Windows Phone Is Dead Beyond Resurrection

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, a handful of comments on a WINDOWS-FOCUSED forum. Windows Phone market share must be massive!
There are over 2 billion Smartphone users, 99.6% of Smartphones are iOS and Android. How many use Windows Phone? A few hundred thousand at most? That's a needle in a haystack.

UWP is still very limiting and cannot reach the power of Windows Win32 or Android. Also the ability to run UWP on multiple device form factors hasn't conjured up Google Maps, or any other essentials apps. That's not what matters, especially not to users. They don't know and don't need to know how it works under the hood.

Windows Phone has been separated from the main Windows Branch. It's at the same place that WP7 was during the development of 7.8. Dead (won't get WP8), but still "supported" for legal and contractual reasons. I mean there haven't been any new lumias for 2 years. All the updates are bug fixes. Wake up, man!
The .04% don't care. Those of us that use it do so of our own free will. Why can't iOS and Android users understand that? I understand why people have left the platform and that's great. You've found something better that works better for your usage scenario. I haven't and neither have "a few hundred thousand".

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Sargon Aelther

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
The .04% don't care. Those of us that use it do so of our own free will. Why can't iOS and Android users understand that? I understand why people have left the platform and that's great. You've found something better that works better for your usage scenario. I haven't and neither have "a few hundred thousand".

Oh I understand trying to hold onto something you like for as long as you can... I jumped from WM6.5 Pro to WP8.1, 'cause I hated WP7. That's a long time... then again I had working Google maps on WM6.5.5 Pro, so maybe I don't understand.

I'm not trying to force you to switch RIGHT NOW! I'm just saying you might not have a choice eventually, because I see NO FUTURE for Windows 10 Mobile.

When I say that Windows Phone is dead that's all I mean by it. I stayed with a dead OS for a long time myself, but that didn't change the fact that it was dead.

It's the people who claim that Windows Phone is very much alive and kicking that I take issue with.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

The 0.4% should care, because that's not enough to pay the electric bills for life support (expensive, power draining machines). Not that you have much influence. Kay sera, sera. Whatever will be will be - Doris Day?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm touched by the concern. But today, September 4th, 2017, Windows 10 Mobile is working exactly as I need it to. When the day comes, as I'm sure it will, I'll switch to something else. For all we know, it might be something that doesn't even exist right now. I live in the moment as tomorrow is a promise to no one. A heart attack taught me that close to 6 years ago.

It's just a phone people. It's not curing cancer or writing the next great novel.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
TgeekB OS 11
The future of mobile computing. If you're nice, I'll give you first dibs on the brain implanted smartphone I'm designing. Just an overnight stay, no worries.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
TgeekB OS 11
The future of mobile computing. If you're nice, I'll give you first dibs on the brain implanted smartphone I'm designing. Just an overnight stay, no worries.
You have no idea how possible that sounds, and that's the least outlandish part of it. Will Obamacare still be around to cover it when I sign up for the assimilation....er, procedure?

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10M was already dead before it even came out.
There hasn't been any major upgrade to the OS at all. I remember installing the early "developer preview" and I was really excited because now we have a proper notification "Action Centre". And yes it took Microsoft that long to make a proper working OS. Early versions of WP are f**kn nightmare, we didn't even have control to the screen rotation so the screen rotates every bloody time, it's was a complete mess. Thankfully WP 8.1 fixed the screen rotation along with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth quick toggle with the introduction of the notification "Action Centre", though it wasn't as feature packed as what we have right now.
You see the problem here; Microsoft barely puts an effort to the Windows Phones, if there's any at all. There hasn't been any major visual changes and feature introductions or improvements it's all just the same old and boring boxes from the early days. And honestly I've never seen any improvements from early Windows10M "previews"

Point is, improvements to the OS is almost nonexistence. MS may introduce new features but they mostly if not always end up deprecated or forgotten or other platform are doing the same thing, better. Apps are not getting any better either some major apps hasn't seen an update in months.

Windows Phone is a rotting corpse

My two cents as a user for a very long time

Last edited:

maxxem

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Well what do you expect when you give feedback and you see the windows phone department , all 8 of them holding up thank you signs, Lol. I know. Fire them all and get some competent coders and department head with leadership abilities and a whip to crack.

maxxem

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
If you want adolescent Eye Candy go get yourself an IPhone or Android . Windows UI is strictly for adults that don't need funky little adolescent icons. Windows needs to clean house on these C grade coders that cant tell their heads from a hole in the ground. Reminds me of Teams Linux Fixing and breaking at the same time, Lo Fire them all and get some competent coders and a competent department

Sargon Aelther

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
If you want adolescent Eye Candy go get yourself an IPhone or Android . Windows UI is strictly for adults that don't need funky little adolescent icons.

Yet I have adult users coming up to me every day complaining about their complicated, unintuitive and broken Lumia 650s, asking for iPhones instead. Lucky for them, Microsoft is no longer making anything, so I'm giving them their iPhones 6Ss.

pierre laroche

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
Its an app problem...in many ways Win 10 is better than Android.
I think poor stability is a pain point as well. Too many times, the w10 phone stops working as expected, and needs to be rebooted. A casual user can not accept this. Problems occur on both my x3 and 950xl, with the latest on the fast ring. It was the same with the production releases, before i decided to enable rhe developemnt builds. Ether the releases are not beeing tested, or the issues are not understood, so cannot be fixed.

By contrast, my 3 year old Galaxy note works flawlessly.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05