The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-03-2017 04:34 AM
98 1234
tools
    The 710 was a great phone at the time, I bought mine refurbished from T-Mobile and it still works. not thrilled that it didn't update to 7.8 but I knew that WP8 was coming and I would upgrade my phone eventually. Not upset because I always upgrade/buy about 1 to1 1/2 years after a phone/software is released and wait till almost all the bugs are worked out, so a very good experience/usage. iam used to the reboots and and 1% windows phone users experience now.
    09-08-2017 11:23 AM
    Been around since Windows Mobile 5.5, and I don't feel like Microsoft owes me. I chose the ecosystem as it was what worked best for me. I have an iPhone for work, and hate it with a passion. I also have a few Android devices lying around, but not the biggest fan of the OS.

Now, what would I like? I would like to know exactly how long my 950 will be supported. I would like to know sooner rather than later as to what the official future of the OS will be. Am I owed these answers? Nope.
    09-08-2017 11:24 AM
    No one or company owes anyone anything. There's always going to be competing tech and software, which no one knows who will become more dominant or will die out. I think in cases like say the note 7 where harm could've been caused or something was majorly defective then maybe some kind of compensation is needed.
    09-08-2017 11:27 AM
    Well said nielbey, I to would like a definite statement from MS about their plans for mobile going forward, not revealing anything proprietary or specific but just a reassurance that the 1% windows 10 mobile base will have a device/pocket pc going forward. iam not going to apple or android period and will use my 950XL , L650 till they break.
    09-08-2017 11:31 AM
    Same here ashram, hope for a year or more on my 950XL and Idol 4s. still waiting for the surface pocket pc. :-)
    09-08-2017 11:35 AM
    I honestly think they do owe us. I spent countless hours telling friends and family to go MS. After buying 4+ different Windows handsets, I can't believe I'm being forced off into Google or Apple. I don't really have any good reasons for it but I really do feel betrayed.
    09-08-2017 11:36 AM
    Right, real0395 just think of all the angry Betamax video owners and how they felt. the world is littered with past tech owners who where left behind because new tech came out/changed and we are owed nothing.
    09-08-2017 11:39 AM
    RHoudek2 you are not forced off yet, win10 mobile is still updated/supported and working fine one my 3 phones. granted I don't use a lot of apps but I never did, so I'm still good for now. would I recommend it to friends/family no not presently but they never came aboard anyway when I did. :-/
    09-08-2017 11:44 AM
    which windows phone/phones did you own, my $99 L640 always works great to this day.
    09-08-2017 11:46 AM
    they owe me a foldable lumia 950, thats all

just make the damn thing and run woa on it, people will find something to do with it
    09-08-2017 11:56 AM
    They owe everyone for destroying Nokia. I like W10M but, I still can't get over all the crap, inconsistency and lack of commitment they showed for the past 2-3 years.

At this point, I doubt I will embrace anything new they come up with. It's going to take a lot of time to regain some trust.
    09-08-2017 12:14 PM
    They only owe me for my next purchase. If they want me as a customer they need to make a good proposition as to what kind of use I can expect from my next purchase. That is true for every purchase I make. My next car will be from a manufacturer which can provide the transportation I want. I bought my previous phones knowing what I was getting. I have a 950XL which does what I want. I really liked my 1520, my HTC 8x and HD7. They all worked so nobody owes me for them. If Microsoft cannot come up with a good replacement when the time comes I'll find a company which will.
    09-08-2017 12:14 PM
    Like most of you on this site I have become frustrated with MS. I have been a part of their ecosystem since Windows Mobile 5.0 on the HTC Dash. Just when I was about to jump to Android, MS rolled out WP7. I stuck with them. Then after the WP7 upgrades (7.5 & 7.8) all through to 8 & 8.1, which meant more new hardware. I stuck with them. Then there was another shift to WM10. I stuck with them. MS was in a good place. The Surface brand, Windows 10, Xbox and Hololens had made MS an exciting and cool company once again! During this time I would convince anyone who would listen to get a Windows product (especially phone), but now that is not the case. And it has been that way for at least almost two years.

I am in it pretty deep! Everything is Windows - SP4 that is less than a year old, but freezes randomly, DV8P still chugging along, Lenovo Idea PC Stick (RIP), Band 2 - nuff said, Lumia 925 w/ 8.1, Lumia 640 w/ WM10 IP, and Idol 4S IP. Lately, I have been looking at my options meaning which Android hardware am I going with. I am still fighting Apple although everyone in my family has an iPhone.

It seems, at times, the writers on this site struggle with content compared to a couple of years ago. So many similar articles about best PCs or the surface phone keeps popping up. I cannot recall being super excited about an article in a while. Not 100% writers fault, MS just has not been exciting lately.

Jumping off my soap box now and getting back to the subject at hand. There are many of us who have been in this deep for as long/longer than I have. If there is a Surface Mobile device somewhere on the horizon, then MS should do what Samsung did for the Note 7 owners - hand out heavy discounts to those who stuck with them since WP7 and prior! Is that too much to ask?

My brother and I have battled since childhood. I am PC he is Mac. We are still battling. Microsoft does not owe me. Call me delusional but it seems that Microsoft is on the verge of finally uniting Desktop, Tablet and Phone. Windows Phone must die for the coupdetat to succeed.
    09-08-2017 12:15 PM
    I still get a lot of use out of my windows phones. Lucky that I'm not app dependent. I really like windows 10, start menu, action center... I just wish the "one windows" vision could happen faster. That vision definitely feels *just* around the corner however I'm expecting it would be more time still for the full polish.

Looking forward to what the windows on arm devices offer me.
    09-08-2017 12:27 PM
    I really do miss Nokia.
    09-08-2017 12:27 PM
    hopefully we will see something this fall.
    09-08-2017 12:29 PM
    I don't think M$ owes us anything. At least in my case, I'm guilty for trusting them after buying the second generation of devices with Windows Phone (Lumia 1020), thinking that W10 would be 100% compatible, as they promised. Nowadays, I don't even have Windows in my laptop, as a member of IT and Application Security team, I have Linux to work with and if it is needed, we have virtual machines running Windows. Anyway, I have to thank Micro$oft for building Windows (put your favourite flavor/version here) and every new feature with it, it is so insecure that work never ends and I can keep earning money from it.
    09-08-2017 01:00 PM
    Microsoft doesn't owe you anything.

They've bent over backwards to try to make this work for years. Any other company, even one with as deep of pockets, would have cut their losses long ago.

You knew what you were getting into each time you decided to stick it out. I did too.

Get a new Samsung, or something that runs stock Android like Pixel or Essential.
    Microsoft doesn't owe me anything for my loyalty. They owe themselves and their investors proper VISION. "Retrenchment" WTF does that mean? MS owes everyone their ecosystem strategy.

When you say "cut your losses" I couldn't disagree more. That is short-sighted. Could you imagine Apple giving up on the mobile phone arena when they had ZERO products before the iPhone and Microsoft, Nokia with Symbian and Blackberry owned the market? Instead the invested heavily, with no promise of success, no market share, no OS, no hardware.... just VISION and investment into it.

Ecosystems grow from "personal" to "productive" not the other way around. People will take what they already use most often (personal cellphone) and want that device to unify their digital life. Conversely, Microsoft thought they could draw on their "productive" market share (PCs, Laptops) and grow mobile/personal market share without heavy investment. WRONG!

If Microsoft doesn't secure foothold in the mobile market, we will all be using Apple or Google OS on our "productive" devices.
    09-08-2017 01:11 PM
    Samsung owes people because their phone literally burned. Who here is over 35yrs old, bet they dont think they are owed anything. Weird.
    My son got a shiny new S7 when his Note 7 was about to become a bonfire.
    09-08-2017 01:39 PM
    I've had Windows on a Phone since 2008. WM 6.0,6.1,6.5,WP 7,7.5,8.0,8.1, and W10M. I've been so loyal to MS's mobile platform, that I deserve an Xbox One X 2TB, a new Surface Pro with a Core i7, 16GB of RAM, and 1TB of storage. Also a lifetime free subscription to Groove and Xbox Live Gold. Just joking, probably.
    Last edited by Geoffrey Turks; 09-08-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Clarification
    09-08-2017 01:43 PM
    people get frustrated easily today, maybe it's too much information at hand, everyone seems to have an opinion, and a strong one at that. i think everyone of us was in it (windows phone) cause we liked the idea, and i think most of us would come back again, till then we can keep vetting out all our frustrations, but the fact does not change, microsoft tried, and retried and retried and technology keeps on changing and the focus keeps on shifting, until the next big thing, get anything with a stock android.
    09-08-2017 01:55 PM
    I don't feel like they owe me anything. This is a capitalistic, free world (for the most part) after all.

Having said that, that doesn't mean that they aren't ticking me the hell off right now, and I do feel like they are being total jerks to their loyal fanbase.
    09-08-2017 01:57 PM
    Begin Rant

Imagine how us developers developers developers feel. I agree with what some of you have already said, I think MS owes us a solid road-map of what their mobile plans are. As a developer I jumped from developing for iPhone the day WP7 came out. I fell for all the talk that Microsoft gave us and those BUILD conferences. I put apps in their new app store and even ported some over to Windows 8 when it came out. Then we saw MS start putting out apps on other platforms and not on WP or Windows. Okay..., no problem MS, if you can put your apps on other platforms, surely your development tools that I bought into would be updated so I could port my apps to the other mobile platforms as well, right?? Nope,, instead Microsoft started building ONE-WAY bridges to help Android and iPhone developers port their apps to WP/Windows, good one MS, those developers never cared about WP/Windows and never will! You know why? Cause when you had the chance to win the Developers Developers Developers, you instead tried to be like Apple and you only produced dev tools that out of the box built apps for a platform that you didn't even throw you 100% support behind. How do I know? Tell me the killer Metro App that Microsoft built when Windows 8 came out....... nothing.... Even iOS got Office Mobile before Windows did. SMH.

So now, here I was a Windows Developer, loyal to Microsoft but stuck in a dead eco-system and if I wanted to put my C# skills to use back then I had to go pay Xamarin a bunch of money and still have to do a lot of native coding to port my apps to other platforms. Microsoft finally bought Xamarin but by then, I had stopped developing for Windows!

Hey Microsoft! I'm a Windows developer that uses Windows to developer only for Android and iOS, was that the result you where going for?

End Rant;
    09-08-2017 02:06 PM
    Microsoft owes us a ****load of explanations, revelations, one-to-one sit down brainstorming meeting with the hardcore dedicated fans (who have invested precious trust and money on the company) over the years. No more "press releases". Talk to us DIRECTLY. Listen to the fans. Take note. Build up rapport and trust. Stop with the PowerPoint slides and actually build on the exclusivity consumer platform (enough with enterprise solutions). Hardware-software combination. Products for the people as opposed to a company or enterprise solution. Build on the solo customer experience. Media, codecs, games, office solutions, stylus, design all these build based on premium single customer based solution/ecosystem. Keeping the fans in loop about new developments via smart-room solutions. Publicity, advertising (on every media platforms). If you can't dish out a device NOW (that even "actually" works on the aforementioned conditions) then stop what you're doing RIGHT NOW and leaves us be. Microsoft could actually come out with a workable device in premium format right now with limited quantity. Serve only exclusively for the hardcore fans and then start building up from there in volume across the world. As for apps, Microsoft is also itself a software company (right?) so if it can build an entire ecosystem and the OS itself. Why don't build its own apps (I may sound stupid, but why rely on developers when you can do it yourself?!). We had msn travel, health & fitness, news, money, sports, travel... so why not revive them and bring them to the fore with exciting new features. This way the apps will be native and secure!
    09-08-2017 02:38 PM
    No, I don't think Microsoft ownes anyone anything. Nobody from Microsoft forced us to make the choices we made. I started with Windows Mobile 6 on HTC Touch Diamond. I continued with WP 7 on HTC Radar. I bought Nokia Lumia 800 for my wife. Then I upgraded myself to Nokia Lumia 1020 and my wife to Nokia Lumia 925. Now I use a Lumia 950 XL and my wife is using a Lumia 950.
    Do I expect Microsoft rewards me somehow for my loyalty? No.
    I choose these products because I liked them and I choose Microsoft's OS because it is so different from IOS and Android. I like Live Tiles a lot. But probably my next smartphone will be a LG V30.
    09-08-2017 03:01 PM
98 1234