoft's part. At least with Google when a project is a failure they just announce they will no longer support it and close everything down.

What makes me the most upset is that Microsoft doesn't say anything about Windows Mobile, all you hear is some vague statements/rumors every few months that “supposedly” come from employees at Microsoft...which means nothing at the end of the day.

Only Microsoft, would and will take a hit like this and keep on truckin....

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
It's still a very high profile loss. Where was MS? Why weren't they guiding them to W10m?
Why don't people by Blackberries - they are good, but know wants to invest in something that is going to disappear.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Your post title is as misleading NY Post title.

Fact is, the head of IT for the NYPD was upset over the article and defended the phones with facts about how useful they really were. He also pointed out how far under budget the project was.

As far as the damage that this done to the image... Haha... What image? ****s dead fellas let it go, wait for the next iteration.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
It's still a very high profile loss. Where was MS? Why weren't they guiding them to W10m?
Why don't people by Blackberries - they are good, but know wants to invest in something that is going to disappear.

You don't think Microsoft was talking to the NYPD? They are THE Windows Poster company. What should Microsoft tell NYPD about Windows 10? The project had no way to move forward. No new Windows Mobile hardware. What phones would the NYPD purchase a year from now? Time for NYPD to move on to a new platform. I am sure this is what was communicated to them by Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs