Microsoft owes us that have stuck with them since Windows Phone 7 and even beyond!!!

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
No, Microsoft doesn't owe us anything. They just have a hill to climb in convincing us that next time they won't drop all support for their next revolutional device the moment they have managed to create the next iteration. I'm speaking OS and ecosystem wise.

Personally, I think MS has gone the way of BB when it comes to mobile. Don’t believe they will ever regain the traction, nor the following, once seen in the past to sustain viability in the mobile field.

No, they probably don’t owe us anything if we are referring to the past tense. But if one purchases a NEW product there is this "reasonable" expectation that it will perform and function as intended/advertised. And IMHO, W10M never did and still does not to the degree that it should, hardware hasn't been all that stellar either.

Do have to laugh when I hear those using the old adage “they never forced us to buy it”. Wonder if the same holds true when their new vehicle doesn’t quite perform as it should, or something malfunctions, and the dealer/manufacture ignores their pleas for a resolve?

PC1589

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
They don't owe anything except to their stock holders, nor do we owe them a damn thing. It will be a long time before I would even think about jumping on board with anything new Microsoft cooks up. I HATE Google, but I've been using a Motorola for about a year now. Waiting on Microsoft for anything is like waiting on your drunk, abusive spouse to wake up one day and decide to clean up his/her act.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Waiting on Microsoft for anything is like waiting on your drunk, abusive spouse to wake up one day and decide to clean up his/her act.
The difference is the spouse might be able to get his/her act together in a day, here that will take at least a couple of years...something really no one should have the time or patience for.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Windows Central mobile app

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
what are you talking about? Windows RT was awesome, it was 90% windows and I could do all sorts of cool things with it and enjoyed it immensely, it was people like you who thought it would run full windows and then find out you can't run legacy apps... :eck: probably MS didn't help by not advertising ANYTHING about RT and what people were getting into. naw man I had some good times with my RT and STILL use it sometimes to this day! go look at some vids on YouTube from sean Ong and what the RT was capable of.. seriously kicks the ipads a$$. the ONLY thing that bothered me about RT is that apps couldn't run in the background when it was asleep.. that's it.
Hilarious post. I have been heavy in the tech world for 30 years. I knew everything about RT when I bought one. I bought mine for $99 at MS TechED when they were still new. Even then as a MS dev partner I knew RT had no future. I was joking about compensation. For $99 it was just a toy to play around with for a bit.

On the business side MS had to be delusional to think these things would sell. Glad you liked yours. But considering the massive write off MS made on RT, I am not the only on who saw no future in RT.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
No. In fact my next phone is going to be the HP x3 phone. Hopefully they upgrade their current flagship.
Good things come to those who wait, and I believe that they are just killing off WP as we know it, and are currently working something secretly down the Microsoft Research basement.

kr33m0

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Do have to laugh when I hear those using the old adage “they never forced us to buy it”. Wonder if the same holds true when their new vehicle doesn’t quite perform as it should, or something malfunctions, and the dealer/manufacture ignores their pleas for a resolve?

These were my thoughts as well. What if it was something else that was worth more to us like your car example or a house? Take away whether it's a phone, car or house and focus on the time and money spent based on promises

HPDeskjet

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, after having stuck with Windows Phone for several years, all the way from Windows Phone 7, I'm ensuring that my next 'phone will be android. I'm now fed up with apps that no longer work or are not available for what I want to do on my 'phone. The lack of final, not beta, updates is also another issue. I may get the new Nokia 8 Android.

lupinesithlord

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have flat out bought 3 smartphones...Samsung focus, lumia 920, lumia 950 xl. I have owned multiple surfaces (which I love.) Have a 1st gen Band. xbox multiples...you get the picture, I have bled Microsoft products. It pains me to say I have to consider the next phone I am going to, and I don't know what to do. I need more functionality and stability than my XL. I need apps for work. I hate apple with a passion, but the insecurity of android gives me Heebee Jeebies. Would I like some kind of credit....you betcha. I don't seem to learn my lesson, early adopt and see people who wait get a better deal. Do I think it is going to happen. Nope. The leadership brought don matrik (worst thing to happen to xbox) and thankfully replaced him with Spencer. Hopefully the leadership doesn't tank Microsoft.

swille81

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
To suggest that Microsoft owes me anything personally for the time I stuck it out with Windows Phone would suggest that I want anything from them at all.

aaand-the-ship-has-sailed.jpg

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The CEO is only focused on the cloud. It is what he was hired for, it is what he does and what he does best. Nothing will break his focus on the cloud. Ask him about a Windows Phone and watch him say, "..heyyy, I remember those". Microsoft left me some time ago on Windows Phone and after a while, I began to feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football being held by Lucy. I figure they all but abandoned the phone. So if you happen to have one that they claim to still support, count it as a blessing because those days are numbered.

mech1164

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of those crazies still having a functional wp with win 10 on it. It's sad to know that I have a snowballs chance in hell of seeing it updated to something useful.

As to do they owe us anything. From a corporate look no. If they want success later though. They would be smart to throw us a bone. I'm not saying a Free device. But giving a good trade in for their new device would go along way. Heck we'd even evangelize for them.

Now do I think this will happen? Remember that snowball I mentioned earlier.

kr33m0

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Let's look at this from a business perspective and use the NYPD's use of 30k WP for their officers then had to go in a different direction (iPhones) less than 2 years later. The IT Director came under a lot of scrutiny for that decision, although later it showed it was unwarranted. But ask yourself, to make a huge decision like that there had to be some assurances/expectations/guarantees from Microsoft. Or that deal likely does not happen. Something of that magnitude would surely get people fired. I think back to when I was pushing Windows hard to my IT director at the time thinking it was going to take over the corporate space. Wonder what would have happened back then had we taken that path?

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The CEO is only focused on the cloud. It is what he was hired for, it is what he does and what he does best. Nothing will break his focus on the cloud. Ask him about a Windows Phone and watch him say, "..heyyy, I remember those". Microsoft left me some time ago on Windows Phone and after a while, I began to feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football being held by Lucy. I figure they all but abandoned the phone. So if you happen to have one that they claim to still support, count it as a blessing because those days are numbered.
Let me finish the response.
... I remember those". My predecessor was fired for losing many billions of dollars those devices.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been Windows Mobile fan for MANY years... I started with the HPC 1.0 (a Windows 95 handheld based off CE), I moved through the years to PocketPC devices, from 1.0 to 6.5... Thousands of dollars spent on these devices. These were the days where Apps were all side loaded, you needed to buy or download an program or game and manually install it. Back in the day, there was no such thing as a "app" as they are called today. It was treated like Windows of the day.

Then came along Windows Phone. So I waited for the DAY when I could get one on Verizon...and Here came the Trophy. Great little phone for the day, when it worked. From there moved on to 6 different Windows Phone devices, to my last one that I still own... A Nokia ICON with OEM backs in every color available. I was as die-hard of a fan as anyone here could be.

After Microsoft pretty much said "screw consumers" is where I really felt like everything is starting falling apart. I stuck with it as long as I could take it, till I started a company that had "apps" and finding an app for a Windows 10 mobile device was and still is a joke. Then the fact that my ICON had Tap-to-Pay till google picked up the company and Microsoft comes out with their own...Oh, gee wiz, My phone is not compatible. That was the final straw.

Out of all the phones, Windows Phone is the best out of all of them (referring more to 8.1 when it was rock solid), iOS is iOS, just a glorified app launcher and Android (my current phone) is....don't even know where to start with battery life issues and the TONS of other Android issues. Windows Phone seems like the better OS with the tiles and the general layout

With 15-20 years supporting Microsoft "Mobile" products. I feel completely screwed by Microsoft. After all these years with them and supporting them they just give up on "consumers" the fans who supported them.

If I have learned anything here, I will avoid a Microsoft mobile device and watch before even attempted to buy one. I wont even buy a Surface tablet, As I do not want to support their mobile or laptop products any more.

I feel burned too many times now... And it's very old.

If a smaller company did this to consumers they would be broke and out of business, I guess Microsoft is too big to fail.

Sandra Milo

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
They owe us clear statement about their mobile strategy, so we all see if it's still worth staying.

Personally, I am very loyal, but since my Lumia950 is close to end of it's life and there is no Win10 Mobile device to choose from I am close to buy new iPhone8.

Still hope we will see Surface Phone reveal in next few months, otherwise bye bye MS.

Watch the first minute of this interview on Bloomberg with Satya Nadella. NOT gonna happen. Too bad too. I've really love the OS and am very reluctant to give up my 950xl....Waiting for the Pixel 2 announcement on October 4. Have no interest in the Apple ecosystem nor the bloatware you can't eject on the Samsung phones. The LG V30 does sound interesting because of the wide angle lense, but I will probably go with stock Android on a Pixel 2 xl.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2017-09-29/microsoft-will-always-invest-in-hardware-ceo-says-video

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry for everyone that is still in Windows Mobile. Does anyone else feel like this site kept your hopes alive much longer than you should have? All the articles about retrenching and the big picture. Definitely kept me a fan too long.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I know this is a mobile section, but for me its the ecosystem, I only got back into Windows because of my wife's Windows phone back in WP7, I was already to ditch Windows itself on my laptop for Ubuntu or Mint and go to another OS to replace my HTC HD2.

Many many thousands of pounds later and an awful lot of hours invested in the Windows ecosystem including Surface Pro's, Xbox's and many Windows phones up to the 950 and 950XL, plus docking stations and the rest.

I cannot trust MS to ever go forward and stick with a plan unless it includes the word "Retrenchment". How can I invest in the XBOX One X as an entertainment system? How can I spend money with MS for services that they can drop at a minutes notice.

I think MS is close to dead in the consumer space, and YES I would like them to explain their current consumer position.

Do they owe us, probably not but on the reverse, they have now lost any loyalty I had towards them and I will not spend another penny with them.

Now what OS's can I put on our Surface Pro's?