11-23-2017 12:33 PM
99 1234
tools
    It is an impressive feature and works. I can connect to my office dock and it works really well, but I agree I couldn't think of a time when I would use it instead of my Lenovo Surface style tablet.
    10-04-2017 01:57 PM
    I agree with you.
    10-04-2017 02:08 PM
    No, I think continuum hasn't failed. I think it is here to stay. For me with continuum there are three things that need to change fast to make it work. The only issue is that continuum is half baked, and it should be obvious at a glance at microsoft.
    1. Multitasking: The reality is that many people multitask. Over the years use windows 8 and 10 on my surface pro devices, I have found it necessary to use two apps side by side as an absolute minimum to be productive. It's the only lacking function missing in the current itterations of windows 10 mobile. If it was enabled now and worked without lag, I think it could have been a disruption of my workflow with apc on my phone for work and private use.
    2. All apps should have been uwp ready at launch of continuum. Microsoft should have made uwo coding more developer friendly from the start.The issue now is still that many apps can not be opened in continuum on phone simply because they are not fully uwp encoded. A buzz and productivity killer error from the start. The focus may have been business and native and office apps mainly, but with windows store and an open market for third party apps.
    3. Mordernizing the desktop by upgrading the old model of off ns of the desktop to live tiles. I've embraced the live tiles fully over the last 5 yeats. Full screen start with live tiles is an immersive, user definable dashboard, with all the basic glanceable live information and basic files and folders I need, at my finger tips, to get in, get going and get out. Ideal for tablet and 2-in-1 devices. With a dab of tiles becoming tile toast interactive notification widgets it would be a highly productive dashboard on the new desktop.

For me, these relatively small, but minimum relevant, changes, could make a difference for me of considering switching my surface or laptop daily driver for work to a mobile pc device with windows 10 mobile. So not as refined and windows 10 clone desktop UI or Samsung DeX like, but an absolute minimum for making a mobile pc viable on an larger surrogate screen. I think that should be possible with the shell project.

Put it on a Note 8, call it the ATIV 10, wonderful!
    10-04-2017 04:19 PM
    Fact is, Microsoft has always treated mobile like a red headed step child. Until that attitude changes don't expect them to ever succeed in mobile especially with a CEO that shows thru his ACTIONS he doesn't get mobile. Period.
    fatclue_98 and theefman like this.
    10-04-2017 06:01 PM
    Continuum is Kinect all over again, they have an amazing product and they run it into the ground because of lacklustre support.
    10-04-2017 07:34 PM
    The idea is great. An adaptive UI should be available for every screen/input method in any device.
    It just doesn't make sense in a phone right now. To connect wirelessly isn't an option because it consumes too much energy. At home, wired to a dock it's inconvenient to use the phone. Like back in 1980.
    On the road it's even worse in my opinion. In most cases you would need to carry a laptop dock and/or cables, keyboard and mouse for some screen in a hotel or whatever, probably a powerbank, bluetooth headset for phone calls while docked...
    If you loose the phone, it breaks, gets stolen...nada.
    Maybe in 10 years.
    10-04-2017 08:12 PM
    Continuum is Kinect all over again, they have an amazing product and they run it into the ground because of lacklustre support.
    No, lackluster sales doomed Continuum. Out of 5 models that support the feature only 2 (AT&T 950 & T-Mobile Idol 4S) made it to carriers in the US. And of those 2, one of them had an atrocious camera. Not exactly a winning combination for the US market that rises and falls on carrier financing.

Microsoft has plenty of poop on its hands the way they marketed Windows phones, but neither the carriers or the non-Lumia OEMs lifted a finger to advertise. Couple that with the tech bloggers who looked like they stepped on a hot steamy pile at the mere mention of a Windows phone and you have what is called The Perfect Storm of
    10-04-2017 08:22 PM
    I think continuum didn't fail so much as hasn't seen it's glory day yet. The fact that Samsung copied the idea with Dex and Huwei is rumored to have a similar idea in play means it is still an idea with traction but hasn't hit on that Golden addition moment.

I agree that the big issue for me, and I use it on my 950 regularly at my desk, was there was no inking solution to go with it. Inking had become more and more a piece of W10, yet if I want to ink there is no way to do it with a W10M device (not entirely true, you can connect to a tablet and use the touchscreen, but really, come on). If they had created a dummy S3 she'll that it could dock to and the pen worked i would have dropped my S3 and just carried my 950.

I am hoping that a WoA Cshell device with an active pen can reach this golden moment.
    10-04-2017 09:06 PM
    TLDR: I don't find Continuum as a necessity in the real world.

Continuum while an awesome concept and in theory it's an innovation but in real life its plain stupid. There are no actual scenario I could think where I need to dock my phone on a readily available mouse, keyboard, and monitor setup so I could glaze upon the Word documents I fully prepared moments before, in a full desktop UI. Aren't Laptops, Tablets or Desktops good enough already to be just their own thing. I'm not gonna spend my hard earned cash on a phone with mouse, monitor, keyboard and docking station and lug those around with me all the time. Who does that? Not to mention with lack of apps Windows 10 isn't the best ecosystem for Continuum. It's feasible in Android hence they're doing it but I doubt many people will embrace it even I won't and I'm a tech nerd.
    myfyp2 likes this.
    10-04-2017 09:08 PM
    Also remember, everything old is new again at Microsoft. The course of Windows RT is being reborn and improved as W10S and WoA. I think continuum will be reborn as cshell and WoA.
    10-04-2017 09:10 PM
    What is funny is Samsung and possibly Huawei I read too are following suit with a desktop like experience on Android. Why would this be unless they believe it has potential? It is like anything pioneered for the first time. Those pioneering technology now do not always reap the benefits of it, rather others do who learn from those pioneering from their mistakes or example.
    Not sure about Huawei, but Samsung is famous for throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks.
    nate0 likes this.
    10-04-2017 09:12 PM
    Continuum hasn't failed. If I'm not mistaken, they just had an app become compatible with it recently. But if anything, MS consumer products do poorly BECAUSE MICROSOFT DOESN'T ADVERTISE THEM!
    fin11 likes this.
    10-04-2017 10:22 PM
    I have actually used Continuum on my TV. I have a Wireless Adapter and a Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad just for Continuum next to my TV. And since Office Mobile is always on my phone, I don't have to pay for it. It's handy to have available and it works.
    raycpl likes this.
    10-04-2017 10:50 PM
    Continuum on the Lumia 950XL was laggy. It is much better on the Elite X3. However, Continuum is a very niche feature used by a very specific group of people.

It didn't fail at all. It could benefit from more features but W10mo is on maintenance mode.

And since the next iteration CShell is canned, it's unlikely Continuum will continue to be enhanced unless there's enough demand, like Onedrive Placeholder.
    10-04-2017 11:06 PM
    don't think it's a failure in a sense that's this feature works better and better won't go away and just bake in mobile OSs. (Android/iOS/Windows)

It didn't work cuz the user still need a set of Keyboard / Monitor / Mouse. This will work if eventually with foldable display, projection, ..etc.
    10-04-2017 11:15 PM
    TLDR: I don't find Continuum as a necessity in the real world.

Continuum while an awesome concept and in theory it's an innovation but in real life its plain stupid. There are no actual scenario I could think where I need to dock my phone on a readily available mouse, keyboard, and monitor setup so I could glaze upon the Word documents I fully prepared moments before, in a full desktop UI. Aren't Laptops, Tablets or Desktops good enough already to be just their own thing. I'm not gonna spend my hard earned cash on a phone with mouse, monitor, keyboard and docking station and lug those around with me all the time. Who does that? Not to mention with lack of apps Windows 10 isn't the best ecosystem for Continuum. It's feasible in Android hence they're doing it but I doubt many people will embrace it even I won't and I'm a tech nerd.
    There are a lot more apps that run on Continuum than there are for DeX. Take away the Microsoft apps and DeX has only a handful. Now, just because you don’t see the need doesn’t make it “plain stupid”. That description is reserved for the blissfully ignorant.
    10-04-2017 11:32 PM
    Continuum is not the problem. The problem is you need a windows mobile device to use it. There are not that many or there. Launch a surface phone with continuum and it will gain traction
    10-04-2017 11:45 PM
    Not sure about Huawei, but Samsung is famous for throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks.
    ha! There is truth in that. Good reminder. Huawei's goal from my perspective is sales in volume.
    10-04-2017 11:54 PM
    Not to mention with lack of apps Windows 10 isn't the best ecosystem for Continuum. It's feasible in Android hence they're doing it but I doubt many people will embrace it even I won't and I'm a tech nerd.
    1. Actually it is. Except in the current state it only runs Universal apps found from the store available for mobile. Andromeda aims to change that. We have to remember that continuum is a stepping stone or piece of the pie to make the whole of Windows work across multiple scenarios places and devices.

2. Android might have an ecosystem of apps, but Dex only works on a Samsung, and is limited to that Samsung specific device as of now. I am not confident enough to know how dex works organically, but from my initial perspective I suspect the UI layer over top of the Android OS has a lot to do with it. Meaning Samsung Dex is a home brewed solution to run only on Samung devices probably aiming to run their own apps out of their store. This is good in one way which means any Android phone maker could implement it if they chose to build it out.

Continnum on the other hand is only limited to hardware (in most cases) at the moment. And is there for the taking to use if an OEM wants to utilize it (Much like HP did). As long as the hw is capable it works (SD 617, 808, 810, 8?? etc) see here. If a maker wants it as a feature then they need only to make a device that is capable to run it. Alcatel never drove home the continuum feature, even though it supports it, nobody really saw that device for that. The Alcatel Idol 4s to me stands out as an odd ball device. No OEM FW/SW support, bad camera, horrible customer support, VR is half baked from what I've read, but it is shiny, thin and has awesome speakers. IMO It was a poor execution at the last effort for a consumer flagship running Windows 10 mobile.
    Last edited by Nate W; 10-05-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    10-05-2017 12:18 AM
    One thing they should have done from the very start though is include the dock in the same box as the phones, swallowed the loss by not increasing the price of the handset and defiantly not have it as a $100+ accessory sold separately.
    That's absolutely spot on, to package it as one. After I got my 950XL, I had to wait 6 months before the shop had the display hub in stock. During that time, I was hobbling along by projecting to laptop/monitors & using USB-OTG adaptors to have use of keyboards & mouse. Not very elegant, nor smooth

I use Continuum a lot.
    In my office, all computers services are locked to local network, and Internet access is restricted.

Using continuum/950XL combo enable me to bypass that and make working life more bearable!!

... !
    10-05-2017 02:05 AM
    Because in the REAL WORLD when you take out the first adopters who will try and believe in anything new, Continuum is a waste of time, most people in the workplace use real desktop apps, not half-baked windows 10 apps. The way to use desktop apps via Continuum is too long and convoluted, just take a real laptop or use a Blackberry Keyone!
    10-05-2017 04:10 AM
    Failure is relative and an opinion. As a product manager I find myself in a constant struggle when it comes to developing a new or innovative solution or idea. We ask ourselves, "is the market ready this", "is the user ready this"... Many times we don't have that answer until we try it out with a customer, but even trying it out means we have to develop and build it. I could potentially see MS product team was in the same scenario. Is the market ready, are customers ready to use this, you don't know what you don't know. I also fully believe MS has a strategy in place to merge the power of a pc, with the convenience of a phone. This could have been part of that strategy. Failure to those not in the know, or for those that scratch their head in disbelief, but maybe not a failure to the product team developing the strategy or to those who can see past it's 1st gen flaws.

My dock is in my home office and i use it with 950 usually to do quick bites of work, research, or email. I would much rather dock my phone than to pull out my laptop in many of these situations. It's not my daily driver, but i use it daily. I can also say that almost everyone that sees me use it are blown away by it.

For me its a total success.
    raycpl likes this.
    10-05-2017 04:24 AM
    I would hate to be working at Microsoft right now as a dev. With all the hard work put into projects just to get it unexpectedly cancelled, never to see the light of day anymore. And you never know when you'll get the axe. Moral must be very low.
    No, not at all! Didn't you see what Mr. Nadella wrote in his self-congratulatory book? Microsoft has its groove back (Interesting choice of words, right?). I really rolled my eyes at that one when I read it (not the book itself, but the report of what it said).

This has been a problem at MS for years. MS giveth, and MS taketh away... often with not much time in between for a product to demonstrate whether it will sink or swim. Their commitment to any product or platform should never be assumed, and no doubt this is a part of the reason that the app gap in the Windows Store continued to exist for all the years there has been a Windows Store. They've shot themselves in the foot so many times that they don't even have any foot left to shoot.

Whether Continuum has failed or not depends on the definition of "failed." If the goal was to sell Windows 10 phones, I don't think anyone could argue that it failed. If the goal was to inspire third party devs to go out and write apps for Windows Store, it seems like it failed there too. If you're judging it strictly by capability, I don't know whether it is or not for lack of information.
    10-05-2017 04:47 AM
    It's not a failure. It is just another Microsoft pre-success story in Mobile. Just ask Nadella.
    10-05-2017 07:16 AM
    I know a number of people with 950's/xl and not one of them, myself included, has ever EVER used it. Why would you? it was far too limited and terrible to bother with.
    So ya declared it limited/terrible/dead without actually using it. Or seeing a friend using it. Brilliant.

I tried it, with a lapdock cobbled together from an old Motorola Atrix lapdock setup. Worked well. plug in the phone, a voila, a desktop. Play some World of tanks blitz with keyboard & mouse. browse internet. However, that brings me to why it failed for me; Edge. It never got extensions. The 950 is a nice phone, but without ad-blocking many sites came to a crawl. I'd say 90% of my home use is web browser based.

I can definitely see it working in some work environments. Ultimately, it just wasn't supported worth a damn.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-05-2017 08:35 AM
99 1234