02-13-2018 10:06 PM
545 1234 ...
tools
    Sing up, can't hear you.......

;-)
    10-05-2017 03:59 PM
    You grab a ukulele and sing Tiny Bubbles.
    Sing it Don!
    10-05-2017 05:10 PM
    Microsoft is definitely a better company since Satya Nadella,
    You should research the phrase "corporate raider" and the techniques they used. Satya Nadella is just copying those techniques to enrich himself. This is short term, get rich quick thinking. Not good.
    cool8man and Savas_P like this.
    10-05-2017 06:12 PM
    You should research the phrase "corporate raider" and the techniques they used. Satya Nadella is just copying those techniques to enrich himself. This is short term, get rich quick thinking. Not good.
    I disagree. I don't think Nadella is a corporate raider, that's actually quite strange to say about him, since he'd been with the company for ages and rose through the ranks, from what I understand. I just think Nadella is concentrating on what he knows, and probably getting rid of loss making parts that he doesn't understand.

At some point you have to realise that no matter how much money you invest, no matter how much effort is put in to make a quality product, even then, people still won't change. Microsoft will know this intimately, since there have been numerous attempts to offer alternatives to Windows, but yet, it still prevailed. So while having a mobile side makes lots of sense, it also won't go anywhere in the current state of affairs, since people are rather unlikely to just drop their iphones and androids and go to MS, moreso when they're so far behind.

Some years ago, IBM went through a rather similar restructure. They sold off their PC's division to lenovo, many people were quite surprised by this, but the thinking is clear today, they confined themselves to doing what they could with relatively less or no competition, meanwhile, getting out of the crowded PC business. In hindsight, they clearly knew what was on the horizon, since the sale happened in 2005.

I just think that a lot of people in the tech industry took notice of it, Microsoft is probably no different, they'll just concentrate on what they're good at and earns them money, meanwhile, they can let the others fight amongst themselves for the scraps.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-2017 07:48 PM
    You grab a ukulele and sing Tiny Bubbles.
    Wow, showing your age with the "Don Ho" reference! Old guys RULE!
    10-06-2017 12:23 PM
    I'm with you. I just got an Alcatel Idol 4S and I absolutely love it. I don't miss apps - and I have an old iPad so I have a lifeline to apps that I can't get on the Windows Phone if I really need them. I wish the Facebook app allowed me to "go live" but it works fine. I have great third party apps for some stuff - like Peregrine for Twitter and CloudMusik for my Google play Music library.

I love the live tile phone interface and Edge on my phone is great.
    10-06-2017 01:20 PM
    I have now 2 days an Samsung galaxy a5 2017 and I don't like it.
    YouTube app from Google is terrible with each time an advertising and also in the middle of an video. It is so anoing. The stream to my TV does not work and I need an other terrible app for that. The screen full of icons is just a disaster and than did I not even talk about the place where you can find all your apps.
    I stagagram uses ads hidden as a post.

Yes the apps can do more and there are more apps but the windows YouTube apps beat the officiall apps hands down.
    Facebook messenger can do a lot more and has a nice thing. You get an icon that is on the home screen and from there you can switch fast to the chat you have.
    But the positive things can not convince me to say that I like android more than windows phone.

I need an android system e cause of apps I need ells I would not get an android system.
    I tried an Windows styles theme but I misse the live tiles. Widgets don't solve this.
    I think I will carry 2 phones with me.
    My 950xl even do that it crashes a lot.
    I still love the windows system way more and the apps are not stuffed with apps like it is on android. It is just crazy. People say you get used to it but I hate it and I hate it by the second more. I would pay to get that crap away and for a decent interface.

Someone I know is using almost as long as I do a windows phone but he is looking to switch only because the bank stopped with the support of windows phone and more banks and apps are doing that. This makes that finally windows phone is useless.
    The worst thing is, is that all Microsoft apps are better than on there own platform.

I love windows phone but treated like garbage by Microsoft of loving the system. It is if they want you to leave.
    cool8man, bebochek and Savas_P like this.
    10-06-2017 06:25 PM
    Here you go, the horses mouth itself. Note that this is at an official event attended by actual reps of several PC OEMs but believe what you will, after all W10M obviously has the full support of Microsoft and they are focusing on it, right.....

Sent from mTalk
    But it's NOT from the horse's mouth itself, it's from someone who say they heard what the horse said.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that difference?
    F4lco and bebochek like this.
    10-07-2017 11:41 AM
    Well standing your ground is admirable.

Question is:
    What happens when there is no longer any ground to stand on?
    The question isn't nearly as profound or provocative as it may seem. If the "ground" disappears we move on. The better question is:

Why would you not invest in something that will do what you want for the time period you want it done?
    fatclue_98, rammstoon and Mach_E like this.
    10-07-2017 11:42 AM
    The question isn't nearly as profound or provocative as it may seem. If the "ground" disappears we move on. The better question is:

Why would you not invest in something that will do what you want for the time period you want it done?
    Because, for some, if you find something else that also does what you currently want but also offers longevity you tend to switch. Waiting for a disaster without planning only invites trouble. Probably a bit overboard (we’re not talking about a hurricane) but you get what I mean.
    10-07-2017 11:52 AM
    Me too. Just can't tolerate Android as using it feels like taking a step backward.
    10-07-2017 12:13 PM
    Because, for some, if you find something else that also does what you currently want but also offers longevity you tend to switch. Waiting for a disaster without planning only invites trouble. Probably a bit overboard (we’re not talking about a hurricane) but you get what I mean.
    Close but no cigar. If something does what you need then you tend to not look elsewhere. For most users, Windows on mobile isn't cutting it any more thus the mass exodus. I'll go back to your hurricane reference since I'm an expert though not by choice. We're in a hurricane watch right now. Conditions are favorable for a strike but there's not much time left to evacuate. You should have all your stuff in order, the house and boat secured and the car full of gas and ready to bolt.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2017 12:42 PM
    Close but no cigar. If something does what you need then you tend to not look elsewhere. For most users, Windows on mobile isn't cutting it any more thus the mass exodus. I'll go back to your hurricane reference since I'm an expert though not by choice. We're in a hurricane watch right now. Conditions are favorable for a strike but there's not much time left to evacuate. You should have all your stuff in order, the house and boat secured and the car full of gas and ready to bolt.

I can only speak for myself.
    For me, I left because I didn’t have confidence in what MS was doing. I didn’t want to get caught with my pants down or with an exploding cigar. I’d rather be with a company I trust to keep making and supporting mobile for a long time. Did my WP work for me? Sure, but I found something that worked just as well and has full support. I’m now well prepared for anything.

Keep safe my friend!
    10-07-2017 01:38 PM
    I can only speak for myself.
    For me, I left because I didn’t have confidence in what MS was doing. I didn’t want to get caught with my pants down or with an exploding cigar. I’d rather be with a company I trust to keep making and supporting mobile for a long time. Did my WP work for me? Sure, but I found something that worked just as well and has full support. I’m now well prepared for anything.

Keep safe my friend!
    I told you then and I'll say it again, there's no shame in going iOS. It's a better all-around phone. For me, Windows does a few things better than anyone else and they're very important. I'm going to ride out this storm as it's barely a Cat 1, but if the power stays out too long I'm histo.

10-07-2017 02:08 PM
    I understand what you're saying, but you changed the parameters of my example. I said if the device does what you want it to do for the time period you want it done.

In other words; if you care about a device lasting no more than two years, then if it lasts four years that's irrelevant. If you want as long a lasting device as possible then 'yes' it's an issue to take into account. But for all those people that switch every two years it might not be an issue.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-07-2017 02:15 PM
    I understand what you're saying, but you changed the parameters of my example. I said if the device does what you want it to do for the time period you want it done.

In other words; if you care about a device lasting no more than two years, then if it lasts four years that's irrelevant. If you want as long a lasting device as possible then 'yes' it's an issue to take into account. But for all those people that switch every two years it might not be an issue.
    Very true.
    For me though, irrelevant of time, I won’t stick with a company that shows no promise in a particular market. It takes time and effort to change operating systems. I want to do it on my own terms.
    I understand the other perspective though.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-07-2017 02:21 PM
    Very true.
    For me though, irrelevant of time, I won’t stick with a company that shows no promise in a particular market. It takes time and effort to change operating systems. I want to do it on my own terms.
    Let's assume for the sake of argument that MS "shows no promise" in the phone OS market. When should I switch and what do I do?

- I won't badmouth the company at every opportunity as that only serves to discourage others from investing. More investors = more revenue = more chance that MS "shows promise". What I've seen regarding W10M is a tremendous amount of negativity. I see other users of IOS and Android devices complaining about issues, but never as much about the brand (generally speaking).

- I won't switch until my current device doesn't do what I need it to do any longer. The longer I wait to switch the more I'll get for my money. I spent about $330 I think on the L950, and I might be willing to spend that again on a new phone.. .heck, maybe a bit more, but why would I do that now instead of when I have to? If this phone lasts me another year then surely I'll be far better off whining less and just getting last year's (this year's) Android model X next fall for far less...
    10-07-2017 02:26 PM
    Let's assume for the sake of argument that MS "shows no promise" in the phone OS market. When should I switch and what do I do?

- I won't badmouth the company at every opportunity as that only serves to discourage others from investing. More investors = more revenue = more chance that MS "shows promise". What I've seen regarding W10M is a tremendous amount of negativity. I see other users of IOS and Android devices complaining about issues, but never as much about the brand (generally speaking).

- I won't switch until my current device doesn't do what I need it to do any longer. The longer I wait to switch the more I'll get for my money. I spent about $330 I think on the L950, and I might be willing to spend that again on a new phone.. .heck, maybe a bit more, but why would I do that now instead of when I have to? If this phone lasts me another year then surely I'll be far better off whining less and just getting last year's (this year's) Android model X next fall for far less...
    I think that depends on the individual because we’re all different, right? I can’t tell you if/when to change and vice versa.

As far as negativity, I don’t blame consumers, I blame MS. We don’t make the decisions and people who have spent their hard earned money are tired of being let down. While you may see people complain about the other devices (all devices have issues) they have something many users of WM don’t have, trust. I trust Apple will fix issues and I trust they will be making devices I want in the future. I trust they will have stores where I can go get help if needed. That means a lot to me, more than money.

You sound like you have a plan too. Our plans are different but as long as we feel comfortable with them, that’s all that matters.
    Laura Knotek and werner6769 like this.
    10-07-2017 02:37 PM
    Very true.
    You know I'm a chronic switcher always searching for the Holy Grail of mobile OSes. I did this dance when Richard-head Apotheker ruined webOS and I'm doing it again. I've been seeing the writing on the wall since WP7.8 / WP8. While iOS is progressing, Android is actually regressing so I still have time. It's going to be another year and a half so in the meantime, why settle for 2nd best? Cinderella had until midnight, it's only 11:30. Why the rush?

aximtreo and Mach_E like this.
    10-07-2017 02:39 PM
    You know I'm a chronic switcher always searching for the Holy Grail of mobile OSes. I did this dance when Richard-head Apotheker ruined webOS and I'm doing it again. I've been seeing the writing on the wall since WP7.8 / WP8. While iOS is progressing, Android is actually regressing so I still have time. It's going to be another year and a half so in the meantime, why settle for 2nd best? Cinderella had until midnight, it's only 11:30. Why the rush?

See my response above.
    Remember, I’m talking about me only.
    10-07-2017 02:40 PM
    See my response above.
    Remember, I’m talking about me only.
    So was I. When I say "you" in a post I'm not referring to you specifically. English is funny that way, Spanish has some differentiators so pardon my generality.

TgeekB likes this.
    10-07-2017 02:43 PM
    So was I. When I say "you" in a post I'm not referring to you specifically. English is funny that way, Spanish has some differentiators so pardon my generality.

Yup, just want to make sure.
    I admire people standing their ground, as long as they’re doing it for the right reason. Same as those who switch.
    Trust me, I thought about it long and hard. The last thing I wanted to do was switch and sell off and purchase new devices. Once I made the decision though it was over. That’s the way I am. I’ll certainly stay in touch though and hope they turn things around. In the mean time I’m glad I did what I did.

I’m also done chronically switching. My new meds are working great!
    10-07-2017 02:48 PM
    Yup, just want to make sure.
    I admire people standing their ground, as long as they’re doing it for the right reason. Same as those who switch.
    Trust me, I thought about it long and hard. The last thing I wanted to do was switch and sell off and purchase new devices. Once I made the decision though it was over. That’s the way I am. I’ll certainly stay in touch though and hope they turn things around. In the mean time I’m glad I did what I did.

I’m also done chronically switching. My new meds are working great!
    Who's your doctor? Mine apparently sucks.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2017 02:54 PM
    Old friends from high school.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2017 06:45 PM
    I stuck with webOS until the bitter end. I even bought a Pre 3 after HP put all of their TouchPads on a fire sale. But I can't do that with Windows Mobile. After a couple of what I call "canary apps" announced they were leaving, I jumped to Android. I've managed to use mostly Microsoft apps on Android.

Canary apps, as in mineshaft canaries. I knew when those apps left it was over.
    10-08-2017 01:05 PM
545 1234 ...